Athens or Rome?

VOLNPA

Big 10 SUX!
Wife and I are flying oversees in March. We have "settled" on Athens, Greece or Rome, Italy. Anyone been to either? Any feedback or opinions?

Wife and I are flying oversees in March. We have "settled" on Athens, Greece or Rome, Italy. Anyone been to either? Any feedback or opinions?
I’ve been to Athens and Rome. I thought they were in Tennessee and Georgia though?

Reactions: golfballs
Rome is great but it’s not my favorite city in Italy. I prefer Florence

Any certain reasons you narrowed it down to those two? What are things that interest you?

Reactions: Sudden Impact
Rome is great but it’s not my favorite city in Italy. I prefer Florence

Any certain reasons you narrowed it down to those two? What are things that interest you?

My wife really likes ancient ruin type stuff. We did Iceland this year since I like cold and nature. She wants to see the Colosseum, Parthenon, etc...thus Athens and Rome.

My wife really likes ancient ruin type stuff. We did Iceland this year since I like cold and nature. She wants to see the Colosseum, Parthenon, etc...thus Athens and Rome.
I haven’t been to Athens, so I can’t make a recommendation between the two. I thought Rome was good for a few days to see all of those sites, but I also really enjoyed the Borghese and the Vatican museum for the art.

I do really want to go to Athens and see where it all started. People make a big deal of renaissance sculpture but when you see Ancient Greek work done thousands of years earlier it knocks your socks off. If you think you’ll do another trip to Europe maybe start w Greece and then do Italy. For me though, the combination of renaissance art and especially the food, makes Italy a must.

Reactions: VOLNPA
been to both several times and don't know how long you are staying so it is hard to say....

but will say you can do Rome in 3 days unless you take several day trips.....For example, take a fast moving train to Salerno hop a ferry to Postiano Lunch ferry to Sorrento fast moving train by to rome...
Go to Florence venture and eat catch the market....Pisa. Lake Como and travel through Switerland to Zurich on a one day excursion from Florence....

Athens is great but you have to also include the day trips....It's amazing worth it....I never get stuck in one city.....

Our last trip to Europe 52 cities 4 countries in 18 days from Lisbon to Venice via Spain Switzerland...overnighted in 8 different cities visited 52.

You are planning early it appears..... Check out AirB&B and Perfect Route . com....

If you can don't rent a car, train and don't get locked in to on city....

Portugal is the best kept secret in Europe....

Spend the money take your time and do both....excellent choices....and Lisbon (no fast moving trains but worth the trip) We used bus trains, and subway through Portugal.. Do not train to Madrid -- fly...

Last edited:
Sorrento, Naples and Pompeii for a day, Florence and Milan for another day or two. Rome is amazing. Like many said, you can do it in 3 days, but you could easily spend another 2 days visiting the Vatican. My favorite was actually this little castle town outside of Latina called Sermoneta. Beautiful walls and on the mountainside overlooking Latina

Damn...that's really hustling. Thanx for the info. We did see a Travelzoo deal to Portugal but it was January travel and didn't wanna drive to NY this time of year.

Damn...that's really hustling. Thanx for the info. We did see a Travelzoo deal to Portugal but it was January travel and didn't wanna drive to NY this time of year.
Portugal is awesome.....loved it....food Food and food....easy to get around and great history, Cheap and friendly....Old Europe...

We had a blast in Italy like some said Florence is a great place to go....my favorite region is Tuscany...day trips are easy Pisa and Lucca...I saw Carlos Santana in concert 2007 in Lucca. Small town surrounded by a wall....Uffizi Museum in Florence has Da Vinci works in the basement.

I would probably do Italy if you had the time to Venture and not stay the entire in Rome...It's crowded and beware of Strikes.....

I would return the next year and go to Greece. 10 day trips for both.....

Always keep Portugal in the back of your mind.....

Best part of Italy: eat a pizza in northern Italy, in Rome and in Naples. Notice how all three are miles better than any pizza you’ve ever had, yet all noticeably different

and then to Florence for a Dry Aged Steak.

Attachments

• 20170805_195200.jpg
    20170805_195200.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
We have not been to Greece, but last year we did a combined trip of Croatia for 3.5 days and week in Italy - spent time in Rome, Florence, Pisa, and Venice. We did not spend much time in one place and glad we got to see a lot.

J
We had a blast in Italy like some said Florence is a great place to go....my favorite region is Tuscany...day trips are easy Pisa and Lucca...I saw Carlos Santana in concert 2007 in Lucca. Small town surrounded by a wall....Uffizi Museum in Florence has Da Vinci works in the basement.

I would probably do Italy if you had the time to Venture and not stay the entire in Rome...It's crowded and beware of Strikes.....

I would return the next year and go to Greece. 10 day trips for both.....

Always keep Portugal in the back of your mind.....
Highly recommend Portugal. But not so much for seeing ancient ruins

We've been to Rome 3 times, Athens 2. We greatly prefer Rome. Just more to see and do. I don't want to seem negative about Athens though. You should see both, but IF you can only visit one-----
Include the Vatican, and hire a guide. The Sistine Chaple, Michaelangelo!!!, Colisseum, pantheon, Trevi Fountain, etc.
Florence is a day trip. 1 word, David!!!!! They don't make humans like Michaelangelo any more.
The Amalfi coast is worth at least two days. Pompei is unbelievable. Positano, and other towns are beautiful. The food might be the best in the world. Certainly, the pizza is.

And if you can get there Venice is a "must see". Several days in the area. Lake Como.

Greece is nice to, but you might want to consider a cruise that will visit several of the islands and possibly Ephesus. Even Istanbul.
Rhodes, Olympia, Delfi. You might get ruins overload?

The Mediterranean, a warning, They give masters and doctorates in pick pocketing. Especially in Rome.
But, much less violent than the US.

Don't go in June, July, August. Too hot and too crowded.

Enjoy your trip.

I have done Rome. Honestly was not impressed. Pantheon was great, some of the churches are amazing too. but honestly once you have seen one of them they all kinda blend together. Colosseum is honestly not impressive at all. if you are used to SEC/NFL stadiums its a step down, especially because there is really only one ring you can walk around unless you go behind the scenes. The Palatine Hill right next to the Colosseum is far more interesting and it lets you wander around some ruins. It was a lot more interesting walking around the city than going to individual points. seemed like when I was there half the city was being renovated. great food though. don't eat anywhere that has English writing. you can figure out the menus without it, and honestly everything is going to be good anyway.

I've been to both cities multiple times. They both have their advantages so I don't think there is a wrong choice. Personally, I'd head to Athens.

I have done Rome. Honestly was not impressed. Pantheon was great, some of the churches are amazing too. but honestly once you have seen one of them they all kinda blend together. Colosseum is honestly not impressive at all. if you are used to SEC/NFL stadiums its a step down, especially because there is really only one ring you can walk around unless you go behind the scenes. The Palatine Hill right next to the Colosseum is far more interesting and it lets you wander around some ruins. It was a lot more interesting walking around the city than going to individual points. seemed like when I was there half the city was being renovated. great food though. don't eat anywhere that has English writing. you can figure out the menus without it, and honestly everything is going to be good anyway.

You can certainly get church overload. All of them are magnificent, even in small towns. Shows how much money the Catholic Church has. But, after a while it seems redundant to a non Catholic. One of my worst "foot in mouth" moments. We were having drinks at a rooftop bar in Rome, and I told another couple that I was sick of seeing all the churches. She was a devout Catholic, and let me have it. I felt bad, and explained that all the nuances in each structure were lost on me. Haven't spoken to each other since, but no need to. Yet.
You compare a 2000 year old structure to Neyland. I don't get that. Been to the Great pyramid? I think it is the construction that interest me. Also the evolution of construction, and how smart people were 2000-5000 years ago.

You can certainly get church overload. All of them are magnificent, even in small towns. Shows how much money the Catholic Church has. But, after a while it seems redundant to a non Catholic. One of my worst "foot in mouth" moments. We were having drinks at a rooftop bar in Rome, and I told another couple that I was sick of seeing all the churches. She was a devout Catholic, and let me have it. I felt bad, and explained that all the nuances in each structure were lost on me. Haven't spoken to each other since, but no need to. Yet.
You compare a 2000 year old structure to Neyland. I don't get that. Been to the Great pyramid? I think it is the construction that interest me. Also the evolution of construction, and how smart people were 2000-5000 years ago.
the main critique on the Colosseum is how empty it was, how little you get to see. and the reason I bring up SEC stadiums is I am used to seeing them on TV and going wow that's big, and seeing them in person and going wow that's big. but the Colosseum has always seemed so big on the screen, but in real life there just isn't much there. expectation/reality not Colosseum/Neyland.

as a Catholic the churches got old too. some are special and stick out, but for the most part they just kinda blend together. St. Peter's was definitely something else, and there was another that we toured in a small town that sticks out to me (can't remember town or church name though)

We
We've been to Rome 3 times, Athens 2. We greatly prefer Rome. Just more to see and do. I don't want to seem negative about Athens though. You should see both, but IF you can only visit one-----
Include the Vatican, and hire a guide. The Sistine Chaple, Michaelangelo!!!, Colisseum, pantheon, Trevi Fountain, etc.
Florence is a day trip. 1 word, David!!!!! They don't make humans like Michaelangelo any more.
The Amalfi coast is worth at least two days. Pompei is unbelievable. Positano, and other towns are beautiful. The food might be the best in the world. Certainly, the pizza is.

And if you can get there Venice is a "must see". Several days in the area. Lake Como.

Greece is nice to, but you might want to consider a cruise that will visit several of the islands and possibly Ephesus. Even Istanbul.
Rhodes, Olympia, Delfi. You might get ruins overload?

The Mediterranean, a warning, They give masters and doctorates in pick pocketing. Especially in Rome.
But, much less violent than the US.

Don't go in June, July, August. Too hot and too crowded.

Enjoy your trip.
We are looking at day trips to the islands. One trip we saw hits 3 in a day. Definitely something I'd like to do if we end up in Greece.

problem I'm having is layover from Rome on way back. 13 hour layovers in Switzerland. Can I leave airport on layover and still be allowed to get on my flight?

problem I'm having is layover from Rome on way back. 13 hour layovers in Switzerland. Can I leave airport on layover and still be allowed to get on my flight?
How are you searching for flights? I found doing my trip from here to Rome to Croatia and around was easier with single flights than round trip and letting the airline chose for me.

I went the round trip route from NY. Greece is nonstop. Rome is a 24 hour trip with layovers in either Brussels, Zurich or London pending on airline.

I would think you could, but you should check with someone else.

VN Store

Back