Automobilia etc....

Every review, the Camaro out performs the Mustang. But it's ugly and sells like s***.

I love my Silverado and the wife's Traverse.

The Camaro interior is inferior to the Mustang. Looks wise, the Mustang is 1000% better looking that the Camaro. Performance matters, but it's not the end all be all.

What's your opinion on the AFM/lifter issue in the 5.3s/6.2s? Is it overblown or a serious thing?

I shopped the Silverados heavy last year and decided to wait for various reasons, but I still see it pop up a fair amount when read around.

What's your opinion on the AFM/lifter issue in the 5.3s/6.2s? Is it overblown or a serious thing?

I shopped the Silverados heavy last year and decided to wait for various reasons, but I still see it pop up a fair amount when read around.
Haven't seen many 6.2s come in with it. We have had more than a few 5.3s* that have had the issue (including a coworker who only had 6000 miles on his '21 Silverado).

*more the Tahoe than Silverado though

Last edited:
Haven't seen many 6.2s come in with it. We have had more than a few 5.3s* that have had the issue (including a coworker who only had 6000 miles on his '21 Silverado).

*more the Tahoe than Silverado though

Interesting. I did notice AFM delete was an option when I was still shopping them. I'd probably just go with that.

A big pimpin' ride fo sho

1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

1976_cadillac_eldorado_DSC_0457-1.jpg

1976_cadillac_eldorado_DSC_0401-scaled.jpg

1976_cadillac_eldorado_DSC_0335-scaled.jpg

Lots of those got preserved for all the wrong reasons. I never thought they looked good, but they're not "bad". Plus it was back when a man could drive a car. I was just posting in another forum that GM became pretty focused in the late 50's with trying to build a car with a flat floor and a perimeter "step down" frame. This is the result. That is the only reason, in 1966, GM made a 5000 pound front wheel drive car. Nowadays, every car made has the centerline firmly obstructed, so we are convinced today that everybody hated this. I'm not even sure who was right.

Reactions: volinbham
Anyone have suggestions on a cheap manual car to learn how to drive manual on? I assume some clutches and shifts are easier to work with than others.

I first tried to learn at age 14, but never could get a good grasp on starts, always killed it. My dad picked up a $200 car that barely ran for me and my older brother to learn on, still remember having to go up and down the driveway and through the field. This was back in 1997 so no finding a car like that now.

Anyone have suggestions on a cheap manual car to learn how to drive manual on? I assume some clutches and shifts are easier to work with than others.

I first tried to learn at age 14, but never could get a good grasp on starts, always killed it. My dad picked up a $200 car that barely ran for me and my older brother to learn on, still remember having to go up and down the driveway and through the field. This was back in 1997 so no finding a car like that now.
Hyundai Accent SE

Look for a old WRX. Almost all of them are manual. As far as having an easy clutch Honda has been the easiest in my experience. I learned in and old S10, that thing sucked to drive.

Reactions: tntar heel
I go to CL and click the manual checkbox several times a week. It’s a pretty horrifying mess that results, I’ll just say. A cheap low drama runner will take some diligence to find.

Another one would be a Nissan Versa (which is about the only way I'd buy a Versa)

VW Beetle or a mid 90s S10/Sonoma. I had a 94 Sonoma with a 5-speed and loved the feel of it. The rest of the truck was a turd, though.

So I went to CL (Kingsport/Bristol/Johnson City) and sorted on price. Assuming here that you would not pay much for the pleasure of learning to drive.

Some of these ads are old, could be gone, but for instance, the cheapest runners today are:
2000 CRV with 191k miles on it and it's AWD! For $1650.
2004 Camry Solara (really nice car) $2000
95 GMC Sonoma 2wd $3750. "Dependable".

Just some real life examples. Everything else is either not a realistic driver or costs more.

VW golf or jetta. I have a new Golf and it's the easiest manual I've ever driven.

I have 2008 Mazdaspeed3 with a 6 spd manual I'll sell you for $8k. It might be a little more than you want to spend

Drove the Mustang Mach e Friday (California edition). Liked it for a good around town car with plenty of storage, handling, touch screen, visibility and acceleration were good, just really liked the car. So I took my wife back yesterday to drive it and I road in the passenger seat.

Guess what sticker is $63,000 and NO electric seat for the passenger side. So I checked it out and it simply isn't available on the Mach e. Now for
$60k I'd think it would at least be an option!! Ford blew this one.

VN Store

Back