Athletic Director Hart and Butch

Did I ever say whether I thought Debord would be successful or fail? I don't think so. I have said he is basically (in my opinion) a nonfactor. I am just trying to understand the rationale behind the hire.

Butch Jones promised the best staff in America and I just want someone to tell me (facts please not just Trust Butch he knows what he's doing) how Debord fits into that.

How do you "prove" something when it hasn't happened yet?

Butch???? What in the world are yout alking about?

Debord was hired. That has happened. How does he fit into the best staff in America?

Butch???? What in the world are yout alking about?

Debord was hired. That has happened. How does he fit into the best staff in America?

You want us to prove to you that he's not a failure as our OC when he hasn't even coached a game for us yet. How do we proceed? Better? :hi:

Preface: I am not trying to be difficult or antagonistic.

Butch, No, if you read my post, I am simply asking for someone to explain how hiring Debord as OC fits into the Best Staff in America promise.

For example: How is he going to be better than CJB? Is he known as a great recruiter? Has he been successful in the past against power defenses like he will face in the SEC?

I'm not even sure when I bailed on CDD. It might have been after KY in year two... but more likely a little later after it came out that the team (and especially Bray) didn't care about winning, avoiding the losing record, or getting to a bowl game in 2011. I think that a lot his BS wasn't common knowledge until after he was gone. In hindsight he was absolutely horrid. None worse... not even Kiffin. CDD even made Wade Houston look better.

The misery game when he had Bray take a knee:banghead2:

Preface: I am not trying to be difficult or antagonistic. , No, if you read my post, I am simply asking for someone to explain how hiring Debord as OC fits into the Best Staff in America promise.
For example: How is he going to be better than CJB? Is he known as a great recruiter? Has he been successful in the past against power defenses like he will face in the SEC?
OK, let's do this 1, 2, 3....
1. This is a hire by our football coach (trust him, I believe) who is part of the family and will not rock the boat as some hot shot coordinator with his own assistants would.
2. As Butch says, he is not changing his offense, he has taken two years building it. Debord was agreeable to that. By the way, ESPN is raving about next year's offense.
3. The guy was offensive coordinator at Michigan for 6 years. That speaks volumes.
4. He spent 6 years in the NFL coaching offensive line and tight ends. That also speaks volumes.
5. At 58, he will be a VFL and not go skirting off to some other position as Bajakian did. In other words, he is here to help take us to an SEC and a national championship.
6. Tennessee football will be fine. I really have a hard time believing some folks would doubt this head coach and his decisions. Of course, what else can you expect from arm chair quarterbacks?

Reactions: 1 person
Preface: I am not trying to be difficult or antagonistic.

Butch, No, if you read my post, I am simply asking for someone to explain how hiring Debord as OC fits into the Best Staff in America promise.

Who's CJB?

Butch was a not a big name when he came to UT. He had success as a head coach but he was not on many radars. Our AD picked him...does Dave Hart get some credit for seeing Butch's talent when others did not? I think it's still a bit too early to tell, but all indications so far is that Butch is getting it done in the recruiting world. We shall see if he can develop the kids and then see what type of Xs and Os coach...
Hart has had a lot of success wherever he has been the AD. So far his pick on our head football coach is pretty darn good.
Don't stop with Butch, Coach T (Donnie Tyndall) is the Butch Jones of basketball and will produce similar results in that program. What is really amazing is that both grew up 40 miles apart in Michigan. All I can say is the Wolverine State can produce some damn good coaches! Dave Hart must have had some connections there or something. :good!:

Your statement looks pretty factual to me my friend. And no, I don't need to check your stats either, LOL! #BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!
When in doubt check Butchna's like %. 80%, pretty damn good. It's a good indication of factual statements liked by others. See, he is competing with a 46%er (Tall Guy). No contest! PS Watch out for the smoking gun! :)

I would welcome any response of facts as opposed to name calling, misdirection, or irrational worship of a coach.

Seriously, please provide facts to the discussion.

For example--There are several posts questioning the DeBord hire. I like CBJ, he really seems like a great guy, but I think this OC hire is strange. I don't get it, and apparently several others are scratching their heads as well.

Instead of providing "facts" as to why this was the right hire for Tennessee, all I really see is "Butch is the coach and not you" posts. I also see namecalling, and telling people to go away if they don't agree with you.

Facts are always welcome, but so far, I am not seeing facts.

Out of all the Debord threads there have been plenty that gave reasons as to why he is a good fit for Jones staff that did not include "just trust him". Generally these reasons were regurgitated in pretty much every thread. You either missed them or choose to ignore them.

1. This is a hire by our football coach (trust him, I believe) who is part of the family and will not rock the boat as some hot shot coordinator with his own assistants would.
2. As Butch says, he is not changing his offense, he has taken two years building it. Debord was agreeable to that. By the way, ESPN is raving about next year's offense.
3. The guy was offensive coordinator at Michigan for 6 years. That speaks volumes.
4. He spent 6 years in the NFL coaching offensive line and tight ends. That also speaks volumes.
5. At 58, he will be a VFL and not go skirting off to some other position as Bajakian did. In other words, he is here to help take us to an SEC and a national championship.
6. Tennessee football will be fine. I really have a hard time believing some folks would doubt this head coach and his decisions. Of course, what else can you expect from arm chair quarterbacks?

Thank you. Finally an intelligent response to my question. I only had to ask it 10 times. Unfortunately the trust tank is running on fumes around here (with regards to coaches) after Kiffin and the Doolenator.
If I understand correctly, your opinion is that Butch hired Debord to run the offense we are currently running, and believes that coaching in the Big10 will prepare him for the SEC defenses. His NFL experience should help too. Also, he is not a flight risk.

OK. I'll buy that. Nothing to do now but wait to see how it goes. Thank you again for being intelligent.

When in doubt check Butchna's like %. 80%, pretty damn good. It's a good indication of factual statements liked by others. See, he is competing with a 46%er (Tall Guy). No contest! PS Watch out for the smoking gun! :)

By the way, Likes are relatively new addition to Volnation, and I don't post nearly as much as ButchNA does.:good!:

Thank you. Finally an intelligent response to my question. I only had to ask it 10 times. Unfortunately the trust tank is running on fumes around here (with regards to coaches) after Kiffin and the Doolenator.
If I understand correctly, your opinion is that Butch hired Debord to run the offense we are currently running, and believes that coaching in the Big10 will prepare him for the SEC defenses. His NFL experience should help too. Also, he is not a flight risk. OK. I'll buy that. Nothing to do now but wait to see how it goes. Thank you again for being intelligent.
You are welcome. Here is another little tidbit I just found. Mike Debord gave Mike Bajakian his first full-time Football Bowl Subdivision coaching job, putting Bajakian in charge of Central Michigan’s quarterbacks when he was just 27 years old. He was just seven years removed from his last college football game, and his only FBS work had come as a graduate assistant at Rutgers and Michigan.

I think Dave Hart will deserve to get the credit when Butch starts winning more games that he isn't supposed to. He and his staff are ace recruiters but what he does with that talent is yet to be seen. I think the fact that Dobbs didn't get the start this past year was a big mistake. I think the offense underperformed big time. The defense was great, and I think we will have a bright future but crediting Dave with anything much would be a tad premature IMO.

Preface: I am not trying to be difficult or antagonistic. Butch, No, if you read my post, I am simply asking for someone to explain how hiring Debord as OC fits into the Best Staff in America promise. For example: How is he going to be better than CJB? Is he known as a great recruiter? Has he been successful in the past against power defenses like he will face in the SEC?
Quote=SeniorDrill
Quote=The Tall Guy
If I understand correctly, your opinion is that Butch hired Debord to run the offense we are currently running, and believes that coaching in the Big10 will prepare him for the SEC defenses. His NFL experience should help too. Also, he is not a flight risk.
OK. I'll buy that. Nothing to do now but wait to see how it goes. Thank you again for being intelligent.
:) They call me crazy for some of my insights in the basketball forum. Step on too many toes!

You are welcome. Here is another little tidbit I just found. Mike Debord gave Mike Bajakian his first full-time Football Bowl Subdivision coaching job, putting Bajakian in charge of Central Michigan’s quarterbacks when he was just 27 years old. He was just seven years removed from his last college football game, and his only FBS work had come as a graduate assistant at Rutgers and Michigan.
At least we know he can recruit football coaches. He gave Butch and Mike their first FBS football jobs. Must have an eye for talent?

His paycheck isnt enough? Also, Purdue and Colorado offered Butch their job and UK was close, so he didnt exactly discover him.

Hart should be getting a hell of a lot more credit than he is. A lot of people seem to just have an innate hatred for the man for no reason.

He lost a lot support for keeping Dooley a third year. That was a very costly mistake.

Yes, they did. Do a search and you will find people using the EXACT same arguments/excuses when Dooley was coach. These crazy coach worshippers acted like people poured sugar in their grandmothers gas tank if they dared say a word against Dooley

How can they be the exact same? Dooley never had back to back top 5 signing classes! As a matter of fact neither did Fulmer or majors. Enjoy the ride it's either going one of two ways, let's hope for the better.

This n how many championship has hart help us win?? Zero.. So he gets an f for effort on who he has hired to obtain championships.

Hart lost all credibility when he was he$$ bent on bringing fools back until fools n sal just fell apart.

Wow. I'm not fully on board with Butch yet and get lumped into this category. I thought this category was just a white unicorn. Never knew someone was dumb enough to believe Jones should already be winning championships two years into the biggest rebuilding project since Johnny came around.

VN Store

Back