Apple TV

Movies maybe I downloaded or given at work. I just find plugging in a jump drive into the side much easier than dealing with itunes.

I'm a huge mac person. Use them at work and have them at home. I have a program called air parrot that allows me to mimick air play but roku just has so many more channels. Now if I could jailbreak my at3 to make it more open like the roku I would probably switch.

Movies maybe I downloaded or given at work. I just find plugging in a jump drive into the side much easier than dealing with itunes.

I'm a huge mac person. Use them at work and have them at home. I have a program called air parrot that allows me to mimick air play but roku just has so many more channels. Now if I could jailbreak my at3 to make it more open like the roku I would probably switch.

Or jailbreak your phone or iPad. Not familiar with roku but don't know of any channels is use other than the major networks & what I could stream.

Or jailbreak your phone or iPad. Not familiar with roku but don't know of any channels is use other than the major networks & what I could stream.

Roku has something like 150 channel apps. While I love my Apple TV I can definitely see the appeal of not having to pull out another device to watch something. It also has a universal search that looks at every app for the content query.

Last edited:
Update: Just got my Apple TV on Thursday. I am very happy with it. It really syncs up nicely with my iPhone and macbook. I used my sis n law's password to get ESPN, etc. Netflix comes in clear. Got a refurbished one from apple.com for $75.00

Update: Just got my Apple TV on Thursday. I am very happy with it. It really syncs up nicely with my iPhone and macbook. I used my sis n law's password to get ESPN, etc. Netflix comes in clear. Got a refurbished one from apple.com for $75.00

That's a great price!

I just recently started using the Homesharing feature. I don't generally own a lot of movies for myself but the kids have a handfull of DVDs. Its nice to just rip them to the computer and stream them from iTunes as opposed to messing with switching out discs.

That's a great price!

I just recently started using the Homesharing feature. I don't generally own a lot of movies for myself but the kids have a handfull of DVDs. Its nice to just rip them to the computer and stream them from iTunes as opposed to messing with switching out discs.

The home sharing is great. The only problem I have is when I'm using the remote for the Apple TV, it controls my MacBook at the same time. I'll be flipping channels etc and it will start my itunes playing on my laptop

The home sharing is great. The only problem I have is when I'm using the remote for the Apple TV, it controls my MacBook at the same time. I'll be flipping channels etc and it will start my itunes playing on my laptop

Maybe tape a piece of paper or put black tape over the little remote sensor on the side of the Mac. That would probably stop the remote from controlling the laptop.

I had the same problem when I was first setting up my ATV because my iMac is in the same room.

You can turn it off in the settings of your Mac. It was easy to do but I cant remember where off the top of my head. Just google it.

Last edited:
I had the same problem when I was first setting up my ATV because my iMac is in the same room.

You can turn it off in the settings of your Mac. It was easy to do but I cant remember where off the top of my head. Just google it.
Ok thanks

I have an Air so I wasn't aware of that being an option. Sounds like the best solution.

I use mine a lot. We find ourselves watching the screen saver with all our photos quite a bit lol. It's funny how the hbo app on the Apple TV isn't compatible with our provider yet the iPhone app is.

Apple landed exclusive rights to HBO NOW subscription service and lowered the price of Apple TV to $69.

Apple landed exclusive rights to HBO NOW subscription service and lowered the price of Apple TV to $69.

...which is cool and all, but I was hoping they'd announce a new box update. Looking like there won't be one anytime soon. That's too bad.

On the other hand, I've seen rumors that the Roku 4 (or Roku 4k, whatever they'll call it) may be released this month, so there's that. I need to buy another box and was hoping to have a couple fresh new releases to compare. I guess maybe there won't be a choice to make.

...which is cool and all, but I was hoping they'd announce a new box update. Looking like there won't be one anytime soon. That's too bad.

On the other hand, I've seen rumors that the Roku 4 (or Roku 4k, whatever they'll call it) may be released this month, so there's that. I need to buy another box and was hoping to have a couple fresh new releases to compare. I guess maybe there won't be a choice to make.

The Apple rumor consensus has been that a new box is coming in 2015, but it's just not ready to announce yet. Supposed to be a fairly significant update when it finally shows up.

<obligatory hand-making-jack-off-motion-at-the-rumors.jpg>

The Apple rumor consensus has been that a new box is coming in 2015, but it's just not ready to announce yet. Supposed to be a fairly significant update when it finally shows up.

Tru dat. September at the earliest, I suppose, maybe November. But I've been holding out since last summer, thinking both updates (Apple & Roku) were likely right around the corner, and I'm about done waiting. If Roku springs one soon, I'm in.

The Airplay stuff is so seamless [1] that I'm definitely going to get the next Apple TV when it comes out regardless -- plus my little kids have no problem using it by themselves, which is great -- but I'm probably going to get the next Roku box as well. I've got extra HDMI ports.

Also, and not to derail, but congratulations on your excellent taste in whisk(e)y. There are not a lot of us with similar taste on this site, but I am one. I've carried a flask of Highland Park into Neyland several times and boasted to the frau that we might not have the best seats, but I'd wager heavily that out of 100,000 we were drinking the best whiskey.

[1] (since one of my routers is an Apple router, which makes a difference)

The Airplay stuff is so seamless [1] that I'm definitely going to get the next Apple TV when it comes out regardless -- plus my little kids have no problem using it by themselves, which is great -- but I'm probably going to get the next Roku box as well. I've got extra HDMI ports.

Also, and not to derail, but congratulations on your excellent taste in whisk(e)y. There are not a lot of us with similar taste on this site, but I am one. I've carried a flask of Highland Park into Neyland several times and boasted to the frau that we might not have the best seats, but I'd wager heavily that out of 100,000 we were drinking the best whiskey.

[1] (since one of my routers is an Apple router, which makes a difference)

Ah, yes, nectar of the gods. They must have summered in Orkney. You'd have won those bets, I'm sure.

I love the Roku 3 (especially the earphone jack on the remote, since the only time I get with the TV is after everyone else is asleep) and I'd happily buy another. I just feel like I should have one AppleTV since all our devices and computers are Apple.

I do get annoyed with the pissing contests Apple and Amazon get into though, since I use Prime and have plenty of digital content stored there. It helps that Roku is outside that particular fray.

You can easily use the Amazon instant video on your phone/iPad and send it over to the Apple TV using Airplay, even if the Apple TV itself doesn't have an Amazon app on it. I don't exactly recommend the Apple TV right now but I'm really interested to see the next one.

Two Apple TVs + a headless machine with the kids' video library on it has been a godsend. I no longer have to deal with scratched-up disks or start shows for them or do anything other than tell them when it's time to turn the TV off.

You can easily use the Amazon instant video on your phone/iPad and send it over to the Apple TV using Airplay, even if the Apple TV itself doesn't have an Amazon app on it. I don't exactly recommend the Apple TV right now but I'm really interested to see the next one.

Two Apple TVs + a headless machine with the kids' video library on it has been a godsend. I no longer have to deal with scratched-up disks or start shows for them or do anything other than tell them when it's time to turn the TV off.

Hmmm, there's the direction I should be thinking. If my kids aren't commandeering the Roku, they're trying to sneak off with an iPad, or worse, a MacBook. They have a separate TV in their playroom with a cable box and BluRay but rarely go near it unless I carry the Roku in there (when I'm watching a game and refuse to concede). We limit their screen time but had the bright idea of giving them their own spot to watch (where we don't have to, other than spot monitoring). Now my wife and I are the only ones who watch their TV.

I have an old computer with a big external hard drive plugged into it that lives in a closet downstairs. I keep iTunes running on it with the library on the external drive; I've ripped every DVD and Blu-ray that they've ever liked and copied it into that library. We've got two TVs with an Apple TV hooked up to each of them. The kids can watch what they want on either TV; I can kick them off the "good" TV and they can pick up downstairs without missing a beat. The interface is easy enough that they can handle it all themselves. The only problem has been keeping up with those silly little tiny remotes.

I like it. Smart setup. That'd work out well for me too. They rarely touch the disks anymore anyway. I'd be glad to be fully rid of them.

Thanks for the good ideas. I'm gonna stretch the night a bit longer and catch Better Call Saul before bed. Keep drinking the good stuff.

The only significant update they could make to that box is to unlock it by supporting multiple media formats like the Western Digital already does with their box.

I have an old computer with a big external hard drive plugged into it that lives in a closet downstairs. I keep iTunes running on it with the library on the external drive; I've ripped every DVD and Blu-ray that they've ever liked and copied it into that library. We've got two TVs with an Apple TV hooked up to each of them. The kids can watch what they want on either TV; I can kick them off the "good" TV and they can pick up downstairs without missing a beat. The interface is easy enough that they can handle it all themselves. The only problem has been keeping up with those silly little tiny remotes.

Get yourself a Bluetooth keyboard. Mine's been a lifesaver over the terrible Apple TV remote.

Get yourself a Bluetooth keyboard. Mine's been a lifesaver over the terrible Apple TV remote.

We have the remote app installed on all our devices, which works pretty well. It's just not ideal when one of your main goals is to let a kindergartener handle her own video-watching. She vastly prefers the remote and she's great with it; she just can't keep up with it.

VN Store

Back