Backyard Bird Watchers

Apparently, a lone male eastern phoebe has been attempting to build nests on two places above the screen doors of my porch in an attempt to attract a mate. Our coming and going doesn’t seem to dissuade it.

The phoebe chose one spot over the other, and my wife consented to left the nest be. We’ll see if the phoebe is successful in attracting a mate and rear a brood.

Apparently, a lone male eastern phoebe has been attempting to build nests on two places above the screen doors of my porch in an attempt to attract a mate. Our coming and going doesn’t seem to dissuade it.
Turns out, it was a female. She found a mate, and they’re nesting, hunting insects in my yard.

Reactions: Rishvol
The baby phoebes are making soft little noise when their parents arrive with food, and they are increasingly busy. 😎

Reactions: VolNExile
Apparently, the phoebes have a cowbird chick. Two phoebe chicks much too young to fledge were found on the ground below the nest. I’m crestfallen.

Apparently, the phoebes have a cowbird chick. Two phoebe chicks much too young to fledge were found on the ground below the nest. I’m crestfallen.
That's weird. Normally the cowbird will hatch before the Phoebes. Sorry to hear that I know you were enjoying the littlins

It’s weird that the smallest birds are the loudest and bravest. The crows are very skittish. The chickadees and cardinals make a lot of noise before dropping in and stick around the longest. I’ve only seen the blue jay once. They have nasty attitudes.

It’s weird that the smallest birds are the loudest and bravest. The crows are very skittish. The chickadees and cardinals make a lot of noise before dropping in and stick around the longest. I’ve only seen the blue jay once. They have nasty attitudes.
Blue Jays are among the most dedicated parents. They will continue to feed a fledgling that’s grown to be as big as they are.

We have been treated to a much more diverse group of migratory birds at my place over the last 3 to 4 years. Many different types of tanagers. Scarlet tanagers, Yellow and black tanagers, two pairs of orioles, and I saw my first pair of blue black grassquits this spring.

We have been treated to a much more diverse group of migratory birds at my place over the last 3 to 4 years. Many different types of tanagers. Scarlet tanagers, Yellow and black tanagers, two pairs of orioles, and I saw my first pair of blue black grassquits this spring.

Nice!

If you don't mind, what area are you in?

Near woods with large oak trees?

VN Store

Back