'22 AZ WR Kyler Kasper (Oregon commit)

I disagree.

Floyd MONEY Mayweather is absolutely just about his money. It's merely a tool.
But when you're smart with it, it can become a positive motivator.

It's just the product of the evolution of sports. Dieon Sanders would have done the same if he were playing as a high schooler today.
Let them get their bread when they can, and then work hard for even more..
I'm not against NIL, but there should be a checklist of reasons to attend a university. If money overrides everything else on that checklist for a kid, then it's a red flag for me.

My dad had played and coached in the SEC. He stressed education and the importance of being happy with a school over athletics.
Was your dad or you offered a million dollars to come play football….. if it was strictly education then Vandy, or Stanford would probably dominate…. It’s true that other factors do come into play but financial reasons would be number one on just about everybody’s list.

Was your dad or you offered a million dollars to come play football….. if it was strictly education then Vandy, or Stanford would probably dominate…. It’s true that other factors do come into play but financial reasons would be number one on just about everybody’s list.
Nope. Neither was anyone else in the early 90's. If a kid only has athletic potential, by all means, point him towards the cash and nothing else. Top recruits will get paid wherever they choose to go if they produce. Do you want Spyre to just start writing checks for whatever amount 16 and 17 year olds ask for? I know that I don't.

Nope. Neither was anyone else in the early 90's. If a kid only has athletic potential, by all means, point him towards the cash and nothing else. Top recruits will get paid wherever they choose to go if they produce. Do you want Spyre to just start writing checks for whatever amount 16 and 17 year olds ask for? I know that I don't.
I want Spyre to work hand in hand with this staff to bring in the best available players possible…. I don’t care what they pay them….Didn’t care what we paid them during the 90’s and don’t care now…. Just win baby!

I want Spyre to work hand in hand with this staff to bring in the best available players possible…. I don’t care what they pay them….Didn’t care what we paid them during the 90’s and don’t care now…. Just win baby!
Emphasis on that last sentence!

Emphasis on that last sentence! I don't care what we do or don't do. Just win and within the confines of this new era of signing players.

From Athletic article today…think this is Kasper as Oregon is one of teams focused on (us, A&M, Miami, Texas are the others) then a bunch of whining from USC, Bama, Ohio St, UCLA, Kiffin lol. Great read.

The Athletic reviewed three recruits’ recently signed NIL contracts, each with a different school-specific collective. The Athletic agreed to preserve the anonymity of all parties in order to get a better sense of the current market rates for top recruits. A four-star receiver landed a deal that will pay him more than $1 million over the next four years in exchange for his exclusive NIL rights. A defensive lineman ranked among the top 10 at his position received a three-year deal worth $1 million. And a three-star defensive lineman signed for $500,000 over four years. The latter two are non-exclusive.

From Athletic article today…think this is Kasper as Oregon is one of teams focused on (us, A&M, Miami, Texas are the others) then a bunch of whining from USC, Bama, Ohio St, UCLA, Kiffin lol. Great read.

The Athletic reviewed three recruits’ recently signed NIL contracts, each with a different school-specific collective. The Athletic agreed to preserve the anonymity of all parties in order to get a better sense of the current market rates for top recruits. A four-star receiver landed a deal that will pay him more than $1 million over the next four years in exchange for his exclusive NIL rights. A defensive lineman ranked among the top 10 at his position received a three-year deal worth $1 million. And a three-star defensive lineman signed for $500,000 over four years. The latter two are non-exclusive.

was just reading the same thing. oregon's nil collective doesn't get mentioned much, but they, along with us, ta&m, texas, etc. have apparently mobilized quicker than most schools. this was most certainly a bidding war.

whats interesting is the dynamic that creates between these collectives and the coaching staffs. i think we all assume there's some communication happening between the two, but it can't be much. who is setting the priorities? is spyre setting their spending threshold, or is the staff dictating that based on priorities? that's the part i'm most curious about at this point.

was just reading the same thing. oregon's nil collective doesn't get mentioned much, but they, along with us, ta&m, texas, etc. have apparently mobilized quicker than most schools. this was most certainly a bidding war.

whats interesting is the dynamic that creates between these collectives and the coaching staffs. i think we all assume there's some communication happening between the two, but it can't be much. who is setting the priorities? is spyre setting their spending threshold, or is the staff dictating that based on priorities? that's the part i'm most curious about at this point.
I would say....that the coaching staff and Spyre work to allocate certain amounts to certain positions, based on what Spyre thinks it will have available. Obviously, we offered $8M for a QB, because that's what Heupel values most. We arent offering near as much for other positions. But, I'd guess that when a staff truly wants a player and considers them a take, they talk to Spyre and Spyre makes an offer based on what has been allocated to that position group, as predetermined by the staff. If that player wants more, then they may have to call Coach and say, "How bad do you want him?"

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
I would say....that the coaching staff and Spyre work to allocate certain amounts to certain positions, based on what Spyre thinks it will have available. Obviously, we offered $8M for a QB, because that's what Heupel values most. We arent offering near as much for other positions. But, I'd guess that when a staff truly wants a player and considers them a take, they talk to Spyre and Spyre makes an offer based on what has been allocated to that position group, as predetermined by the staff. If that player wants more, then they may have to call Coach and say, "How bad do you want him?"

i assume its some form of this, but legally they're supposed to be completely silo'd from each other. whatever communication is happening is likely not as brazen as just calling heup up to discuss the big board.

i assume its some form of this, but legally they're supposed to be completely silo'd from each other. whatever communication is happening is likely not as brazen as just calling heup up to discuss the big board.
Well, it could be as simple as "Staff gives them Spyres number. Recruit calls Spyre. Says the code word is 'well spoken'. Spyre knows that Heup sent them."

As we're all adjusting to a new landscape, here's one (of many thoughts) to consider:

Let's say an injury keeps you from a career in the pros. Can you list the Bachelor's degree majors with which you might accumulate $500K in a savings account over four years?

It's not a difficult argument to make that a hefty NIL deal is worth far more than what a college education can earn today (with specific exceptions).

Like I said, only one of many thoughts to consider in this new world...

That’s an irrelevant question IMO. We will always have recruits interested. It’s a question of the quality of the recruit if we want to catch Alabama, Georgia and others. I’m hopeful with Heupel’s offense. We’ll see.
Does the #1 recruit in Tennessee have pull ? Does it tip the scale ? Nico has a positive effect on this program. His pull is being shown with every recruit that mentions him. It's a huge factor. Sylvester soon.... possibly another... have fun downplaying. Go Vols

i think the interesting thing here is something we have yet to see, and see how it is going to be received, and that is the fact that there are going to be misses as it pertains to NIL. and i hate to say it, but with us being Tennessee, and how over the past 20 years everything seems to eventually blow up in our face, we will probably be an example of a big miss somewhere. not to pick on a kid, but take wanya morris for example. 5 star OL, probably would have been a million dollar NIL investment (probably was anyway, we just didnt hear about it), and i think we can agree that would have been a miss at that price point. how will the fanbase react to a player who doesnt live up to that deal? i think that will be something to see. it is going to add pressure to players to live up to these deals or they will face a new criticism that players who were paid under the table didnt face. another thing i will be interested to see is how it will work when SPYRE says "we have a budget of $10 million dollars this year" and they sign players to that budget, but a redshirt freshman player like a cedric tillman blows up and now you have to start finding money for him. budgets will be fluid and i already hear that the UT administration is not real happy that money they thought would have been gifted for projects is going to recruiting budgets outside of their control. tis whole thing is going to be fascinating to watch unfold

Last edited:
Does the #1 recruit in Tennessee have pull ? Does it tip the scale ? Nico has a positive effect on this program. His pull is being shown with every recruit that mentions him. It's a huge factor. Sylvester soon.... possibly another... have fun downplaying. Go Vols
He may have some pull in getting interest here. My original posts never indicated otherwise. It is the extent of the pull which is TBD.

I downplay for the reason that I don’t want to have a huge letdown be as in the case of Kasper. Been thru it too many times. The buzz with Kasper exceeded anything I remember reading about with any other recruit.

You have to admit the buzz and momentum for Kasper in VN far exceeded any other recruit I have seen since I joined the forum 4/5 years ago.
Not even close IMO. So much drama over so many recruits every year. I think today is fresh in your mind but I bet if you go back there is this kind of drama over some recruit every couple of months. Last year we had this much drama over three different QBs, not to mention RBs and DTs.

When you make 250 offers in a class, 225 will end up going elsewhere. Some of those losses will be very disappointing.

VN Store

Back