Anybody having a difficuilt time getting excited about UT football?

Watching a season of Volunteer football is kind of like watching an adult film.
You start out kind of interested, the interest picks up and you get more interested, then all your really interested, absolutely bonkers interested, then all of the sudden you aren't interested at all anymore...

Some movies are longer than others.
Perfect interpretation!

Hell, I haven't been excited about UT football in years. It's more a habit than a passion anymore.
Yep. I'm apathetic. It used to be a big deal for me, now it's something I turn on more or less for background noise. Being irrelevant nationally and even in the conference will do that I guess.

I'm 70 and I have lived through a lifetime of UT football. Loved the way UT played for Dickey. Pissed when he bolted for Florida, enjoyed his return as AD. A 27 year old Bill Battle, really???? Thought Majors was the answer but realistically, he never got there consistently. Some good wins but something about that 0-6 start one year. Soap opera of Fulmer taking over and the bitterness and division within the university which lingered for years. Definitely enjoyed the success we had during the AL/Ga down years which caused for sustained optimism (still couldn't beat UF). Fulmer won not from coaching acumen but better having talent which became painfully obvious in his later years. The subsequent hires were head scratching idiocy and the more the years passed, the deeper the kasim became between the years of relevance and the mediocre product UT fielded year in and year out. It's a long time to wait from the third/fourth week in October each year and I have seen so many games where Bama just stomped and toyed with UT. I do not know about you but that is a painful experience year in and year out. God helps those that help themselves. For those that don't, there's always a place on the sidelines for you with the current UT program.
with you 100 percent
we began following vols at same time
have live in tideland longer than tennesee and being 70 doesn't do #$$## to ease the suffering

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Boy I used to look forward to Saturdays to see the Big Orange play. Then something happened about 15 years ago when we fell into the twilight zone. At first I thought it was an aberration as I continued to get excited at just the thought of UT football. However, it quicly became obvious that those in charge of the athletic program were not making the inestment needed to bring in a proven winner to lead the program. Bargain basement hires of losing or unproven coaches became the norm and with it y my enthsiasm began to wain. As this mediocrity descended into even deeper levels of incopetency and the product put on the field matched the futility of the administration, I found it harder and harder to raise my expectations to the level of optimism. My thoughts were just give me something to hang my hat on. What is mind boggling is the length of time since UT has been relevant. I used to love the opportunity to got to the Bama game with rivals and see some great and competitive games. I have now witnessed so many drubbings at the hands of Alabama that I feel as if I have been run over by a Mack truck and those successes we had are nothing more than a distant memory. What is equally unbelievable was that no legitimate efforts were made to restore UT at the time when opportunities then existed. The only people making an investment in the program were the fans and they were continuously being disappointed. Eventually this conditioned behavior became the norm. It is heart breaking that those in power did nothing to prevent this from happening. UT, a place that on the surface has tradition, facilities, fan base, environment, amenities, etc second to none, is so flawed internally that the decisions that were made and the direction of the program became a joke resulting in one excuse after another having to be made. Unfortunately for UT, tomorrow never seems to come.
I blame Covid. It's just a weird year.

Over the past few years I’ve been more excited about basketball season than football season and I never thought that would happen. It has taken me a long time to accept it but we have become a basketball school and football is secondary until they can put a proven winner on the field. It’s honestly felt a lot less stressful having the lower expectations. I’m not saying that I like it this way but I have come to grips over it. This must be how Kentucky fans usually feel.

I’ve lost that loving feeling, whoa that loving feeling.
I’ve lost that loving feeling and now it’s gone, gone, gone, whoa, whoooooaaaa

If it says anything, I live in Fayetteville, AR, and I haven’t seen my beloved Vols play live since the Fulmer days due to distance. I am actually getting to go to the game this weekend, and I’m still finding it hard to get excited. I’m expecting a let down. So there’s that.

If it says anything, I live in Fayetteville, AR, and I haven’t seen my beloved Vols play live since the Fulmer days due to distance. I am actually getting to go to the game this weekend, and I’m still finding it hard to get excited. I’m expecting a let down. So there’s that.
Bring us a win!

I'm one of those 70 yr old's too. Started with Wyatt. Even went to HS with R Pickens! Class! So what we see now is not in the same league. This thread is excellent. This under performing, lackluster performance is unsettling. I don't think we're negavols, but the product on the field ain't up to standards.

Al Wilson needs to slap some of y'all upside the helmet.

Ask Trey Smith if he is having trouble getting excited about the Vols.

I'm not 70, only 65, and I've never not been fired up to see what the Vols are gonna do in their next game.
I'm in the same boat, looking forward to everytime the Vols play, usually regardless of the sport. Seems like we've got a bunch of fans that have given up on the team, wonder what else in life they've given up on when things were bad? Quitters never win that I'm certain of in sports.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I’ve not given up on Tennessee football, or any other UT sport, but sports in general. A lot bigger fish to fry nowadays. Too much going on in the world. Sad really. Used to be that sports was an escape, now it’s just another forum for those involved to spew ideology. I was a die hard fan whose week hinged on the Vols’ results. I doubt I’ll ever care much anymore.

VN Store

Back