Backyard Bird Watchers

I guess I need to get a book. We have 3 different types of woodpeckers, bluebirds, blue jays, cardinals, finches wrens, several other small birds along with the dives, crows, blackbirds and starlings -and visits by a couple of hawks in the trees
My favoirite is the red headed woodpecker

Attachments

• 9841402A-B618-4275-88D8-2EC973A1F7BF.jpeg
    9841402A-B618-4275-88D8-2EC973A1F7BF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 774E539D-512B-4D38-A481-5C118874DBC8.jpeg
    774E539D-512B-4D38-A481-5C118874DBC8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
I love crocosmia! Perfect!

Unfortunately, trumpet vines are crazy invasive around here and a good way to earn the undying hatred of neighbors. Same with cypressvine/ hummingbird vine. I do have trumpet honeysuckle though, which I hope will take off this year.

Yea Trumpets do take off and they definitely don't please the neighbors often....

Reactions: VolNExile
Yea Trumpets do take off and they definitely don't please the neighbors often....
At our last house, the neighbor’s trumpet vine was spreading underground - under the asphalt DRIVEWAY - and was coming up through the pavement. That was instant respect for me.

Reactions: Wireless1
We have what seems like a hundred cardinals, several blue jays, one big red-bellied woodpecker, finches, juncos (my favorites), bluebirds (also a favorite), chickadees, and some tufted titmouses (titmice?). Watching the birds around is one of my favorite things on the wintery mornings.

I guess I need to get a book. We have 3 different types of woodpeckers, bluebirds, blue jays, cardinals, finches wrens, several other small birds along with the dives, crows, blackbirds and starlings -and visits by a couple of hawks in the trees
My favoirite is the red headed woodpecker
Weird enough I learned just a week or two ago that there are red-bellied woodpeckers (what you got in the picture... they don't even have red bellies!), red headed woodpeckers that have more red over their faces, and pileated woodpeckers that have a crown. The red bellied one we have at our house is a feeder hog.

Weird enough I learned just a week or two ago that there are red-bellied woodpeckers (what you got in the picture... they don't even have red bellies!), red headed woodpeckers that have more red over their faces, and pileated woodpeckers that have a crown. The red bellied one we have at our house is a feeder hog.
They do tend to be more aggressive and dominant. I get owls frequently as well.

At our last house, the neighbor’s trumpet vine was spreading underground - under the asphalt DRIVEWAY - and was coming up through the pavement. That was instant respect for me.

At my current house (been here 5 years) a trumpet had been planted on the property line. I get most of the benefit of the beauty as it's behind the neighbors storage shed and provides me with privacy, but I see runners coming up all over the place in his yard.

I see several different types of woodpeckers on a regular basis..... every now and then I’ll see the big pileated woodpecker
Awesome birds! Used to see several while living in Crossville, but I've only seen a couple since living in Nashville area. A smaller redhead visits my bird feeder on a regular basis.

Attachments

• Pileated woodpecker.jpg
    Pileated woodpecker.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 1
Redheaded woodpeckers claim territory across the road. Red bellied woodpeckers claim territory on my side of the road. It gets noisy on the walk down the road, sometimes. Downy woodpeckers don’t seem to care and are regular visitors to my property. Yesterday, an exotic visitor - I couldn’t quite identify it. A medium shadowy woodpecker maybe.

Red-shouldered hawks have been hanging around my area this winter. If they stick around this month, they’ll have chosen to nest nearby. The last time hawks nested in my area, it was a pair of red tails in 2014.

We used to have more towhees at our other house, but now we have at least two of those pileated woodpeckers that rage on any dead wood they find. I'm sure I had seen them before but when I saw one in April I said holy **** that thing is huge. One of them is easily larger than a raven, it sounds like someone hitting a 2x4 with a hammer when he goes to work on a tree or log. Our big dog has managed to eat two birds in the past couple weeks, there's a big tree behind the feeder and she keeps that between them and her and then comes around the corner to get whatever birds are on the ground. Got a goldfinch and a titmouse. I'll most likely have to move the feeders to more open space. People have been talking about salmonella poisoning due to wet feed so that's all I need. We have tons of bluebirds, a couple behind us has bluebird boxes on half a dozen trees and I think a lot of them are occupied. We have at least one sparrow hawk and several red tails that circle for squirrels and doves.

We had a neighborhood cat last year that would always come by our feeders for a chickadee snack

I have a Cooper’s hawk that likes to murder small rodents in my yard. Has killed a couple birds too.

a buddy of mine has some awesome shots of one - looks like a tasty wren

144512404_10157719948662551_8312298610138840430_o.jpg

On the coast, at my sister’s home, a young Sharp-shinned hawk chasing prey was stunned striking a window. I grabbed some paper towels and gently lifted the hawk. I examined it and found no apparent injuries. It slowly regained awareness. When it seemed able to orient itself upright, I placed it on the ground. It lingered beside me for a bit, then flew to the low branches of a nearby oak.

Sharp-shinned hawks are about the size of pigeons. Cooper’s hawks are bigger than ravens.

VN Store

Back