Ask Behr anything about anything not related to food

Last edited:
Reactions: 82_VOL_83
3 years I've tried growing super hot pepper plants from seed (Scorpion, Carolina reapers, Ghost, Dougla etc) and had no luck. I'm gonna try buying plants this time. I haven't ordered anything from these guys yet but I'm going to.

You asked for comments, there's mine.

Hot Pepper Plant, Scotch Bonnet Yellow
we've had a lot of success in previous years growing thai basil. In fact, the owner of a local Thai restuarant that we know gave us a gift card for giving him some to use. We had more than we could use at home. So far this year it hasn't taken off. Not sure what the deal is

I've had the best luck with serranos. Dont know why but they do better than jalapenos and bells that I've planted. Planted in the same bed and they are very prolific compared to the others

One of the things I miss about living in Napa was how well things grew in the garden and in CA in general.

So much fresh produce to be had.

we've had a lot of success in previous years growing thai basil. In fact, the owner of a local Thai restuarant that we know gave us a gift card for giving him some to use. We had more than we could use at home. So far this year it hasn't taken off. Not sure what the deal is
Yea its easy to grow. I usually grow a little for looks, but I don't have much use for it.

One of the things I miss about living in Napa was how well things grew in the garden and in CA in general.

So much fresh produce to be had.

You should grow a small herb garden on your lanai. You could spend $10 and have a couple in one container or, well go all out. This one is pretty cool.

4+Tier+Plastic+Vertical+Planter.jpg

The only place I've seen Scotch Bonnets here, is the Kroger in Farragut. When I asked about bread fruit, the Produce Manager said they could order it, might want to ask, where you do your shopping. Scotch Bonnet is my favorite pepper and Grace Scotch Bonnet sauce, is the best, it's made in Jamaica. My daughter in law buys me several bottles every year at Christmas to do me. (though, I do know Razzleberry's in Oak Ridge has it, if I run out).
LOL, my Kroger's does good to get Jalapenos! I have asked for Scotch Bonnet and they look at me like I am from Mars. I am trying to find a substitute to put in a Jerk recipe. ORB, ask your daughter in law (when she has time) to look at the marinade/rub recipe from the NYT's. Yes, I know, I couldn't believe it either.....here it is though and it is AWESOME!

Jerk Chicken Recipe

3 years I've tried growing super hot pepper plants from seed (Scorpion, Carolina reapers, Ghost, Dougla etc) and had no luck. I'm gonna try buying plants this time. I haven't ordered anything from these guys yet but I'm going to.

You asked for comments, there's mine.

Hot Pepper Plant, Scotch Bonnet Yellow
@Behr, that's an excellent though. I wonder if I could actually get them to grow, could I freeze the excess?

LOL, my Kroger's does good to get Jalapenos! I have asked for Scotch Bonnet and they look at me like I am from Mars. I am trying to find a substitute to put in a Jerk recipe. ORB, ask your daughter in law (when she has time) to look at the marinade/rub recipe from the NYT's. Yes, I know, I couldn't believe it either.....here it is though and it is AWESOME!

Jerk Chicken Recipe

It wouldn't let me read it unless I signed up. If I could get my hands on pimento wood, I'm going to make some this summer and with pork.

Yea its easy to grow. I usually grow a little for looks, but I don't have much use for it.
I bought some Thai and some Cinnamon Basil this year, and when I told my wife and she asked me what she was going to use it for (we use the sweet basil a lot), I said I don't know but I like the way the plants look. HA I got Bonnie plants on each of those, and there were at least 4 in every container, so I spread them out. I'll be interested to see how well they grow from cuttings like the other basil does. This year, I thinned out my sage and oregano roots, and put some cuttings just in water about a month ago and am really surprised how many of them have formed roots and are ready to transplant.

We just started growing herbs 3-4 years ago, and we're hooked. It's hard to describe the difference between fresh and store-bought in terms of the taste.

I like that idea of a stacking herb garden for the porch in that picture. I've looked at those, but Lowe's has a barrel-looking resin planter that doesn't show sign of weathering here in East TN, even if I leave them outside all winter. They run about $15 (42 quart, I think), but sometimes they drop them down to 25% off, and I pick up a couple. We've been using those.

Edit: This is the planter I use. I've had really good luck with this in terms of the weathering. Also, the pop out holes are simple and don't require a drill.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/L-G-Solutions-19-3-in-W-x-12-1-in-H-Oak-Resin-Planter/50445052

I bought some Thai and some Cinnamon Basil this year, and when I told my wife and she asked me what she was going to use it for (we use the sweet basil a lot), I said I don't know but I like the way the plants look. HA I got Bonnie plants on each of those, and there were at least 4 in every container, so I spread them out. I'll be interested to see how well they grow from cuttings like the other basil does. This year, I thinned out my sage and oregano roots, and put some cuttings just in water about a month ago and am really surprised how many of them have formed roots and are ready to transplant.

We just started growing herbs 3-4 years ago, and we're hooked. It's hard to describe the difference between fresh and store-bought in terms of the taste.

I like that idea of a stacking herb garden for the porch in that picture. I've looked at those, but Lowe's has a barrel-looking resin planter that doesn't show sign of weathering here in East TN, even if I leave them outside all winter. They run about $15 (42 quart, I think), but sometimes they drop them down to 25% off, and I pick up a couple. We've been using those.

Edit: This is the planter I use. I've had really good luck with this in terms of the weathering. Also, the pop out holes are simple and don't require a drill.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/L-G-Solutions-19-3-in-W-x-12-1-in-H-Oak-Resin-Planter/50445052

I grow several herbs just for aesthetics and smell. I like Thai basils flavor, just don't care for it in anything. Opel and Osmin taste more like sweet basil and look better too.

I grow a lot of oregano in planters and hanging containers, Greek is beautiful in a hanging basket.

I've had good luck with herbs except for tarragon, for some reason it just doesn't want to grow. I can keep it alive, it just doesn't grow.

I grow several herbs just for aesthetics and smell. I like Thai basils flavor, just don't care for it in anything. Opel and Osmin taste more like sweet basil and look better too.

I grow a lot of oregano in planters and hanging containers, Greek is beautiful in a hanging basket.

I've had good luck with herbs except for tarragon, for some reason it just doesn't want to grow. I can keep it alive, it just doesn't grow.
Good info on the Greek. That's what I started from cuttings and have almost ready to transplant.

I haven't tried tarragon, but I planted some marjoram last year. I put it into a planter with some thyme. Both survived winter outside last year without my watering it at all. The marjoram hasn't grown, though. It might be that they're not good companions, because the thyme is pretty aggressive. I don't know.

One of the biggest mistakes I made when we started down the herb path was just poking a few lemon balm seeds into the containers early in the year. We decided to stop growing citronella and wanted help with insects on the screened porch. That lemon balm is a pain! I'm convinced even if you get up 99% of the roots, that 1% left over wants to take over again.

Good info on the Greek. That's what I started from cuttings and have almost ready to transplant.

I haven't tried tarragon, but I planted some marjoram last year. I put it into a planter with some thyme. Both survived winter outside last year without my watering it at all. The marjoram hasn't grown, though. It might be that they're not good companions, because the thyme is pretty aggressive. I don't know.

One of the biggest mistakes I made when we started down the herb path was just poking a few lemon balm seeds into the containers early in the year. We decided to stop growing citronella and wanted help with insects on the screened porch. That lemon balm is a pain! I'm convinced even if you get up 99% of the roots, that 1% left over wants to take over again.

Both Italian and Greek do well, but the Greek just looks better. You can "train" the vines to climb the wire or string and it looks really cool. Last year I had a total of 8. 2 had vines touching the ground (about 6 feet),and climbing the wire and falling down. Friends said they should have been in a magazine. You should try it. They smell good too.

The Opal and Osmin basil are really good to keep mosquito's away. FYI.

Greek+Oregano+2010.jpg

Reactions: GordonC

VN Store

Back