Aviation Discussion

I saw in a previous post you said you were headed to Rucker soon. I was born there, old man was USAF but instructed army pilots there for awhile.

Tri-Cities, this might be a long post but wanted to give you an idea of what en-route training is like. I figure you already know more than me about the terminal world.

You’ll go to OKC for 3-4 months and have to pass the academy there. It’s set up to teach people with no experience but can be difficult. Washout rate ranges from 20-40% normally. Towards the end of your time there they’ll give your class a list of possible destinations for everyone in your class. Whoever graduates with the highest average gets first pick for facility.

After you graduate from the academy you’ll spend a month or two drawing maps/learning airspace and going over letters of agreement.

Eventually you’ll start D-school, which will be similar to the academy but specific to your area that you’ll be working in. All of your “schools” and academy will consist of classroom learning and time in the lab working with simulated airplanes. Pretty much a D-side is there to assist the controller talking to the pilots, and does stuff like coordinate with other controllers. After this you’ll go to the floor and train with live traffic on every d-side in your area. There’s a minimum and maximum number of hours you can train on each sector. Once your trainers recommend you then you’ll do a check ride with your supervisor plugged in.

Once you get all of your d-sides you may spend some time working those sectors by yourself before r school. Here you pretty much redo everything you just did previously except this time you’re the r-side, or controller actually talking to the aircraft. After r-school you go back to the floor to train and finally get to talk to some real planes.

Depending on how long you have to wait for classes to start, average time to check out at a Center is probably 2-3 years. You do get incremental raises for passing certain stages of training as well.

I appreciate the insight. Sounds like it’s a pretty good challenge.

Do you think I’d have to go through the full academy since I already have a CTO?

I saw in a previous post you said you were headed to Rucker soon. I was born there, old man was USAF but instructed army pilots there for awhile.

It’s a neat little area for someone who loves aviation, specifically helicopters. Do you think the FAA would care that I will be gone close to two years before ever starting?

I appreciate the insight. Sounds like it’s a pretty good challenge.

Do you think I’d have to go through the full academy since I already have a CTO?

I’m pretty sure that you do. If you get a tower the pass/fail ratio is much higher.

As long as you get that TOL before 31 you should be ok.

I guess I need to let the FAA know I’ll be out of contact for a couple months in case they ever decide to review my packet.

Reactions: 1 person
I think the cobra is one of the most beautiful helicopters out there. Love the Zulu the marines have. It’s just something about the sleek profile.

I’ve read probably 5 or 6 different books from the Vietnam era. I can’t imagine flying back then.

CW2
Chickenhawk
Dust off
Firebirds
Low Level Hell

I tried to get at least one from each mission. Favorite was probably low level hell. Scouts were insane.

50 years later, Bell’s Cobra helicopter still going strong | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

It’s one of those timeless designs, much like the B52.

Unfortunately bell has lost all the contracts except for the marines. I’m slightly bummed my training will be in the new trainer based off an EC-145. I was hoping for the old 206.

It’s one of those timeless designs, much like the B52.

Unfortunately bell has lost all the contracts except for the marines. I’m slightly bummed my training will be in the new trainer based off an EC-145. I was hoping for the old 206.

Fly a Hind. :loco:

I got my tentative offer of employment from the faa today. It says my position speciality is enroute. I’ll be happy if that’s where they put me, but I was hoping for a tower.

I got my tentative offer of employment from the faa today. It says my position speciality is enroute. I’ll be happy if that’s where they put me, but I was hoping for a tower.

enroute = more money.

Towers are easy...but less money.

That’s great, step 1 of 900 down. I think you’ll enjoy en-route. Depending where they send you, you’ll get to do a little bit of everything.

If you’ve never been to a Center before and want to see what it’s like before you start, it should be pretty easy to arrange a tour. They’ll probably also give you a quick tour during your interview, which will probably be at ZTL based on your location.

That’s great, step 1 of 900 down. I think you’ll enjoy en-route. Depending where they send you, you’ll get to do a little bit of everything.

If you’ve never been to a Center before and want to see what it’s like before you start, it should be pretty easy to arrange a tour. They’ll probably also give you a quick tour during your interview, which will probably be at ZTL based on your location.

So I’m for sure on a predetermined path to enroute? That’s so weird. It says all I have to do is pass a flight physical and background check to get a firm offer. Think they’ll use my class I and secret clearance from the military?

So I’m for sure on a predetermined path to enroute? That’s so weird. It says all I have to do is pass a flight physical and background check to get a firm offer. Think they’ll use my class I and secret clearance from the military?

I didn’t consider that, yeah they probably won’t redo your clearance. Do you not have to do an interview or take the MMPI anymore? That’s cool if you don’t.

Yes, sounds like you’re en-route now. I knew my facility already when I got the TOL. Get checked out, then you can transfer/apply for jobs/do a facility swap, if you want to move somewhere closer to home.

I have heard from some of our new hires that they’ll give you a tentative list of facilities that will be offered to your class. The list always changes they say though, so know that it’s not in stone. Apparently some people have quit halfway through the academy because their facility of choice wasn’t on the tentative list, only for it to reappear later on the actual final list for the class.

It sounds like each class is having 6-8 centers to choose from, so you’ll have some options, especially if you can pass with a high grade.

I didn’t consider that, yeah they probably won’t redo your clearance. Do you not have to do an interview or take the MMPI anymore? That’s cool if you don’t.

Yes, sounds like you’re en-route now. I knew my facility already when I got the TOL. Get checked out, then you can transfer/apply for jobs/do a facility swap, if you want to move somewhere closer to home.

I have heard from some of our new hires that they’ll give you a tentative list of facilities that will be offered to your class. The list always changes they say though, so know that it’s not in stone. Apparently some people have quit halfway through the academy because their facility of choice wasn’t on the tentative list, only for it to reappear later on the actual final list for the class.

It sounds like each class is having 6-8 centers to choose from, so you’ll have some options, especially if you can pass with a high grade.

It only mentions a medical exam (physical, psychological, and drug) and a background check as the preemployment requirements I need before they extend firm offer.

I’m definitely enroute. There’s a whole attachment for that haha. I talked to the girlfriend and she’s super excited for the opportunity. I’m not sure I’ll stick with it long term, but you never know. Taking a pay cut will be tough.

It only mentions a medical exam (physical, psychological, and drug) and a background check as the preemployment requirements I need before they extend firm offer.

I’m definitely enroute. There’s a whole attachment for that haha. I talked to the girlfriend and she’s super excited for the opportunity. I’m not sure I’ll stick with it long term, but you never know. Taking a pay cut will be tough.

The MMPI is probably still the psychological part. You can google that and find samples of it. Just be honest and it’s okay to answer questions that make you look bad. For example, T/F I never have told a lie. If you say true, you’re obviously lying because everyone’s lied.

Not sure if you’ll stick with en-route or ATC in general? I guess you mean a pay cut for when you first start at academy? I waitied at my facility for 9 months before I got to really start training, making AG pay. As a newlywed that didn’t own anything that kind of sucked.

With the per diem you get at OKC, you actually make more out there than you do at your facility before you get your first raise (get certified on first 2 d-sides).

I’m not sure I’ll stick with enroute long term. If I get a supervisor tower position like you considered, I may take the pay cut and go for it. I’ll keep you updated on my progress. I’m pretty excited, but it’s so far away still. I’m never going to start making money haha.

VN Store

Back