As OC, Chaney has only once averaged less than 5 yds. per play...

I think it's six and counting...

"During his nine seasons as the offensive coordinator at Purdue, Chaney’s offenses ranked in the top 10 in the nation in total offense six times and led the Big Ten in passing five times."

Tennessee football hires Jim Chaney as offensive coordinator

As I stated, scoring offenses...

Red zone is just 1 more Chaney concern. Yards are fine, but only points are counted for a victory.

Would also love some of those offenses to be of the past decade. His offenses have dropped significantly from his Tiller Purdue days to more recently.

1,000 yd rusher is such a garbage stat I can't believe we're still using it in 2019. Hey, look, let's hand off to Jimmy 30 times a game and he'll be a thousand yard back!

The fact that most mainstream sports reporters are still not switched over to YPC just shows how little statistics education is needed for a journalism degree. Stats should be their 2nd major. Even worse for those reporting on politics and being duped.

I agree that having a "1000 yard rusher" needs context, but college football players rarely get to 1000 yard rushing seasons without a combination of endurance (and injury avoidance), ball security, and good yards per carry. You just don't hand the ball off to "Jimmy" 30 times a game if he's averaging 2-3 yards per carry. I sure would've liked to have eleven 1000 yard rushers at UT in the past 10 seasons! We've only had four since 2009, and two of those were while Chaney was our OC!

Go Vols!

Red zone is just 1 more Chaney concern. Yards are fine, but only points are counted for a victory.

Would also love some of those offenses to be of the past decade. His offenses have dropped significantly from his Tiller Purdue days to more recently.

Top 10 scoring offense is an artificial measure. From 2009 to 2018 Alabama was in the top ten in scoring once: this year. 5 titles in that time, not in the lone year they met your criteria. Playing in the SEC lowers your average.
The last two years at Georgia -- the ones Georgia fans are allegedly unhappy with -- Chaney's offense was 2nd and 3rd in the conference in scoring; 2nd and 3rd in conference only games; and 4th and 1st in games against ranked teams.
They were also 3rd in red zone touchdown percentage both years: 2017 ahead of Alabama, 2018 just behind them, so that criticism is nonsense as well.

Top 10 scoring offense is an artificial measure. From 2009 to 2018 Alabama was in the top ten in scoring once: this year. 5 titles in that time, not in the lone year they met your criteria. Playing in the SEC lowers your average.
The last two years at Georgia -- the ones Georgia fans are allegedly unhappy with -- Chaney's offense was 2nd and 3rd in the conference in scoring; 2nd and 3rd in conference only games; and 4th and 1st in games against ranked teams.
They were also 3rd in red zone touchdown percentage both years: 2017 ahead of Alabama, 2018 just behind them, so that criticism is nonsense as well.

1) Well sure if you have Bama's defense of old (not quite this season). 9 ppg, 11 ppg, 12 ppg. You are making an argument based on team success when we are talking offensive success.

2) Ahh yes, the old "Playing in the SEC lowers your average" argument. Do you have proof of that?

Here's the data we do have:

PPG average by conference
Big 12 32.2
SEC 31.9
ACC 30.6
Pac-12 28.5
B1G 28.5

Looks like teams are scoring just fine.

3) But you're also ignoring the fact that Chaney has coached 10/19 years OUTSIDE THE SEC.

4) You are right on the RZ offense. That is a stupid, unfounded argument by the Pups and I should have looked into it first. Their offensive RZ ranking nationally was like 13th. Their defense was in the 100s!

Last edited:
1) Well sure if you have Bama's defense of old (not quite this season). 9 ppg, 11 ppg, 12 ppg. You are making an argument based on team success when we are talking offensive success.

2) Ahh yes, the old "Playing in the SEC lowers your average" argument. Do you have proof of that?

Big 12 32.2
SEC 31.9
ACC 30.6
Pac-12 28.5
B1G 28.5

3) But you're also ignoring the fact that Chaney has coached 10/19 years OUTSIDE THE SEC.

4) You are right on the RZ offense. That is a stupid, unfounded argument by the Pups and I should have looked into it first. Their offensive RZ ranking nationally was like 13th. Their defense was in the 100s!

I wish you hadn't done that, cause now I've spent way more time than I actually have playing with numbers. ;)

1) No I was simply arguing Alabama's offensive success, and mentioning, as a side note their overall success. The point was that nobody would argue that Alabama's offense was less than good during that era, and they were only in the "top ten" once. I'll add that this year's Georgia team WAS in the top ten among power five schools. Choosing "top ten" in scoring as your measure was arbitrary and artificial, especially since nearly half of the top ten every year are non-power five schools. At the very least you could have said "top twenty".

2) This is what each conference scored in conference games and in non-conference games. It shows very clearly that it was much easier for SEC schools to put up big numbers playing non-SEC schools than playing SEC schools. See, the average ACC defense was only 2.7 points better against ACC offenses than the rest of the country was; while the average SEC defense was 14.7 points better against SEC offenses than the rest of the country was. To be honest, I'm fairly shocked that the margin is this great.

in conf out conf
SEC 26.7 41.4
B12 30.4 37.1
B10 27.7 31.1
P12 27.7 30.5
ACC 28.9 31.6

3) Wasn't ignoring anything. You asked for more recent data.

Reactions: southpaw75
Dang dude, don't bring unbiased facts in here. Only pro-UT facts.

But yeah...5 ypp is a VERY LOW benchmark. Only 16 out of 130 offenses did so this year.

But Chaney has more sub 100 offenses than top 10.

His offenses have also gone down this past decade vs his Purdue days. 36 average scoring vs 57th. Should never have abandoned the spread.
Dude, please go slam your head with the toilet seat while sticking it in the bowl.

Dude give it a rest. We didnt get Briles or Sark. Chaney is it. We get you dont like him and all but do you have to bash the guy in every single thread? Geez, how about give him a chance before just saying he wont get us there? I mean you bring up oh well 57th ranked offense blah, blah, blah. But looking at his history shows a good OC. He typically improves the offenses he coaches. Now is he going to work wonders at TN? Who knows? But he knows the SEC and thats a huge plus.

Also, as far as championships? I mean. Give me a break. Using the argument Chaney doesnt have what it takes to get us championships as a justification of his mediocrity is beyond silly.
If only he would take your advice.

Big 12 32.2
SEC 31.9
ACC 30.6
Pac-12 28.5
B1G 28.5

Picking on total offense and 1000 yard rushers to the point of saying anyone referencing them needs a stat degree, but your go to is scoring, and scoring alone?

Assuming you're a stats expert, you can probably figure out that even scoring is a function of more than just quality of your offense. It's directly related to the strength of schedule, the tempo you play at, quality of your defense, field possession, and a variety of other factors. Granted it's not quite as skewed as total offense would be, but it's still not the end all, be all.

ESPN has a "offensive efficiency" metric that does a pretty solid job breaking down how good an offense actually is while considering all of these factors. Since you're interested in how he's done "recently"...

Last seven years, his offense has ranked in the top 25 (23 actually) four times, including finishing 5th last year, and 3rd this year. Also, the worst he has ever finished going back to the first year available in ESPN (2005) was 69th, which is basically slightly below average.

Add in the fact that he's experienced in the SEC, he's been paired with another defensive-minded HC (and did extremely well at UGA...), and will allow Pruitt to focus on the defensive side of the ball, and this is a fantastic hire. But I'm sure you'll have more fun wallowing around anyway, so have fun.

VN Store

Back