Votes: 88 30.1%
  • 5-10

Votes: 117 40.1%
  • 10-15

Votes: 71 24.3%
  • Top 25

Votes: 16 5.5%

• Total voters
I'll say it again. Texas BB is not under a microscope any more than Tennessee BB is. Also, the Texas basketball program is not historically superior to the Tennessee basketball program. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
I'll say it again. Texas BB is not under a microscope any more than Tennessee BB is. Also, the Texas basketball program is not historically superior to the Tennessee basketball program. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
You realize Texas has a Final Four appearance and 4 Elite 8 appearances since 1990, right? UT has one Elite 8 appearance in that same time frame. They've also made the NCAAT every year in that span except for 2013 and 2017. They've also won the Big 12/been co-champs 3 times in that span.

I by no means really care about Texas (don't like them actually), but to say they aren't historically superior to Tennessee in basketball is kinda discrediting them quite a bit.

You realize Texas has a Final Four appearance and 4 Elite 8 appearances since 1990, right? UT has one Elite 8 appearance in that same time frame. They've also made the NCAAT every year in that span except for 2013 and 2017. They've also won the Big 12/been co-champs 3 times in that span.

I by no means really care about Texas (don't like them actually), but to say they aren't historically superior to Tennessee in basketball is kinda discrediting them quite a bit.

You realize that basketball didn't begin in 1990, right?

LSU has 4 Final Fours. Tennessee has more SEC championships than LSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
You realize that basketball didn't begin in 1990, right?
Ok then...

Tournament appearances
Texas - 34 (first in 1939)
Tennessee - 21 (first in 1967)

Sweet 16s
Texas - 10
Tennessee - 7

Elite 8s
Texas - 7
Tennessee - 1

Final Fours
Texas - 3
Tennessee - none

Conference regular season titles
Texas - 25
Tennessee - 10

Neither Texas or Tennessee is a particularly accomplished basketball program - both are clearly football schools, but Texas does have more basketball history than Tennessee does. We've had some recent success in basketball, generally expectations have risen since Pearl, and we are a football school who currently sucks at football, so I think there is a tendency to think that our basketball program is better historically than what it actually is.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Ok then...

Tournament appearances
Texas - 34 (first in 1939)
Tennessee - 21 (first in 1967)

Sweet 16s
Texas - 10
Tennessee - 7

Elite 8s
Texas - 7
Tennessee - 1

Final Fours
Texas - 3
Tennessee - none

Conference regular season titles
Texas - 25
Tennessee - 10

Neither Texas or Tennessee is a particularly accomplished basketball program - both are clearly football schools, but Texas does have more basketball history than Tennessee does. We've had some recent success in basketball, generally expectations have risen since Pearl, and we are a football school who currently sucks at football, so I think there is a tendency to think that our basketball program is better historically than what it actually is.

Until the 1970s the NCAAT extended one bid per conference. The Southwest Conference was in no way comparable to the Southeastern Conference. Kentucky is in the SEC. Kentucky is the winningest team in the history of college basketball. Most of the Texas conference championships were in the 7 team SWC versus power house teams like Rice, TCU, SMU, and Baylor. Slippery Rock could have pulled off some championships in that league.

Last edited:
Until the 1970s the NCAAT extended one bid per conference. The Southwest Conference was in no way comparable to the Southeastern Conference. Kentucky is in the SEC. Kentucky is the winningest team in the history of college basketball.
So you're arguing in a post-SWC, post-only one team in the tournament per conference era Tennessee has been better than Texas?

Texas still has more conference titles, tournament appearances, Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, and Final Fours than Tennessee. Also has had a lot more notable players and put more guys in the NBA. That was pretty much all because of Rick Barnes.

Kansas wasn't bad. Oklahoma State won some National Titles.

Texas has more basketball tradition then Tennessee. Not an opinion just a fact. So does Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU just to name a few other "football schools". Even Georgia has a Final Four. Some are able to do well in both. No reason why you can't.

So you're arguing in a post-SWC, post-only one team in the tournament per conference era Tennessee has been better than Texas?

Texas still has more conference titles, tournament appearances, Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, and Final Fours than Tennessee. Also has had a lot more notable players and put more guys in the NBA. That was pretty much all because of Rick Barnes.

Tennessee has a comparable number of All-Americans. The NIT used to be a more prestigious tournament than the NCAAT. The SEC didn't even participate in the 1939 NCAAT.

Tennessee has a comparable number of All-Americans. The NIT used to be a more prestigious tournament than the NCAAT. The SEC didn't even participate in the 1939 NCAAT.
I meant even in the post-SWC, post-only one team per conference in the Tourney era, Texas has more of those things than Tennessee does.

Kansas wasn't bad. Oklahoma State won some National Titles.

Texas has more basketball tradition then Tennessee. Not an opinion just a fact. So does Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU just to name a few other "football schools". Even Georgia has a Final Four. Some are able to do well in both. No reason why you can't.

Most of Texas's conference history is in a 7 team SWC along with SMU, TCU, Baylor, and Rice. Kansas and OK State were in the Big 8. The Big 12 has existed for less than 25 years.

While Texas was having the most successful run in it's basketball history, how did they do in their head-to-head match ups with lowly Tennessee?

National Titles in Basketball

Pac-12 Conference 15
Atlantic Coast Conference 14
Southeastern Conference 11
Big Ten Conference 10
Big East Conference 8

Southwest Conference/Big 8/Big 12 ??

Based on the current membership, the Big 12 has 5. They do not count the previous SW or Big 8.

Overall, those that are in love with ACC basketball, the SEC football conference isn't bad. 4 ACC schools have National Titles (not counting Louisville as they where not in the ACC when it happened). 3 SEC schools have a National Title.

Final Fours. 6 different SEC schools. KY, GA, LSU, SC, Ark, FL

ACC 6 (since Syracuse made it in 2016) MD, Duke, NC, NC State, Syr, VA

The great ACC really doesn't have that much more success then the ACC. But ESPN wants you to have that impression.

In the last 25 years Texas has been more of a national name than Tennessee has been in college basketball. I don’t think anyone can argue that.

Oh boy, I've missed these TGO vs. everybody else "debates".

Paging Indy "The Brain"

tenor.gif

In the last 25 years Texas has been more of a national name than Tennessee has been in college basketball. I don’t think anyone can argue that.

The history of college basketball did not commence with the formation of the Big 12 Conference. The history of TN basketball did not begin during the Wade Houston era.

The history of college basketball did not commence with the formation of the Big 12 Conference. The history if TN basketball did not begin during the Wade Houston era.

Where did I imply that. My post simply said the last 25 years.

Texas is historically a better basketball program than Tennessee any way you slice it.

Head-to-head is a slice.

Victories over the winningest team in college basketball is a slice.

Strength of the conferences is a slice.

Number of All-Americans is a slice.

VN Store

Back