Backyard Bird Watchers

Forgot all about the bird count this weekend and now can't go out and join. Oh well I guess I'll just watch my feeder. So far 3 mourning doves, 10 American Robins, a Fox Sparrow, 3 Tufted Titmice, and 3 Carolina Chickadees

Forgot all about the bird count this weekend and now can't go out and join. Oh well I guess I'll just watch my feeder. So far 3 mourning doves, 10 American Robins, a Fox Sparrow, 3 Tufted Titmice, and 3 Carolina Chickadees

You can enter your counts in the Great Backyard Bird count for several days after the 14th. You don't have to count every day, one day or part days

Reactions: Rishvol
Does anyone in the greater Knoxville area know where I could purchase some homing pigeons?

Though the large flocks have moved on, some robins are hanging around. Another sign that Spring is coming?

Reactions: VolNExile
I love it when American Goldfinches are getting their summer plumage. Their heads are the vibrant yellow but their bodies are still the dull yellow of winter

Two weeks ago, male mockingbirds were becoming territorial and woodpeckers were drumming. Last week, some robins stuck around and Carolina wrens were getting spritely. Today, the resident birds were singing their territorial songs. Yep, Spring is coming!

Two weeks ago, male mockingbirds were becoming territorial and woodpeckers were drumming. Last week, some robins stuck around and Carolina wrens were getting spritely. Today, the resident birds were singing their territorial songs. Yep, Spring is coming!
A mocker cornered the cat under the deck. lol

Reactions: Rishvol and Tin Man
A pair of red shouldered hawks are nesting near me this year. Normally, they pass through north and south, Spring and Fall. The songbirds, squirrels, and chipmunks won’t be pleased.

I was eating breakfast and looking out the window this morning .... watching a couple of squirrels... when a big red tail hawk decided to end Mr. Squirrel. It was a fast death
I've never seen a hawk take a squirrel. Saw one get a dove before. I was dove hunting Hiwassee a couple years ago when a big flock of starlings flew over. Sparrow hawk came out of nowhere and punched a hole in the formation so to speak. Put three or four starlings down into the corn. He landed in there with them and pounced on one. Nature is indeed metal.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
I've never seen a hawk take a squirrel. Saw one get a dove before. I was dove hunting Hiwassee a couple years ago when a big flock of starlings flew over. Sparrow hawk came out of nowhere and punched a hole in the formation so to speak. Put three or four starlings down into the corn. He landed in there with them and pounced on one. Nature is indeed metal.
Best one I’ve seen was a hawk hammering a duck on the river. Me and a buddy were floating the Red river up near Clarksville. We could see a hawk circling up high in the sky and another one screeching over and over that sounded like it was in the treetops. A minute or two later we saw two ducks up in front of us and all of the sudden the hawk came down over our heads and absolutely hammered one of the ducks...... lots of splashing and wings flapping.... the hawk gets airborne with the duck in tow, but may have gotten spooked by us due to the current taking us up so close. It dropped the duck, but we watched it start circling back as soon as it took off.. as we floated by the duck it was quickly swimming in circles and looked panicked.... it looked as though the hawk had ripped off part of its skull cap as it had a gaping head wound....we turned out kayaks at round and was floating backwards thinking the hawk would come back and it did within 20 seconds or so.... another violent attack and it took off with the duck.... then within another 30 seconds or so.... the screeching in the treetops stopped. We figured it was the female on her nest and the male brought the family their lunch.

Best one I’ve seen was a hawk hammering a duck on the river. Me and a buddy were floating the Red river up near Clarksville. We could see a hawk circling up high in the sky and another one screeching over and over that sounded like it was in the treetops. A minute or two later we saw two ducks up in front of us and all of the sudden the hawk came down over our heads and absolutely hammered one of the ducks...... lots of splashing and wings flapping.... the hawk gets airborne with the duck in tow, but may have gotten spooked by us due to the current taking us up so close. It dropped the duck, but we watched it start circling back as soon as it took off.. as we floated by the duck it was quickly swimming in circles and looked panicked.... it looked as though the hawk had ripped off part of its skull cap as it had a gaping head wound....we turned out kayaks at round and was floating backwards thinking the hawk would come back and it did within 20 seconds or so.... another violent attack and it took off with the duck.... then within another 30 seconds or so.... the screeching in the treetops stopped. We figured it was the female on her nest and the male brought the family their lunch.
The hawk I saw get a dove was like a cartoon. The doves were going full speed one direction and the hawk came full speed from the other direction and where the dove got got there was just a poof of feathers hanging in the air.

I was fishing at Hiwassee and there was a big bald eagle sitting in a dead tree near my spot. I thought about playing out the next fish I hooked to see if the bird would come investigate. Then I thought about what would I do if a two and a half foot tall hungry bird landed near me and was pissed I had tricked it. I did not pursue that idea any further.

The hawk I saw get a dove was like a cartoon. The doves were going full speed one direction and the hawk came full speed from the other direction and where the dove got got there was just a poof of feathers hanging in the air.

I was fishing at Hiwassee and there was a big bald eagle sitting in a dead tree near my spot. I thought about playing out the next fish I hooked to see if the bird would come investigate. Then I thought about what would I do if a two and a half foot tall hungry bird landed near me and was pissed I had tricked it. I did not pursue that idea any further.
Sounds like when Randy Johnson nailed that bird with a pitch:

PUxI.gif

I think he could do just fine. I saw this one dive down into the river and catch this fish. Then could barely fly with it up to the road.

Attachments

• IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back