Backyard Bird Watchers

I’m not a bird watcher but would like to know if there’s a way to protect this girl and future hatchlings from my dogs? She’s in a potted fern less than three feet from my back door and as you can see only as high off the deck as the back of a chair. If I move the plant, will mama come back? I would think she would watch and know where it’s moved to. I could create a better barricade but the babies would be (you know) by my dogs when they are pushed out of the nest. That’s just what dogs do.
Any ideas?IMG_2121.jpeg

I’m not a bird watcher but would like to know if there’s a way to protect this girl and future hatchlings from my dogs? She’s in a potted fern less than three feet from my back door and as you can see only as high off the deck as the back of a chair. If I move the plant, will mama come back? I would think she would watch and know where it’s moved to. I could create a better barricade but the babies would be (you know) by my dogs when they are pushed out of the nest. That’s just what dogs do.
Any ideas?View attachment 635607
If you have some fencing that momma can get in and out of that may work. This seems like a first year mother because of nest location. As bad as it seems momma may move on from the nest if the eggs haven't hatches yet because of the dogs

Reactions: Tin Man
If you have some fencing that momma can get in and out of that may work. This seems like a first year mother because of nest location. As bad as it seems momma may move on from the nest if the eggs haven't hatches yet because of the dogs
Thanks, she sits on her eggs and seems unbothered by traffic and dogs in and out the door. The dogs are aware she’s there but are not interested. My concern is that the eggs will hatch and the dogs will do what they will naturally do. Can’t blame the dog.

VN Store

Back