Aviation Discussion

After reading stuckmic, how did all of these people know what facility they were getting before even going to the academy? I think I’d rather go to the academy and get a choice honestly.

It’s just how the hiring process used to be. There may be some people in the pipelines that were hired under a previous bid and just haven’t got a class date yet.

I applied for a bid in Jan of ‘11 and I got to pick two states. I was eligible to get picked up at any facility in those two states. I knew by April or so that I was going to ZME, even thought I didn’t get a FOL until a few months later.

It’s just how the hiring process used to be. There may be some people in the pipelines that were hired under a previous bid and just haven’t got a class date yet.

I applied for a bid in Jan of ‘11 and I got to pick two states. I was eligible to get picked up at any facility in those two states. I knew by April or so that I was going to ZME, even thought I didn’t get a FOL until a few months later.

Do you think they will work with me to keep me near TN? Memphis would be great because I could transfer to the Jackson unit. Atlanta would work as well. Only 3 1/2 or a quick flight on the days I need back in Knoxville.

Do you think they will work with me to keep me near TN? Memphis would be great because I could transfer to the Jackson unit. Atlanta would work as well. Only 3 1/2 or a quick flight on the days I need back in Knoxville.

Unfortunately they probably won’t really work with you on getting placed at a facility of your preference to start out. Your facility, once you get there, should help you out to the extent they can when you are on military leave.

There’s a new guy here in the guard I talked to for a bit. His unit is near St Louis. He wanted to select Salt Lake Center but chose Memphis just because it’s a closer drive to his guard unit. They have changed his days off to help him not miss training time while he’s on guard duty.

I will say don’t turn anything down based on where they “may” send you. Nothing is concrete anymore on what facility you’re going to until you pass the academy.

Unfortunately they probably won’t really work with you on getting placed at a facility of your preference to start out. Your facility, once you get there, should help you out to the extent they can when you are on military leave.

There’s a new guy here in the guard I talked to for a bit. His unit is near St Louis. He wanted to select Salt Lake Center but chose Memphis just because it’s a closer drive to his guard unit. They have changed his days off to help him not miss training time while he’s on guard duty.

I will say don’t turn anything down based on where they “may” send you. Nothing is concrete anymore on what facility you’re going to until you pass the academy.

Transferring isn't that hard anyways.

I hear if you are really nice to the OPs manager and don't check out at any position you can become a Sup at a lower tier airport.........................................

Reactions: 1 person
I drove down to Atlanta and have a tour scheduled for ATL Center. I’m pretty excited to see what it’s all about.

Cool, I did my interview down there. All centers are laid out the same.

The guy who gave the tour was phenomenal. I got a lot of questions answered. The area he works actually includes Tri Cities airspace so I plugged in for about an hour and he explained things.

He says the most understaffed location is ZOA. That’s just about worst case scenario.

The guy who gave the tour was phenomenal. I got a lot of questions answered. The area he works actually includes Tri Cities airspace so I plugged in for about an hour and he explained things.

He says the most understaffed location is ZOA. That’s just about worst case scenario.

Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah Oakland isn’t a sought after place to live and they have a pretty high wash out rate I think.

From the pilot side of the house, DAL is working with 7 colleges to establish ab initio programs for a path to the seats at Delta. MTSU is the closest to Tennessee, and Auburn is the biggest in the SEC. I don't know a lot about the programs per se, but if any of you have kids that are interested in becoming an airline pilot it might not be a bad way to go. (I would personally recommend the Air Guard first, but this is another way if you don't like the military thing)

Delta is hiring over 1000 pilots/year for the forseeable future and retirements are ramping up so that 4000 will be retiring by 2023 (I believe). We currently have 14,400 pilots on the list.

If anybody is interested in learning more about this I will get an email address for the purpose and you or your kids can contact me about it. I would be glad to help.

From the pilot side of the house, DAL is working with 7 colleges to establish ab initio programs for a path to the seats at Delta. MTSU is the closest to Tennessee, and Auburn is the biggest in the SEC. I don't know a lot about the programs per se, but if any of you have kids that are interested in becoming an airline pilot it might not be a bad way to go. (I would personally recommend the Air Guard first, but this is another way if you don't like the military thing)

Delta is hiring over 1000 pilots/year for the forseeable future and retirements are ramping up so that 4000 will be retiring by 2023 (I believe). We currently have 14,400 pilots on the list.

If anybody is interested in learning more about this I will get an email address for the purpose and you or your kids can contact me about it. I would be glad to help.

I gave it a thought, but I’m glad the ATC thing worked out for me. I’ll definitely pass this info along to my aviation buddies, though.

One of the perks of my job, got to work UT’s King Air this morning. Always fun to give them a shortcut and a Go Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
I ended up getting the TH-67, a Bell 206, for primary flight training. I’m about 11 hours in and have my first checkride then solo flight middle of next week 😳

I ended up getting the TH-67, a Bell 206, for primary flight training. I’m about 11 hours in and have my first checkride then solo flight middle of next week 😳[/QUOTE

Will your classmates throw you in the pool like in the good old days ??

For any of you who are interested in warbirds and old aircraft in general, I would highly recommend checking out Kermit Weeks' Youtube Channel.

I have binge watched nearly every Kermie Cam episode on his entire channel lol.

Kermit Weeks Hangar
- YouTube

VN Store

Back