Ask Behr anything about anything not related to food

Both Italian and Greek do well, but the Greek just looks better. You can "train" the vines to climb the wire or string and it looks really cool. Last year I had a total of 8. 2 had vines touching the ground (about 6 feet),and climbing the wire and falling down. Friends said they should have been in a magazine. You should try it. They smell good too.

The Opal and Osmin basil are really good to keep mosquito's away. FYI.

Greek+Oregano+2010.jpg

I had told you in that other thread (or maybe it was somewhere in this one) that I had ordered that Osmin. Well, I ordered it on May 14 (so says my invoice), and it was delivered today, so a month. It came out from the Solomon Islands. They must've known it was too long or something because they put in some extra tomato seeds in the package. I will have to see what kind of tomatoes those are!

I planted a little window oblong planter with that Osmin.

I think those seeds are smaller than the regular sweet basil.

Reactions: Behr
I had told you in that other thread (or maybe it was somewhere in this one) that I had ordered that Osmin. Well, I ordered it on May 14 (so says my invoice), and it was delivered today, so a month. It came out from the Solomon Islands. They must've known it was too long or something because they put in some extra tomato seeds in the package. I will have to see what kind of tomatoes those are!

I planted a little window oblong planter with that Osmin.

I think those seeds are smaller than the regular sweet basil.
Awesome! I think you're gonna really enjoy it. That's cool you have it in a planter. Inside?

Awesome! I think you're gonna really enjoy it. That's cool you have it in a planter. Inside?
It's at the side of the house that gets 3-4 hours of morning sun now. I'm hoping it germinates in a week or 10 days.
Most of my other basil is on the screened porch where it gets 5-6 hours of evening sun. I put a lot of the mature basil there on the screened porch.
When these germinate, I plan to let them grow a little bit and put them on the screened porch.
Edit: I planted it pretty thick, probably too thick, but can always thin it.

Man, I will tell you what has taken over is pineapple sage. I grew one last year in like a 7-gallon grow sack. This one is in a planter with regular sage and is choking it out. I'm going to have to move the regular sage.

It's at the side of the house that gets 3-4 hours of morning sun now. I'm hoping it germinates in a week or 10 days.
Most of my other basil is on the screened porch where it gets 5-6 hours of evening sun. I put a lot of the mature basil there on the screened porch.
When these germinate, I plan to let them grow a little bit and put them on the screened porch.
Edit: I planted it pretty thick, probably too thick, but can always thin it.

Yea, getting that much morning sun is perfect. I keep saying I'm gonna plant a few things inside, but when I start planning it I end up needing a half acre planter and get frustrated and put it off. I had 3, one in each window in my kitchen at my house on the beach. Spent a lot of time in that kitchen.

Anyway, I'm bout to start reminiscing and that ain't good. TFG will be here with Tl;Dr.

I Look forward to the updates.

Reactions: GordonC
Yea, getting that much morning sun is perfect. I keep saying I'm gonna plant a few things inside, but when I start planning it I end up needing a half acre planter and get frustrated and put it off. I had 3, one in each window in my kitchen at my house on the beach. Spent a lot of time in that kitchen.

Anyway, I'm bout to start reminiscing and that ain't good. TFG will be here with Tl;Dr.

I Look forward to the updates.
Only thing I grow indoors is cuttings in the windowsill.
Wife's pretty much said no more planters. HAHAHAHA

Only thing I grow indoors is cuttings in the windowsill.
Wife's pretty much said no more planters. HAHAHAHA
Do you ever make basil vinegar, or any other herb vinegar? The purple Osmin makes a really good one, especially aesthetically. Put it in a cool bottle or cruet with a sprig and its really cool. People do that with olive oil but it ruins the oil imo. The basil vinegar makes a nice vinaigrette dressing too.

Reactions: GordonC
Do you ever make basil vinegar, or any other herb vinegar? The purple Osmin makes a really good one, especially aesthetically. Put it in a cool bottle or cruet with a sprig and its really cool. People do that with olive oil but it ruins the oil imo. The basil vinegar makes a nice vinaigrette dressing too.
I haven't, but that sounds like something the wife would like to try. Thanks much.
I like to coat squash in olive oil and parm cheese and bake it and add some basil and Lawry's seasoned pepper and cook it in the oven.

I haven't, but that sounds like something the wife would like to try. Thanks much.
I like to coat squash in olive oil and parm cheese and bake it and add some basil and Lawry's seasoned pepper and cook it in the oven.
Lawry's is underrated.

Lawry's is underrated.
Absolutely. We only had one store here besides WM that carries the seasoned pepper: Kroger. Then I complained so much that the Food City here started carrying it. It's pricey, but I cannot eat any other pepper now.

Some of the best Bloody Mary's have been rimmed with Lawry's. I used to use it on my French fries, fried shrimp, fried chicken....a bunch of fried stuff. Lol. I have some in my spice rack, but I don't use it as often as I should.

I miss my charcoal grill, and my gas grill.

Best rack of lamb I have done was on the charcoal grill.

I think cast iron would work well. I like using it when camping, great for roasting veggies over the campfire.
thinking if i use briquettes to get it real hot and let skillet sit on it a while

VN Store

Back