Backyard Bird Watchers

About six years ago we had a pileated woodpecker in our neighborhood that discovered the 100+ foot high metal TVA power line tower that is about 400 yards through the woods from our house. That guy terrorized the whole area for about a month. We hiked over to the tower to watch him. He would hammer on the metal tower for a while then he would let loose with that maniacal kuk-kuk-kuk-kuk call they do for a while and then back to drumming. It was a pretty funny to watch but way too loud.

Had nine silky flycatchers in a tree in our yard this morning. They usually just pass through on their way to who-knows-where, but the last two years they have taken up residence in some pepper trees in our yard.

Couldn't get a good picture so I borrowed one from the Gooleynets.

jpacker_20181230_159767_2400px-1-1200x800.jpg

What do you do when you find this? Do you pitch the cowbird egg?
An update to this, I checked the nest yesterday and the cowbird egg had hatched but the baby was dead. I don’t know if the finch knew it wasn’t hers and didn’t feed it or what happened. The others haven’t hatched yet.

Reactions: VolNExile
A hairy woodpecker paid me a visit. Must be traveling through. Couldn’t get a picture. 😕

Flock of robins several thousand strong visited my neighborhood this morning.

A flicker has been calling around my property the past few days. I’m pleased. A mated pair were regulars until development of the tract behind mine began six years ago.

Year round song birds are fussing over mating territory and calling. Even a few robins are hanging around. Tohees are fixing up their nest from last year. Signs of an early Spring.

Reactions: Danl
A pair of red tails are flying around my airspace, calling to each other. Once before, red tails nested near me. It would be grand if these chose to do so.

Cool. I got pigeons *****ing on my patio off their rooftop nest.

VN Store

Back