As of Tennessee's last game on March 3rd

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
... who's the best player on this team?

Jaden Springer would be my guess. I think he'll lead us in scoring by year's end (he's tied with Fulk for second rn I think) and he has improved each game on defense. A better distributor than I thought before the season as well, he's had some great passes this year

... who's the best player on this team?
That's a really tough question to answer, and I think it's a good thing.

You can take it two ways; "Who has shown the most?", or "Who has shown the most potential?"

On the floor thru 7 games, and this is probably a hot take, but I'm tempted to say JJJ has been the best player, overall. Maybe the "most complete player" is a more accurate way to state it. Averaging 9 ppg, and leads the team in both rebounds and steals, and is 2nd in both assists and blocks. He is far and away the leader in +/-, and is the team leader in win shares, as well.

In terms of potential, I think Springer has the most offensive potential for this team, this season. Keon Johnson, because of his athleticism and ceiling, may have the most future NBA potential, but Springer is showing that he is the guy you want to go get you a bucket between the two, right now.

Jaden Springer would be my guess. I think he'll lead us in scoring by year's end (he's tied with Fulk for second rn I think) and he has improved each game on defense. A better distributor than I thought before the season as well, he's had some great passes this year
He'd make for a nice option at PG. 😏

It’s hard to nit pick with this team and I certainly wouldn’t advocate for lineup changes, but our offense just seems to run so much smoother with Springer being our main ball handler. He’s constantly looking to attack and score in the paint and it seems to get better looks for everyone.

Yeah, I’m a convert to you and Bruin’s camp there, him as a PG with Santi off the ball is the best approach I think
Keon has played more point in seven games than I figured he would all season. I don’t think I’d like to see him there during any vital minutes but I suppose the experience can’t hurt

Reactions: cncchris33
Seems as though there’s someone new every night, which is a great thing. I’ll have to go with Triple J myself as he seems to fill the stat sheet every night and his defense is phenomenal.

Hard to say any one player has emerged clearly above the rest. The offensive stats are very balanced and defense, which is half the game, is still pretty subjective. Pons had a slow start so I’d pick probably JJJ with in no particular order Springer, Fulk, Bailey, and Pons 1(b, c, d, and e). By year end it could be Fulk, Pons, KJ, or JS. Good problem to have.

In this case for this Tennessee team, every player in the top seven has shown tremendous value. They all contribute in different ways with different styles and strengths, and that is what makes the sum so impressive. In scheming for Tennessee, an opponent can't focus on two or three guys and be comfortable in containing us. So many weapons and the D is special.

It’s hard to nit pick with this team and I certainly wouldn’t advocate for lineup changes, but our offense just seems to run so much smoother with Springer being our main ball handler. He’s constantly looking to attack and score in the paint and it seems to get better looks for everyone.
There was a section early on where Vescovi made bad things lays on both ends and nearly single handed let Missou back in it. Springer and Johnson came in and scored on three straight possessions.

Reactions: Sportslady
There was a section early on where Vescovi made bad things lays on both ends and nearly single handed let Missou back in it. Springer and Johnson came in and scored on three straight possessions.
Yes, exactly. Athletically Vescovi struggles against physicality. Instinctually, he is terrific. Springer and Johnson are so gifted and smooth athletically, that they're able to force the defense to guard them, vs feeling that Vescovi is just trying to hang on during a possession.

Hard to say any one player has emerged clearly above the rest. The offensive stats are very balanced and defense, which is half the game, is still pretty subjective. Pons had a slow start so I’d pick probably JJJ with in no particular order Springer, Fulk, Bailey, and Pons 1(b, c, d, and e). By year end it could be Fulk, Pons, KJ, or JS. Good problem to have.

Agreed. You don't want to be one dimensional but you do want several "go to" players for those clutch moments.

I'll do you one better!

I think Springer will start over JJJ by February, he too much of a weapon he may even run the point and let Vescovi be a true kick-out option. Fulky will get his and frustrate the crap out of any team in the SEC in the process! Bailey is going to have games atleast three 20+ games this year when he gets going hes hard to stop. Pons had by far his best game of the season last night if he continues to play at that level he'll be a first round pick. Johnson is going to be defensive player of the year, its weird to say after watching Pons dominate last night. But Johnson is the best on ball defender I've seen at UT. He's still very raw compared to Springer but his numbers will only continue to go up. In a non covid year where he had a chance to prepare he would've been right under Fulky. JJJ is going to be an NBA player after next year, he does everything well....just nothing great.

1. Springer 15.6 PPG
2. Fulky 13.4 PPG
3. Bailey 12.8 PPG
4. Vescovi 12.4 PPG
5. Pons 11.9 PPG
6. Johnson 10.5
7. JJJ 9.8 PPG
8. Anosike 0.001 PPG Lol

Last edited:
Tough question to answer. I am shocked that so many people have already said JJJ. I feel like I was trying to convince people that he's a good player just a few days ago....I wouldn't have him in consideration for best on the team though. I think you have to look at Pons, Springer, and Vescovi. I have absolutely no confidence declaring anyone as the best player. I would put JJJ and Fulk in the same tier below Pons, Springer, and Vescovi.

Reactions: StrangeVol
Tough question to answer. I am shocked that so many people have already said JJJ. I feel like I was trying to convince people that he's a good player just a few days ago....I wouldn't have him in consideration for best on the team though. I think you have to look at Pons, Springer, and Vescovi. I have absolutely no confidence declaring anyone as the best player. I would put JJJ and Fulk in the same tier below Pons, Springer, and Vescovi.

I’m not as impressed with Vescovi at this point. Great spot up shooter. Makes some Sports Center Top 10 passes, but typically has as many bad attempts at assists resulting in TOs.

Springer has been impressive. Pons was kind of underachieving until looking like a beast last night.

I’m not as impressed with Vescovi at this point. Great spot up shooter. Makes some Sports Center Top 10 passes, but typically has as many bad attempts at assists resulting in TOs.

Springer has been impressive. Pons was kind of underachieving until looking like a beast last night.

Yet has the teams best a:to ratio

This question is hard to answer because everyone may view what “best player” mean differently...

Most PPG? Right now it’s Bailey, could be hun Springer or Fulk by years end.

Highest projected NBA Pick? Right now appears to be Johnson although Springer has some momentum climbing the charts.

Most complete player? Probably is either JJJ or Pons, both guys bring so much to the table.

Who would you want taking last shot? Could depend on who’s hot, score, and opponent? Seems Fulk or Springer are great options, or JJJ making something happen driving.

Reactions: gnm53108
If you frame question “who could we least afford to lose for an extended period of time” then Pons or Fulkerson because of our depth.

Been following since king/gruntled days and never seen such a deep team

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back