'22 AZ WR Kyler Kasper (Oregon commit)

I disagree. Let's look at this case. We have a top ranked QB, clearly because of the NIL. In any other era it would attract top WR, and I'm aware were still in it for several. But these kids are looking for money and bids, and that's determining where they go.

Let's say, you got a 2-star or 3-star that beats out your 5-star. What do you think happens when that 5-star gets beat out? Is NIL based on performance like Pro athletes? If I'm the 5-star I might sit on the bench and just continue to get paid. The 2-star/3-star will be looking for the same or better deal than the college student driving a Jag but riding the pine or he's probably gone.

It’s not “clearly” because of NIL. It’s assumed.

I disagree. Let's look at this case. We have a top ranked QB, clearly because of the NIL. In any other era it would attract top WR, and I'm aware were still in it for several. But these kids are looking for money and bids, and that's determining where they go.

Let's say, you got a 2-star or 3-star that beats out your 5-star. What do you think happens when that 5-star gets beat out? Is NIL based on performance like Pro athletes? If I'm the 5-star I might sit on the bench and just continue to get paid. The 2-star/3-star will be looking for the same or better deal than the college student driving a Jag but riding the pine or he's probably gone.
I can’t see where having Nico committed and recruiting is negative in any way. If you have a 2-3 star who comes out of nowhere (unlikely) to beat them out? You have somebody more talented…on the roster! Then Spyre gets them paid. You act like YOU’RE losing money. Believe it or not, the best were always getting money. Supply and demand is undefeated in the real world.

Do you ever see a scenario where by NIL, a player I could make more than a coach?
No. Because coaches are beneficiaries or billion dollar deals between the universities and broadcasting. NIL deals are smaller tho still plentiful pools to swim in.

Most pro contracts are not based on performance, and what you are describing does happen in the pros. Albert Haynesworth in 2009 is a great example. But it's exceedingly rare.

Most people don't think like that. I have a great contract so I can coast. No.. I'm working toward my next contract.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Everything doesn't come down to money for everyone. If it does, then why bother with recruiting? You will have certain situations where a kid's family is destitute and needs to get out of their situation right now, but you really don't want kids that go somewhere based on the highest bidder. They don't have the maturity to make the investment worthwhile. If they do have early success, they will likely leave your school for a bigger payday. It becomes about instant gratification. They aren't likely to put in the work for what should be a bigger NFL payoff. How many 5* busts do we see in every recruiting class? This just makes it more likely. A WR's success is dependent on offensive scheme and QB play. There aren't many schools that offer the chance to maximize that potential on the biggest stage in college football than UT does right now.

I am fairly certain this scenario has been discussed and addressed.

Everything doesn't come down to money for everyone. If it does, then why bother with recruiting? You will have certain situations where a kid's family is destitute and needs to get out of their situation right now, but you really don't want kids that go somewhere based on the highest bidder. They don't have the maturity to make the investment worthwhile. If they do have early success, they will likely leave your school for a bigger payday. It becomes about instant gratification. They aren't likely to put in the work for what should be a bigger NFL payoff. How many 5* busts do we see in every recruiting class? This just makes it more likely. A WR's success is dependent on offensive scheme and QB play. There aren't many schools that offer the chance to maximize that potential on the biggest stage in college football than UT does right now.

All that is true.

However it does seem that is the ca$e in this scenario.

And spyre's right. Kasper is a great player. But 1.5 mil for a WR that only impacts at WR for 3 years.

Don't need elite WRs for this offense to flourish.

Last edited:
All that is true.

However it does seem that is the ca$e in this scenario.

And spyre right. Kasper is a great player. But 1.5 mil for a WR that only impacts at WR for 3 years.

Don't need elite WRs for this offense to Flourish.
That's why I say pass on those recruits if it's all about the money.

Let’s be honest….. if someone is offering us 500,000 and the other place is offering us everything else but money….. Almost every single one of us would take the money and run…. Now if someone is offering 500,000 and another school gets in the neighborhood like 350,000….. Then all the other factors would come into play….. I’m sure we have a finite amount of money and I don’t think Kaspar is worth giving as big a chunk as it sounds like Oregon was willing to give..

Most pro contracts are not based on performance, and what you are describing does happen in the pros. Albert Haynesworth in 2009 is a great example. But it's exceedingly rare.

Most people don't think like that. I have a great contract so I can coast. No.. I'm working toward my next contract.

Some big contract extensions may be a reward for playing well during their 1st contract. Many contracts are based in potential

Let’s be honest….. if someone is offering us 500,000 and the other place is offering us everything else but money….. Almost every single one of us would take the money and run…. Now if someone is offering 500,000 and another school gets in the neighborhood like 350,000….. Then all the other factors would come into play….. I’m sure we have a finite amount of money and I don’t think Kaspar is worth giving as big a chunk as it sounds like Oregon was willing to give..
I was offered a nice financial package by a couple of schools when I was a recruit and also told that I was the #1 recruit in that class for them. I chose the school that I loved when I was taking visits and not the money or promises to be RB1. It's easy for us, as adults, to say it's about money. We've had to do the 40+ hour grind and have financial responsibilities. That wasn't the case when I was 17.

I was offered a nice financial package by a couple of schools when I was a recruit and also told that I was the #1 recruit in that class for them. I chose the school that I loved when I was taking visits and not the money or promises to be RB1. It's easy for us, as adults, to say it's about money. We've had to do the 40+ hour grind and have financial responsibilities. That wasn't the case when I was 17.

I’d love to see this hypothetical class if parents and handlers would just let kids follow their hearts.

That's why I say pass on those recruits if it's all about the money.
I disagree.

Floyd MONEY Mayweather is absolutely just about his money. It's merely a tool.
But when you're smart with it, it can become a positive motivator.

It's just the product of the evolution of sports. Dieon Sanders would have done the same if he were playing as a high schooler today.
Let them get their bread when they can, and then work hard for even more..

Reactions: VolFaninFla
You must have been a different breed of kid…. My kids would crawl on broken glass to get to a huge financial windfall.

So was Bob Hope funny in person?

Reactions: volbeast33

VN Store

Back