Are stadium light shows the next phase of the facilities arms war?

VolsdeepVFL

I noticed uga added them during the notre dame game and bama will open our game with their new set. I can already hear the groans from older people and traditionalists, but I think they're pretty cool and I bet recruits do too. Wonder if in 5 or so years most the league has them installed.

Also two thoughts:
You only get 6 home games and maybe 2 night games out of that, is the capX spend worth twice a year?
Does this lighting infrastructure make Neyland much more viable for bigger concerts to come through? Between that and beer sales adding spring/summer concerts could be a huge revenue boast that would help pay for future renovations and keep the stadium operating year round.

Last edited:
Wonder if in 5 or so years most the league has them installed.

Yes, they will, but I believe that this is ultimately a fad which will be pretty lame in 2021 when every school has a light show. As an example, I thought that "Lights Out" as part of Tennessee basketball's pregame was pretty cool last year (and it's not as if we pioneered the concept a la Georgia and 'Bama for football); I'll probably enjoy it mildly this year, though, and then grow tired of it completely by year three.

giphy.gif

By the time we're good enough for prime time kickoffs, the fad will have passed. UT being so down just saved us a ton of money.

Reactions: onevol74 and KBVol
Laser light shows are awesome! Next thing you know they will have a ferris wheel, funnel cake stands, a petting zoo, and a Charlie Daniel's stage.

I like it... just thinking of logistics, we may need to nix the football games to squeeze it all in...

Reactions: RollerVol
Yes, they will, but I believe that this is ultimately a fad which will be pretty lame in 2021 when every school has a light show. As an example, I thought that "Lights Out" as part of Tennessee basketball's pregame was pretty cool last year (and it's not as if we pioneered the concept a la Georgia and 'Bama for football); I'll probably enjoy it mildly this year, though, and then grow tired of it completely by year three.

I doubt that. Technology is making all this stuff possible. You alluded to basketball and the NBA has been giving fans the laser light shows and scoreboard videos to crank up the excitement before and during games. Unless you haven't been paying close attention it's not going anywhere. Stadiums of all kinds and all sports are trying to make these home games about as fan-friendly as humanly possible.

The days of having an electrical issue and holding up the game for 20 minutes till the lights could come back fully are over. Thank Goodness. LED and computers, lasers, pyrotechnics and the lot are the future. Soon, football will be simulating everything we get at these basketball games. By 2021 all SEC teams will have the tech themselves.

I doubt that. Technology is making all this stuff possible. You alluded to basketball and the NBA has been giving fans the laser light shows and scoreboard videos to crank up the excitement before and during games. Unless you haven't been paying close attention it's not going anywhere. Stadiums of all kinds and all sports are trying to make these home games about as fan-friendly as humanly possible.

The days of having an electrical issue and holding up the game for 20 minutes till the lights could come back fully are over. Thank Goodness. LED and computers, lasers, pyrotechnics and the lot are the future. Soon, football will be simulating everything we get at these basketball games. By 2021 all SEC teams will have the tech themselves.

I never once said that LED lights would disappear, of course; if you reread my post. you'll note that I specifically called the light shows a fad. It will not be cool or innovative in five years time to see Neyland turn orange after every touchdown , and it's not going to set a school apart from the pack in the eyes of a recruit when every school has the technology to do colorful pregame shows, but I agree that the general benefits of LED lighting are the wave of the future... just not one that's going to be particularly remarkable in short order.

Reactions: RollerVol and KBVol
I never once said that LED lights would disappear, of course; if you reread my post. you'll note that I specifically called the light shows a fad. It will not be cool or innovative in five years time to see Neyland turn orange after every touchdown , and it's not going to set a school apart from the pack in the eyes of a recruit when every school has the technology to do colorful pregame shows, but I agree that the general benefits of LED lighting are the wave of the future... just not one that's going to be particularly remarkable in short order.

I heard you. But frankly, you sound like the old dude telling folks to get off the lawn. Sounds like you get bored easily?

They have done extensive research into the fan experience and this is just one of the things that came up.

We all know that actual game day participation by fans has diminished over the years. This is just one thing they are trying to do to increase attendance.

I took a date to the remake of that years ago..we only went on one date...

I didn’t know there was a remake. I remember seeing the original with an old girlfriend, VHS tape rental. That tells you how long ago it was. She loved scary movies and I liked how they made her cling to me while watching them. ;)

Reactions: FLVOL_79
You used blue font but this is a big deal. My brother cant be around flashing lights or look directly at certain lights. So this may have been a joke but its very much a real possibility.
I totally agree, this could be a very dangerous situation for someone who suffers from this type of sensitivity, especially if they are in the upper deck. I just didn't want to set off the mob by bringing up an issue they would see as being a party pooper.

Reactions: cwbytruckers

VN Store

Back