Athens or Rome?

We've been to Rome 3 times, Athens 2. We greatly prefer Rome. Just more to see and do. I don't want to seem negative about Athens though. You should see both, but IF you can only visit one-----
Include the Vatican, and hire a guide. The Sistine Chaple, Michaelangelo!!!, Colisseum, pantheon, Trevi Fountain, etc.
Florence is a day trip. 1 word, David!!!!! They don't make humans like Michaelangelo any more.
The Amalfi coast is worth at least two days. Pompei is unbelievable. Positano, and other towns are beautiful. The food might be the best in the world. Certainly, the pizza is.

And if you can get there Venice is a "must see". Several days in the area. Lake Como.

Greece is nice to, but you might want to consider a cruise that will visit several of the islands and possibly Ephesus. Even Istanbul.
Rhodes, Olympia, Delfi. You might get ruins overload?

The Mediterranean, a warning, They give masters and doctorates in pick pocketing. Especially in Rome.
But, much less violent than the US.

Don't go in June, July, August. Too hot and too crowded.

Enjoy your trip.

Excellent Posts.....More importantly the Pick Pockets are good.....Listen for a whistle you know you or someone is targeted...usually work in groups of 2-3....

if you can get to Como ---- 2 days at least if you build a train trip into Switzerland....this is worth it....You will see Castles as it seems over 200 feet in the air and the water on the Alps are amazing......

Reactions: VOLNPA
Are checking matrix ita and Google flights?
We've never had layovers anything like that.
I second this. Our trip to Rome was non-stop. We went to Peru one time and found it cheaper and quicker to fly into DC and then travel out of there to Peru. Seemed odd to fly north to fly south, but sometimes getting creative gets you better flights.

I flew into Frankfurt and then to Rome. Highlight being that I took a prop engine puddle jumper over the Alps. The views were indescribable. Being that much lower was perfect. I didn’t pay for my flight though. It was work related. I just had lots of free time.

Reactions: Sudden Impact
To me it's always hard to get in and out of Rome with costs.....I usually fly into one destination and out of another city...working my from landing point to outbound point....7 trips to Italy and landed at one airport and out of another.
Training through. Last year flew into Lisbon, then to Barcelona to Rome Flights and travel via train south then north working way to Venice taking in Genova, Florence + Switzerland Como surrounding cities along the way. Outbound Venice to US.

Italy! Move around the country. I spent time in Milan. Best Spaghetti Bolognese I have ever had. So good I ate it 4 meals in a row. Duomo Plaza and many surrounding sites to tour.

I would say Rome just because it’s very easy to hop a train and go lots of places. You could easily spend a day in the Vatican museum. What surprised me about Athens is how they’ve let the Olympics facilities completely go to ****. Looks like something out of Walking Dead.

VN Store

Back