Anyone see this article? Sorry if already posted

It's perhaps more complex than Barnes or others realize. - if Fulky has had covid a couple of times - his body may not be ready to perform at a high level. A few days down the road - he might return to his old self - not ready to write him off just because he is weak and slow to get back up to speed after Covid. It affects everyone differently.

This is why Plav. played the bulk of the minutes in the second half. If Fulky doesn’t turn it around, don’t be surprised if Plav. is starting.
If this really happens, let’s try to get that NIT banner come March

I read, re-read, and then read it again. I don't think it is so much throwing Fulky under the bus, just pretty much stating the truth. Looks like he puts a lot of trust in John as far as if he is ready to play. Who knows what the Rona has done to John. I have heard of many that have taken months to get over and even others that say the old thought process has not been the same as before (slower judgement) I think Fulky is willing to play the whole game, give his all. It looks as if Barnes trust Fulky enough to come forward, be honest as far as his health, and step aside for the good of the team at that moment until he is healthy enough. (I am not talking permanently either)
If what we were told by Barnes is true, that all players except a walk on and a redshirt have been vaccinated, then COVID shouldn’t be much more than a cold for Fulky.

Covid strikes people different.
From everything we have been “ told” those that 1. Have already had it and 2. Have been vaccinated are typically not affected like those that are neither. Ovioulsy Barnes didn’t think Fulky was sick or he wouldn’t have kept putting in the game

From everything we have been “ told” those that 1. Have already had it and 2. Have been vaccinated are typically not affected like those that are neither. Ovioulsy Barnes didn’t think Fulky was sick or he wouldn’t have kept putting in the game

I’ve known people with sniffles & I’ve known people with extreme fatigue or breathing issues, all who were vaxxed. I’ve heard JF was pretty ill week of Alabama game. Bottom line to me is if JF isn’t playing to acceptable level, Barnes is the guy to make the decision. We’re not dealing with Lou Gehrig here.

Reactions: Lurker
Who's responsibility is it to get kids in the strength and conditioning program and to "coach them up?"
IMO, things typically start to go downhill when a stubborn coach starts looking for players to scapegoat.

Agreed. I think we’ve seen this play out before all too often in football. Fulmer, Butch, Pruitt all started turning on players toward the end of their tenures.

I don’t get the “players don’t execute” excuse so many use. Ultimately, it comes down to the coach - you recruited them into your system. If they aren’t executing, it’s on you to make the changes necessary to ensure they execute the game plan. Whether that be more practice, S&C, benching, or sending them on their way to the portal….the buck stops at the coach. The fact we are in the same position we have been for many years in this system speaks volumes - hence why so many are at the very least questioning our staff and rightfully so.

Reactions: lostsheep
It's perhaps more complex than Barnes or others realize. - if Fulky has had covid a couple of times - his body may not be ready to perform at a high level. A few days down the road - he might return to his old self - not ready to write him off just because he is weak and slow to get back up to speed after Covid. It affects everyone differently.
amen

Understood, and I wasn’t attacking your thoughts on Fulky, as obviously he hasn’t been playing well.
My point is that I don’t think it’s a good look for a coach to call out players and say things such as “they need to get out of the way” if they aren’t producing.
Those conversations should be held between the coach and player, not coach and media.
Barnes isn’t the only successful coach who comments on players to the media.

Agreed. I think we’ve seen this play out before all too often in football. Fulmer, Butch, Pruitt all started turning on players toward the end of their tenures.

I don’t get the “players don’t execute” excuse so many use. Ultimately, it comes down to the coach - you recruited them into your system. If they aren’t executing, it’s on you to make the changes necessary to ensure they execute the game plan. Whether that be more practice, S&C, benching, or sending them on their way to the portal….the buck stops at the coach. The fact we are in the same position we have been for many years in this system speaks volumes - hence why so many are at the very least questioning our staff and rightfully so.
Fulmer’s canned comment was “we’ll have to review the film”. I don’t remember him calling out specific players any.

Geez coach. You have a bench full of players. Stop beating on a guy who's given his all to this program and develop the other guys.
Honestly, couldn’t you say this about almost every player on the team? Vescovi and Uros are our two scrappiest players and that ain’t saying much. This team has to find some toughness because they are kinda soft and upperclassmen like JJJ and Fulky have to step up their game if this is going to be a successful season.
I really feel like this team is TOO unselfish and there are a few guys who should not have the green light on every possession or at the very least, not until the ball has gone through Vescovi, Chandler and MAYBE ON.
IMO, Powell needs to start and stay in(defense be damned) because I feel like he is a rhythm player and needs to get into a flow to contribute.
JJJ kills us at times and plays way too small for his size.
In the right offense(dribble drive) Chandler and ZZ would excel.
BHH needs PT to develop...nuff said.
I just don’t feel like anyone has a defined role.
Some will laugh at me for saying this but I just Heard Coach Harper say this morning in the postgame, that sometimes you just gotta turn players loose and let them play(paraphrasing)
But I’m a guy that’s giving my insight from my couch, so what do I know?😜
GBO!!

CRB is the one that put the players on the floor if john fulkerson not giveing his all he can replace him. no need to put him under the bus.

That’s Barnes being Barnes. He doesn’t pull punches and I can respect that in today’s coddled world.
Our bigs have to fight for position and scrap in the low post. None of them do. Uros tries but he is very limited in what he can do.
You have to have some sort of inside and play, we all know that, Barnes knows that and the players know that.
It all comes down to who wants it and who is gonna step up and do it.
GBO!!

Reactions: Volflyfisher
This looks a lot like an under-performing coach throwing a player under the bus to detract from his own shortcomings.
Instead of bashing Fulky why doesn’t Barnes play Huntley Hatfield more and let Fulky rest up a few games until he gets his feel back again ! Also Oliver NH is a beast they needs more help down low with scoring and rebounds!

Reactions: Special Ed
Fulky has spent 3 years getting "his feel back." Let's abandon the Fulky "experiment" and move on to someone else.......he is brittle and frail and useless

Can we all admit that Barnes gets more out of 3 stars than he does 5’s.
As far as Fulky, he should’ve moved on after last season. I love the guy and all, but can you imagine dealing with Barnes for 6 years?!😂
The kid is probably worn out physically AND mentally.
GBO!!

I might be wrong, but aren't they trying to RS Aidoo, Mashack and the kid from Catholic?

Tamba, yes.

Mashack, no.

The case for a medical waiver for Aidoo was hurt by playing him versus USC-Upstate on 12/14 after skipping 4 games over the previous 2 weeks. It’s possible that he could have “aggravated” an injury (the BTO strategy) though which would help with a case to appeal for another year.

Medical waivers are denied as soon as a player logs ANY time in the second 50% of the regular season. Tennessee has played 14 of 30 games. After USC on Tuesday the door closes on medical appeals if there are any minutes (seconds) logged after USC. There is also a limit of participating in no more than 30% of the games, which isn’t sn issue for Jonas.

Last edited:
Fulmer’s canned comment was “we’ll have to review the film”. I don’t remember him calling out specific players any.

Against Georgia in 2001 he tossed the kicker right under the bus after the stupid short kick. Fulmer claimed he didn't call that and claimed the kicker made the decision on is own. Fulmer didn't know that they'd already interviewed Walls and he said "because Coach Fulmer told me to" when asked why he kicked it short there.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants

VN Store

Back