Are stadium light shows the next phase of the facilities arms war?

Lane Kiffin likes them just fine down at FAU this year for their 4th quarter hype. I think it brings more energy than holding 4 fingers up, but at some point this will be the new holding 4 fingers up to the programs who can afford new lighting systems...

I know.....and then they lose the pure fan that goes for the game itself as it is. When they introduced the shot clock, three point shot and dunk gimmicks I quit basketball. Haven't been to a game since.

Isn't that as crazy as it gets - because the snowflakes can't live without being on their cell phones every two minutes it makes a difference whether they go to the game or not. Technology, as a whole, is making a generation lazy and killing this country.
You stopped watching basketball because of the shot clock, three point shot, and dunks? God, you must be a special kind of miserable. Snowflakes can’t live without their technology, yet you are still trying to live in the 80s.

I'm not opposed. The more Tennessee Orange in our opponents faces the better. I want people to hate our colors

I know.....and then they lose the pure fan that goes for the game itself as it is. When they introduced the shot clock, three point shot and dunk gimmicks I quit basketball. Haven't been to a game since.

Isn't that as crazy as it gets - because the snowflakes can't live without being on their cell phones every two minutes it makes a difference whether they go to the game or not. Technology, as a whole, is making a generation lazy and killing this country.
Seriously? To me, basketball would be unwatchable without a shot clock. Team goes up 2-0 then spends the rest of the game passing around the perimeter, who would want to watch that?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I doubt that. Technology is making all this stuff possible. You alluded to basketball and the NBA has been giving fans the laser light shows and scoreboard videos to crank up the excitement before and during games. Unless you haven't been paying close attention it's not going anywhere. Stadiums of all kinds and all sports are trying to make these home games about as fan-friendly as humanly possible.

The days of having an electrical issue and holding up the game for 20 minutes till the lights could come back fully are over. Thank Goodness. LED and computers, lasers, pyrotechnics and the lot are the future. Soon, football will be simulating everything we get at these basketball games. By 2021 all SEC teams will have the tech themselves.
We haven't needed anything but the Basketball Team to generate excitement on the court lately. Bama......not so much.

Well, I'm 60 this year and I think if that crap happens, going to a game and actually going inside the stadium to watch will have passed me by. Just get a good seat at Calhoun's and watch from there or bring a TV to the tailgate.

You stopped watching basketball because of the shot clock, three point shot, and dunks? God, you must be a special kind of miserable. Snowflakes can’t live without their technology, yet you are still trying to live in the 80s.
This guy has to be trolling lol

Yes, they will, but I believe that this is ultimately a fad which will be pretty lame in 2021 when every school has a light show. As an example, I thought that "Lights Out" as part of Tennessee basketball's pregame was pretty cool last year (and it's not as if we pioneered the concept a la Georgia and 'Bama for football); I'll probably enjoy it mildly this year, though, and then grow tired of it completely by year three.
When did UGA and Bama start doing it? I specifically remember Purdue doing it last year when they beat Ohio State.

How old are you that you haven't been to a basketball game in almost 50 years!? And you know Tennessee is partly responsible for the shot clock, beating Temple 11-6 in a thriller in 1973. Of course now that you mention it when I watch basketball that's the one thing I think we are really missing, more dribbling in circles...!

Reactions: 82_VOL_83

Hey, lets apply that to football. A field goal up to 40 yards counts as three points. 41-50 yards counts four points and 51+ counts as five points. Maybe we can make it more exciting offensively, too. A pass play of over 40 yards counts as seven points instead of six. Lets do like the dunk - whomever scores a touchdown gets to jump up and hang on the goalpost swinging back and forth like a monkey as if dunking a basketball. These are all gimmicks. Change the game to try to excite someone into coming....not for what the game is.

Reactions: I40flyer
How old are you that you haven't been to a basketball game in almost 50 years!? And you know Tennessee is partly responsible for the shot clock, beating Temple 11-6 in a thriller in 1973. Of course now that you mention it when I watch basketball that's the one thing I think we are really missing, more dribbling in circles...!

Well, you're wrong in that we were partly responsible over that game. I was there. Temple was the one stalling the ball.

giphy.gif

is that the dude from Midnight Oil?

"I'd rather see a KISS show. Football is sacred, and should be kept separate from RockN Roll gimmicks "

I feel the same way about church.

"You stopped watching basketball because of the shot clock, three point shot, and dunks?"

I stopped watching basketball because of the double dribbling, palming and walking. It was almost as if we decided some folks weren't coordinated enough to play the game, so hey, let's just change the game.

Well, you're wrong in that we were partly responsible over that game. I was there. Temple was the one stalling the ball.

We did it to someone. I think it was Kentucky, during the Tony White era. It was a glorious first half.

I noticed uga added them during the notre dame game and bama will open our game with their new set. I can already hear the groans from older people and traditionalists, but I think they're pretty cool and I bet recruits do too. Wonder if in 5 or so years most the league has them installed.

Also two thoughts:
You only get 6 home games and maybe 2 night games out of that, is the capX spend worth twice a year?
Does this lighting infrastructure make Neyland much more viable for bigger concerts to come through? Between that and beer sales adding spring/summer concerts could be a huge revenue boast that would help pay for future renovations and keep the stadium operating year round.

VN Store

Back