Aviation Discussion

My Dad and I went to Red Lobster today and of course we were eating Lobster and he told me a very interesting story about picking up some Lobsters in Maine when he was in the Navy and put them in ammunition cans in an A-4 with ice to bring them back, but on the way back since Lobsters had air in them they exploided in the cans because of the pressure in the jet.

My Dad and I went to Red Lobster today and of course we were eating Lobster and he told me a very interesting story about picking up some Lobsters in Maine when he was in the Navy and put them in ammunition cans in an A-4 with ice to bring them back, but on the way back since Lobsters had air in them they exploided in the cans because of the pressure in the jet.
That’s pretty wild. I remember by dad bringing live lobsters back from TDY to Maine when I was a kid.

Reactions: Vjcvette
We had a guy squawk 7500 instead of 7600 yesterday when he experienced a stuck mic. Could hear he and his co-pilot discussing which code was the correct one. Well, they guessed wrong.

Fly. We are working to arrange an event in TN next season....would be great to have some VNers come out to fly with us.

Wanted to bump this post to say that our group (FOAA - website is www.friendsofarmyaviation.org ) can't make it to TN this season, but we will be at the inaugural North Alabama Airfest airshow at Pryor Field, Decatur, AL, June 10-11 with our 1971 UH-1H Huey giving rides to the public. If you have the opportunity, come on down and take a ride with us! I'll be piloting along with 3 of my friends. Would be great to meet some fellow VNers! Ask for Erich :)

Any questions, let me know!

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
I've decided I will finally go through with getting my private pilots license, I've thought about it for years. I am sure there is a bunch of info somewhere in the thread, but I haven't found it. Any recommendations on which school to go with? I am in Clarksville and have a few here, wondering if it would be worth it to go Nashville.

I've decided I will finally go through with getting my private pilots license, I've thought about it for years. I am sure there is a bunch of info somewhere in the thread, but I haven't found it. Any recommendations on which school to go with? I am in Clarksville and have a few here, wondering if it would be worth it to go Nashville.

I can’t help with the school recommendation, but I am getting started myself. I did a discovery flight last month and a couple weeks ago purchased the Sporty’s ground school course. I’ll probably wait for the “ready to test” certificate before I book any flight hours.

Good luck!

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I know Smyrna has a fairly popular school.

Reactions: Tri-CitiesVol
RA-5C Vigilante......1320 MPH What my Dad flew in the Navy
1694060664305.png
and this is the plane that he flew for 2 years when he was Commander of VC-1 fighter squadron in Hawaii it is a TA-4J Skyhawk
Dads Jet.jpg

Reactions: MWR
I can’t help with the school recommendation, but I am getting started myself. I did a discovery flight last month and a couple weeks ago purchased the Sporty’s ground school course. I’ll probably wait for the “ready to test” certificate before I book any flight hours.

Good luck!
Good luck to you too

I know a lot of the Campbell guys go down to the school in Smyrna.

Washington Center may be the most useless group of controllers in the nation. We have weather inundating our airspace. They are still asking for 20-30 MIT to everything east coast. And they are making us go 230 or below on DC mets. Our typical altitude restriction is FL370 for DC. They are a bunch of losers. It’s been insane in there tonight.

0525211601-00.jpg0525211600-00.jpg0211181243-01.jpgimages.jpeg

Ross Perot's family was in Hawaii in 1975 and his son when he was 16 went flying with my Dad and later he was the first person to fly a Helicopter around the world.

Last edited:
Getting out of the union tomorrow. May not be the best decision since I want to transfer, but tired of throwing my money away when they aren’t doing anything for us. Still can’t get over the extension of the contract under the Biden administration all while airlines are getting 50% bumps.

VN Store

Back