Apple TV

The only significant update they could make to that box is to unlock it by supporting multiple media formats like the Western Digital already does with their box.

The interface could be vastly improved. The hardware could be upgraded. An app store could be added. Extra media formats are way down my list for what I want out of an Apple TV. That's what a Raspberry Pi is for.

(Plus I rip everything into MP4 anyway with MakeMKV and then Handbrake.)

The interface could be vastly improved. The hardware could be upgraded. An app store could be added. Extra media formats are way down my list for what I want out of an Apple TV. That's what a Raspberry Pi is for.

An app store with gaming added would be huge. Especially if it stays in that $99 range.

The next big upgrade will include some type of ala cart live programing. I think getting those deals in place is what the hold up has been.

All good suggestions too.
My main point though was that with WD TV most downloaded/saved formats are supported without any conversions. You wouldn't need either MakeMKV or HandBrake.

I got the New ATV for Christmas.

Hard to say it's worth upgrading if you already gave a 3rd Gen but I do like the new interface and dedicated App Store. I barely use Siri although it works pretty well. Mostly I still use my universal remote, which doesn't have a mic, since it worked on the new one out of the box as well. Playing games is an nice added feature even if they are just basic iOS ports for now (the bowling game doesn't compare to the old Wii version LOL)

It really needs some dedicated, designed for the platform, apps to make it stand out from other streaming devices.

There is an interesting app called Channels I would like to try. It requires another $100 device called HDHomeRun tuner. The app essentially let's you connect an over the air antenna or cable box to your ATV and "stream" channels through the ATV interface instead of switching between inputs on the TV. The app is $14.99 as well. Not quite ready to make the investment but I am intrigued. The HomeRun tuner will stream to other Android devices but not iOS at the moment. If Channels comes out with an iphone/iPad app I may just make the jump.

Channels — Live TV on your Apple TV

I have the Apple 3 TV and love it, except for the remote. Apple could have done a lot better with the remote.

The new remote, which doesn't work on the 3rd Gen, it a little better. It controls volume and has a "sleep" button which turns off the TV as well. It worked for my TV right out of the box. No programming needed. Plus the voice button for Siri. The little track pad takes some getting used to. There are also gyros in it for gaming like a Wii-mote.

I have the Apple 3 TV and love it, except for the remote. Apple could have done a lot better with the remote.

If I have my MacBook in the same room, the ATV remote will interact with my MacBook.

It's very annoying.

If I have my MacBook in the same room, the ATV remote will interact with my MacBook.

It's very annoying.

You can turn the remote setting for your Mac off.

I had the same issue when I first got an ATV and had my iMac in the room.

can you get sling tv, on the new apple TV
tia

Not yet. I read they are working on it. In the meantime a sling account can access the WatchESPN app on ATV.

Also, in related news, Amazon said they will have an app for ATV sometime this year.

Not yet. I read they are working on it. In the meantime a sling account can access the WatchESPN app on ATV.

Also, in related news, Amazon said they will have an app for ATV sometime this year.

That's huge news, and actually surprising.

I assumed Amazon would never release anything to ATV in hopes of driving more sales for the FireTV.

That's huge news, and actually surprising.

I assumed Amazon would never release anything to ATV in hopes of driving more sales for the FireTV.

I don't think Amazon is killing it with their own hardware. They probably make more on the prime subscriptions.

Even Apple is playing with the idea of opening up Apple Music for Android.

Sling TV is available for Apple TV now.

Not sure if it's just on the new model or all.

Sling TV is available for Apple TV now.

Not sure if it's just on the new model or all.

I heard they're also offering some substantial discounts on new models if you subscribe to sling for three months, or something like that.

I heard they're also offering some substantial discounts on new models if you subscribe to sling for three months, or something like that.

Lots of antennas and streaming boxes have a deal where you pre-pay for 3 months of SLING and get a $50 off coupon. Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV/stick, RCA indoor cheap-o antenna at Walmart, etc.

Best Buy should have it on the product pages.

So, essentially 3 months of sling for $10.

VN Store

Back