Athletic Director Hart and Butch

Didn't say whether or not the hire would work out. Don't care about Debord, my money is on that he is just an honorary coach anyway.

My point was some people value coaches more than the team...they did with Majors, Fulmer, Kiffin, Dooley, and now Butch. Dooley is just the most recent example.

Do a search... It is there.
You've posted a lot about BeBord not to care. Lol.

Some people choose to support the coach until they deem he's proven unworthy in their mind.

If people support coaches over the program then those you're referring to are likely now posting on Alabama and Dallas message boards since they would have no reason to post here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Support is fine, but I'm talking about the worshipers. I support CBJ, but I admit that he is capable of making and has made mistakes. The people who won't admit that are the ones I am talking about.

Support is fine, but I'm talking about the worshipers. I support CBJ, but I admit that he is capable of making and has made mistakes. The people who won't admit that are the ones I am talking about.

I'm not sure anyone knows who you're talking about. Can you link a couple posts that say "Butch is incapable of making mistakes?" Maybe that will clear it up for those who are slow like me.

Most people on here seem to think it's an underwhelming hire but are taking a wait and see approach. I don't see why that's a problem.

Reactions: 5 people
Butch was a not a big name when he came to UT. He had success as a head coach but he was not on many radars. Our AD picked him...does Dave Hart get some credit for seeing Butch's talent when others did not?

Lots of folks saw Butch Jones' talent. Kentucky, Purdue, Colorado all tried to hire him before we did.

And while they were offering him their jobs, Hart was out interviewing guys who were just looking for a raise at their current position.

Hart was clueless. It was only after he struck out on his first several candidates that he grabbed for what was left and that happened to be Butch.

It was no master plan. Hart was lucky Butch turned down all those other jobs while he was wasting time.

Still don't know if Butch will work out here or not. But I feel like if he does, it was just dumb luck on Hart's part to get him.

You would prefer an AD conduct a coaching search by identifying the best candidates and then interviewing them and really honing in on the best coach/fit. Not going out interviewing guys who aren't coming and then grabbing the first guy they can get to say yes.

Reactions: 3 people
From all indications Butch was on down at the bottom of Bama Dave's list. After the fact, we can all agree Hart done an excellent job with the hiring of Coach Jones. One has to question if Hart simply got lucky with this hiring, or does he need credit for having CBJ on the list from the start? I tend to believe it's a little of both. Dave Hart needs to be given credit for doing his homework, and having Butch Jones on his list of potential hires to begin with. We also have to admit he's pretty lucky it's all turned out the way it has thus far. So far Coach Jones has been all and more that we as a fan base can ask for considering the circumstances he walked into. Also, if Hart hadn't of been turned down, and hired any of the multiple guys that was higher on his radar, we may of not gotten the same results. We could have a coach on the hot seat right now. Coach Jones still has a lot to accomplish to keep the fans happy, but he's done an awesome job during his first two seasons, and we can all see he's getting us there.

SOON!!!!!!!!!

You should probably search the archives. You've missed alot. Start with that Titan&Volfan4life guy. Then work your way to KoachKletus and the others. Amazing reads.

I'm not even sure when I bailed on CDD. It might have been after KY in year two... but more likely a little later after it came out that the team (and especially Bray) didn't care about winning, avoiding the losing record, or getting to a bowl game in 2011. I think that a lot his BS wasn't common knowledge until after he was gone. In hindsight he was absolutely horrid. None worse... not even Kiffin. CDD even made Wade Houston look better.

You should probably search the archives. You've missed alot. Start with that Titan&Volfan4life guy. Then work your way to KoachKletus and the others. Amazing reads.

lol. calling out guys because you was called out in another thread

#priceless

Reactions: 4 people
From all indications Butch was on down at the bottom of Bama Dave's list. After the fact, we can all agree Hart done an excellent job with the hiring of Coach Jones. One has to question if Hart simply got lucky with this hiring, or does he need credit for having CBJ on the list from the start? I tend to believe it's a little of both. Dave Hart needs to be given credit for doing his homework, and having Butch Jones on his list of potential hires to begin with. We also have to admit he's pretty lucky it's all turned out the way it has thus far. So far Coach Jones has been all and more that we as a fan base can ask for considering the circumstances he walked into. Also, if Hart hadn't of been turned down, and hired any of the multiple guys that was higher on his radar, we may of not gotten the same results. We could have a coach on the hot seat right now. Coach Jones still has a lot to accomplish to keep the fans happy, but he's done an awesome job during his first two seasons, and we can all see he's getting us there.

SOON!!!!!!!!!
^^^^THIS! I was thinking just today it is cool to have great recruiting with out the drama of secondary violations (Kiffin) and coach butch jones coaching ability. We are on our way back to the top!

^^^^THIS! I was thinking just today it is cool to have great recruiting with out the drama of secondary violations (Kiffin) and coach butch jones coaching ability. We are on our way back to the top!

want to believe this so much, this year is when we will see if these kids can do what we all think they can do.:rock:

Lots of folks saw Butch Jones' talent. Kentucky, Purdue, Colorado all tried to hire him before we did.

And while they were offering him their jobs, Hart was out interviewing guys who were just looking for a raise at their current position.

Hart was clueless. It was only after he struck out on his first several candidates that he grabbed for what was left and that happened to be Butch.

It was no master plan. Hart was lucky Butch turned down all those other jobs while he was wasting time.

Still don't know if Butch will work out here or not. But I feel like if he does, it was just dumb luck on Hart's part to get him.

You would prefer an AD conduct a coaching search by identifying the best candidates and then interviewing them and really honing in on the best coach/fit. Not going out interviewing guys who aren't coming and then grabbing the first guy they can get to say yes.

If Hart had not interviewed the high profile coaches, Hart would have been crucified on here and other sports outlets such as radio. Maybe he wanted CBJ all along. We will never know for sure, but CBJ turned down an offer from Colorado IIRC just the week before accepting our job.

Maybe he put out feelers to Hart early. Let Hart know this was his "Dream Job". Then Hart had to do the Strong thing and others pretty much knowing the outcome and hoping to get CBJ. BECAUSE WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT, CBJ TURNED DOWN A LOT OF JOBS WITH BIG PAY RAISES. He was not getting a bump from Cincy after every visit, but he seemed to be waiting on the right job to be offered. Then he got the UT job offer and jumped on it like a duck on a June bug.

Reactions: 3 people
Why do people hate Hart so much? Just curious and want to know the arguments to why he is not a capable AD in others opinions

I thought Hart said in the Dooley firing press conference that he would not be using a firm. I'm just going from memory and could be mistaken.

Hart was flying all over the place talking to people so a search firm may have helped, but he did most of the grunt work. Most ADs get shot down by their first pics because they are the home run, big time names that probably aren't going anywhere but you ask anyway. Between Serrano, Jones and Tyndall, Hart seems to have a knack for hiring coaches. Martin wasn't a Hart hire either I'm fairly certain.

The hate for him is unwarranted. It mostly stems from Cheek putting academics first. Like UT is an educational institution or something. Hart has been accepting of this and it angers fans.

Reactions: 1 person
I guess that's up to your interpretation of 'nationally relevant'. He has got us consecutive Top 5 recruiting classes. That's what some would consider relevant.

ESPN is actually talking about UT. That in itself would be considered relevant by some. The fact that UT is being presented as a break out team in 2015 by many in sports media could also be considered relevant.

What does CBJ have to do, short of winning a NC, to sway some of you guys?

Let's start with a winning regular season. I know u like to hang ur hat on those 5th ranked recruiting classes, but hey, how about we beat a crappy FL team.

Thanks for calling me out my friend.

As others on here have already posted, I'm sure this was childish payback for my calling you out for your consistent negative posts about CDD and buTch and his staff.

Some here believe you post mostly negative things just to get your count of Likes up and that works well for you and others too, LOL!

I don't live with a negative minded and immature attitude like you and others choose to live with either.

I try to be mature, logical and have a positive minded attitude in everything in my life and you should attempt that, your life just might improve and be happier my friend.

All my life I've read, attended seminars and listened to experts on many things attempting to gain better knowledge of things I like or love including football but UNlike many here I profess not to know everything.

Unlike most I do understand CDD trying to switch to the 3-4 D and hiring Sunseri as D coordinator since he couldn't get a proven D coordinator that really knew the 3-4.

At the time Sunseri was hired most of VN raved as him being a great hire...I tried to get everyone to use caution and explained many times that even in the NFL it normally took 2 years or longer to get a 3-4 D to be executed well and that proved true with our Vols too, unfortunately.

I love Tennessee and bleed Tennessee Orange and I WILL always totally support all coaches and players 100% until they've had enough time to recruit 4 years of THEIR OWN players and prove they deserve more support or deserve to be replaced.

Year 1 buTch did his best to add to what CDD had done.

Year 2 recruiting buTch had a top 5 class ad that was HIS 1st total recruiting class.

This year...another top 5 recruiting class.

Amazing recruiting considering our program has been horrid for most of a decade now and I was NOT sure that he could recruit at that level at all.

Last season we played 23 true freshmen and several started at one time or another...Amazing coaching to be able to coach up 23 true freshmen like that.

There's much more I could say here but you and your negative minded friends will just try to tear down anything positive so I'll stop wasting my time with you my friend.

Negative can be found in almost everything if you look hard enough but try looking for positive things a little more and you just might have a happier life my friend.

I wish you all the best if you even attempt doing that.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

Reactions: 6 people
As any fan would, most have supported every coach we've had. I think folks got tired of Dooley when it looked like we had "topped off" and there wasn't any significant improvement. That's why now under Jones, everyone can see the improvement and it's alot more exciting than it has been in several years. Some don't want to agree with that, because they firmly believe we should go from 5-7 to winning the SEC and contending for a National Championship.

Thanks for calling me out my friend.

As others on here have already posted, I'm sure this was childish payback for my calling you out for your consistent negative posts about CDD and buTch and his staff.

Some here believe you post mostly negative things just to get your count of Likes up and that works well for you and others too, LOL!

I don't live with a negative minded and immature attitude like you and others choose to live with either.

I try to be mature, logical and have a positive minded attitude in everything in my life and you should attempt that, your life just might improve and be happier my friend.

All my life I've read, attended seminars and listened to experts on many things attempting to gain better knowledge of things I like or love including football but UNlike many here I profess not to know everything.

Unlike most I do understand CDD trying to switch to the 3-4 D and hiring Sunseri as D coordinator since he couldn't get a proven D coordinator that really knew the 3-4.

At the time Sunseri was hired most of VN raved as him being a great hire...I tried to get everyone to use caution and explained many times that even in the NFL it normally took 2 years or longer to get a 3-4 D to be executed well and that proved true with our Vols too, unfortunately.

I love Tennessee and bleed Tennessee Orange and I WILL always totally support all coaches and players 100% until they've had enough time to recruit 4 years of THEIR OWN players and prove they deserve more support or deserve to be replaced.

Year 1 buTch did his best to add to what CDD had done.

Year 2 recruiting buTch had a top 5 class ad that was HIS 1st total recruiting class.

This year...another top 5 recruiting class.

Amazing recruiting considering our program has been horrid for most of a decade now and I was NOT sure that he could recruit at that level at all.

Last season we played 23 true freshmen and several started at one time or another...Amazing coaching to be able to coach up 23 true freshmen like that.

There's much more I could say here but you and your negative minded friends will just try to tear down anything positive so I'll stop wasting my time with you my friend.

Negative can be found in almost everything if you look hard enough but try looking for positive things a little more and you just might have a happier life my friend.

I wish you all the best if you even attempt doing that.

#RiseToTheTop...VFL...GBO!!!

funny-college-gameday-signs-1AA.jpg

I'm happy Butch is here, but the program is what I love. Support is one thing, but defending coaches to the death no matter what is irrational.

Slamming coaches at every opportunity and acting as if one knows more about their football team does not support the football program or the University. If you and others feel good when you post your shallow uninformed opinions, don't expect those who are invested in the Program to not respond with facts and at least mention the positive accomplishments rather than speculating on the possible negative results of every decision.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back