Aviation Discussion

My Dad and I went to Red Lobster today and of course we were eating Lobster and he told me a very interesting story about picking up some Lobsters in Maine when he was in the Navy and put them in ammunition cans in an A-4 with ice to bring them back, but on the way back since Lobsters had air in them they exploided in the cans because of the pressure in the jet.
In the 80’s I flew P3’s, VP-11 based at NAS Brunswick Me. On Sundays there would be multiple (20-30) Navy and AF aircraft that would fly in for lobster ($2/lb). If your squadron was the duty squadron and you were the duty officer that day it was a busy day picking up lobsters from local market.

In the 80’s I flew P3’s, VP-11 based at NAS Brunswick Me. On Sundays there would be multiple (20-30) Navy and AF aircraft that would fly in for lobster ($2/lb). If your squadron was the duty squadron and you were the duty officer that day it was a busy day picking up lobsters from local market.
I hear ya...and Thank you for your Service 🇱🇷

Well..... apparently today the senate decided not to allow the most experienced pilots in the industry to continue flying beyond 65. Now they are being replaced with pilots that have no college degree, no pilot in command experience and no turbine engine time because there is a shortage. United is hiring captains right into the left seat of the 737. 20 million flight hours of experience every year at each of the major airlines is being let go because the pilots had a birthday.

Thanks senators.

Reactions: tbh and ATC_VOL
I’ve been jumping on Plane Finder whenever I hear one flying overhead. There sure are a lot of Cirrus planes zipping around west Knoxville. I can almost identify them now by just hearing the engine. Big difference between those and the 100 hp planes flying in and out of Downtown Island and the small runway near John Sevier/Alcoa Highway.

There are 2 medical helicopters that are around all the time. Massive, powerful motors on them. They’re easy to identify just from listening as well.

Quite a few jets fly the Knoxville airspace from Europe to Mexico City or to other destinations south of here. Generally don’t even notice them up there at 35,000 feet.

Louisville, KY gets crazy overnight with the UPS flights from their hub.

These 2 are overhead all the time. Especially N719LS.

Attachments

• IMG_9940.jpeg
    IMG_9940.jpeg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9914.jpeg
    IMG_9914.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
I’ve been jumping on Plane Finder whenever I hear one flying overhead. There sure are a lot of Cirrus planes zipping around west Knoxville. I can almost identify them now by just hearing the engine. Big difference between those and the 100 hp planes flying in and out of Downtown Island and the small runway near John Sevier/Alcoa Highway.

There are 2 medical helicopters that are around all the time. Massive, powerful motors on them. They’re easy to identify just from listening as well.

Quite a few jets fly the Knoxville airspace from Europe to Mexico City or to other destinations south of here. Generally don’t even notice them up there at 35,000 feet.

I've started playing with the AR feature Flightradar24 has. Its not flawless, but its pretty interesting- especially at night when there's a lot of far off planes visible.

I still prefer the standard map though.

Reactions: ATC_VOL

I think Cirrus has either a maintenance or training facility in Knoxville.

Well..... apparently today the senate decided not to allow the most experienced pilots in the industry to continue flying beyond 65. Now they are being replaced with pilots that have no college degree, no pilot in command experience and no turbine engine time because there is a shortage. United is hiring captains right into the left seat of the 737. 20 million flight hours of experience every year at each of the major airlines is being let go because the pilots had a birthday.

Thanks senators.
The folks United is hiring and putting straight in the left seat, are they coming from regionals at least or just completely new to commercial aviation?

I've started playing with the AR feature Flightradar24 has. Its not flawless, but its pretty interesting- especially at night when there's a lot of far off planes visible.

I still prefer the standard map though.

It’s interesting to try to try predicting if airliners a couple of states away heading to TYS will buzz the neighborhood ridge or not. Origination and whether they’re using runways 23R/L or 5R/L are the main variables. Also how close they need to get to the airport before starting to turn.

I want to get a drone, but there’s a lot to learn. I guess I should start with one on the toys for a couple hundred dollars to speed up the learning curve..The FAA doesn’t care about the tiny ones.

I think Cirrus has either a maintenance or training facility in Knoxville.

They certainly do. They fly in from all directions to get there and Cirrus corporate owns a lot of the planes that are out and about. I think that buyers take delivery of the planes at McGhee Tyson.

Their facility is at the side of the airport terminal farther away from Knoxville. Military and FedEx/UPS taxi over to the opposite side of the airport property.

IMG_9965.jpeg

Last edited:
Planes approaching McGhee Tyson from NE of the airport (just south of downtown Knoxville) use this beacon in south Knoxville to line up with the runways. It’s about 5 miles out - between John Sevier, Alcoa Highway, and Chapman Highway. I’ve looked for one SW of the Knoxville airport in Blount County but haven’t located it.

IMG_9964.jpeg

Thanks senators.

Who would have even been pushing that?

I use two apps Flightrader24 and Flightaware.

The folks United is hiring and putting straight in the left seat, are they coming from regionals at least or just completely new to commercial aviation?
They have at least the minimum to get an ATP which is 1500 hours. Some might come from the regionals some from what's left of the military. Who knows really. The point is that they aren't even required to have ever been a captain anywhere before. And jet engine time is 'preferred' but not a requirement. The standard has been lowered so much that now it is a trip hazard. You are losing experience that has been doing this for decades.

Just click on the plane from the map on flightaware or flightrader.

I light flightrader to look up Air Force planes using ICAO

I’ve probably tried that, but I like having both apps up. I leave Plane Finder on the map and then FlightAware to look up the plane’s registration. That way I don’t have to hunt around for Knoxville - I just leave PF on the Knoxville area. Lots of flights over Knoxville are also from out west heading to Charlotte.

I don’t know what ICAO is. When I spot military aircraft on Plane Finder I don’t get much info from FlightAware. I figured they’re hiding details from bad guys.

I also have an app for shipping - MarineTraffic. But I’ve only spent a few minutes with it. Found a few barges on Fort Loudon but nothing else very interesting to me.

An app for train traffic would be interesting. I’m about equal distance between the Norfolk-Southern and CSX lines and hear them both at crossings.

They have at least the minimum to get an ATP which is 1500 hours. Some might come from the regionals some from what's left of the military. Who knows really. The point is that they aren't even required to have ever been a captain anywhere before. And jet engine time is 'preferred' but not a requirement. The standard has been lowered so much that now it is a trip hazard. You are losing experience that has been doing this for decades.
Thanks for the response. Very interesting stuff. There seems to be a bit of a drop in experience on both sides of the mic.

Have you noticed lost jobs due to CPDLC?
No I haven’t. I doubt our staffing is ever fixed during my career, so tools to help are welcome. It will allow us to do more with less. Just not having to give frequency changes would really open up more time to say and think about other things.

My facility still doesn’t have it though. We were a week from having it turned on full time and then the 2019 govt shutdown led everyone’s training to expire. We’re supposed to go through it again this fall.

There are lots of other behind the scenes improvements in automation that have led to less voice to voice coordination between controllers. That has led to less staffing needed since a radar controller doesn’t need a d-side (someone to sit beside them and answer the phone for them) as much as was needed 10 years ago.

@Tri-CitiesVol could talk more about CPDLC

No I haven’t. I doubt our staffing is ever fixed during my career, so tools to help are welcome. It will allow us to do more with less. Just not having to give frequency changes would really open up more time to say and think about other things.

My facility still doesn’t have it though. We were a week from having it turned on full time and then the 2019 govt shutdown led everyone’s training to expire. We’re supposed to go through it again this fall.

There are lots of other behind the scenes improvements in automation that have led to less voice to voice coordination between controllers. That has led to less staffing needed since a radar controller doesn’t need a d-side (someone to sit beside them and answer the phone for them) as much as was needed 10 years ago.

@Tri-CitiesVol could talk more about CPDLC

CPDLC in its current form is more of a tool to improve efficiency. Technique only, but I use it for frequency changes if I’m busy and to issue preferential routing. I can verbally switch one while doing the key command or clicking the release TOC on the CPDLC session on another. I’m a fairly new controller, but it really seems like pilot’s are paying less attention on frequency. Trying to hit a guy up multiple times to switch them when you’re busy is frustrating. Data Comm has its quirks, though. Sometimes the route/altitude/comm change will time out and when you query the pilot they at least claim it was never received. Also, if we don’t hit FRC when issuing the route it can lead to anomalies where you get sent direct the next fix, but the rest of the star or waypoints aren’t loaded in.

So many of the guys I fly with in the Guard are getting their Restricted (750?) and heading to regionals/ULCC/cargo. These guys have 300-400 hours in a helicopter, the rest in a Cessna and the next thing they fly is a 737 or A320. Unbelievable and can’t be particularly safe. Safety is being compromised on both sides through of mix of lack of experience and fatigue. 6 day work weeks and 10 hour days will grind you down in the summer months.

We would fly in from NASJRB Willow Grove (right outside of Philly) for lobster back in the late 90's lol. We would be up there two or three times a month when the Skipper needed some "extra flight time for the month" :)

VN Store

Back