Anybody having a difficuilt time getting excited about UT football?

Hacksaw11

Boy I used to look forward to Saturdays to see the Big Orange play. Then something happened about 15 years ago when we fell into the twilight zone. At first I thought it was an aberration as I continued to get excited at just the thought of UT football. However, it quicly became obvious that those in charge of the athletic program were not making the inestment needed to bring in a proven winner to lead the program. Bargain basement hires of losing or unproven coaches became the norm and with it y my enthsiasm began to wain. As this mediocrity descended into even deeper levels of incopetency and the product put on the field matched the futility of the administration, I found it harder and harder to raise my expectations to the level of optimism. My thoughts were just give me something to hang my hat on. What is mind boggling is the length of time since UT has been relevant. I used to love the opportunity to got to the Bama game with rivals and see some great and competitive games. I have now witnessed so many drubbings at the hands of Alabama that I feel as if I have been run over by a Mack truck and those successes we had are nothing more than a distant memory. What is equally unbelievable was that no legitimate efforts were made to restore UT at the time when opportunities then existed. The only people making an investment in the program were the fans and they were continuously being disappointed. Eventually this conditioned behavior became the norm. It is heart breaking that those in power did nothing to prevent this from happening. UT, a place that on the surface has tradition, facilities, fan base, environment, amenities, etc second to none, is so flawed internally that the decisions that were made and the direction of the program became a joke resulting in one excuse after another having to be made. Unfortunately for UT, tomorrow never seems to come.

I'm usually more of a "slow boil". I struggled to be excited during the Jones era knowing that no matter how much talent UT had... they were going to lose games they could have and should have won. I have not had a reason to be excited since Pruitt took over primarily because of QB play. I can get excited even with mistakes and miscues about a young developing team that is fun to watch. The O simply hasn't been "fun". The D hasn't been good enough to really get excited about them. The "brand" of football UT has played especially on O for the last 3 years... isn't all that "exciting"... mostly just frustrating.

This is coming from a guy who appreciates 3 yards and a cloud of dust when a team really executes it well. This team has been short on "big plays"... but not dominant either. Given a choice, the latter pumps me up as much as the former. We've seen neither.

The closest we've come is Vandy last year. UT's run game was "fun" in spite of poor QB play... but it just isn't easy getting "pumped" about beating up on the class runt.

35 losses against top 10 teams since 2006 I believe.

Hard to move the needle on the give a damn meter when your team is routinely getting blasted by quality teams.

Fulmer and the braintrust in charge in Knoxville know as long as they take care of business against lesser teams and at least give us fans hope that we will keep shelling out money and supporting the program though.

They apparently think they found their poster boy for doing just enough in Pruitt given they already gave him an extension.

Boy I used to look forward to Saturdays to see the Big Orange play. Then something happened about 15 years ago when we fell into the twilight zone. At first I thought it was an aberration as I continued to get excited at just the thought of UT football. However, it quicly became obvious that those in charge of the athletic program were not making the inestment needed to bring in a proven winner to lead the program. Bargain basement hires of losing or unproven coaches became the norm and with it y my enthsiasm began to wain. As this mediocrity descended into even deeper levels of incopetency and the product put on the field matched the futility of the administration, I found it harder and harder to raise my expectations to the level of optimism. My thoughts were just give me something to hang my hat on. What is mind boggling is the length of time since UT has been relevant. I used to love the opportunity to got to the Bama game with rivals and see some great and competitive games. I have now witnessed so many drubbings at the hands of Alabama that I feel as if I have been run over by a Mack truck and those successes we had are nothing more than a distant memory. What is equally unbelievable was that no legitimate efforts were made to restore UT at the time when opportunities then existed. The only people making an investment in the program were the fans and they were continuously being disappointed. Eventually this conditioned behavior became the norm. It is heart breaking that those in power did nothing to prevent this from happening. UT, a place that on the surface has tradition, facilities, fan base, environment, amenities, etc second to none, is so flawed internally that the decisions that were made and the direction of the program became a joke resulting in one excuse after another having to be made. Unfortunately for UT, tomorrow never seems to come.

Hell, I haven't been excited about UT football in years. It's more a habit than a passion anymore.

Boy I used to look forward to Saturdays to see the Big Orange play. Then something happened about 15 years ago when we fell into the twilight zone. At first I thought it was an aberration as I continued to get excited at just the thought of UT football. However, it quicly became obvious that those in charge of the athletic program were not making the investment needed to bring in a proven winner to lead the program. Bargain basement hires of losing or unproven coaches became the norm and with it y my enthsiasm began to wain. As this mediocrity descended into even deeper levels of incompetency and the product put on the field matched the futility of the administration, I found it harder and harder to raise my expectations to the level of optimism. My thoughts were just give me something to hang my hat on. What is mind boggling is the length of time since UT has been relevant. I used to love the opportunity to got to the Bama game with rivals and see some great and competitive games. I have now witnessed so many drubbings at the hands of Alabama that I feel as if I have been run over by a Mack truck and those successes we had are nothing more than a distant memory. What is equally unbelievable was that no legitimate efforts were made to restore UT at the time when opportunities then existed. The only people making an investment in the program were the fans and they were continuously being disappointed. Eventually this conditioned behavior became the norm. It is heart breaking that those in power did nothing to prevent this from happening. UT, a place that on the surface has tradition, facilities, fan base, environment, amenities, etc second to none, is so flawed internally that the decisions that were made and the direction of the program became a joke resulting in one excuse after another having to be made. Unfortunately for UT, tomorrow never seems to come.

I'm 70 and I have lived through a lifetime of UT football. Loved the way UT played for Dickey. Pissed when he bolted for Florida, enjoyed his return as AD. A 27 year old Bill Battle, really???? Thought Majors was the answer but realistically, he never got there consistently. Some good wins but something about that 0-6 start one year. Soap opera of Fulmer taking over and the bitterness and division within the university which lingered for years. Definitely enjoyed the success we had during the AL/Ga down years which caused for sustained optimism (still couldn't beat UF). Fulmer won not from coaching acumen but better having talent which became painfully obvious in his later years. The subsequent hires were head scratching idiocy and the more the years passed, the deeper the kasim became between the years of relevance and the mediocre product UT fielded year in and year out. It's a long time to wait from the third/fourth week in October each year and I have seen so many games where Bama just stomped and toyed with UT. I do not know about you but that is a painful experience year in and year out. God helps those that help themselves. For those that don't, there's always a place on the sidelines for you with the current UT program.

Watching a season of Volunteer football is kind of like watching an adult film.
You start out kind of interested, the interest picks up and you get more interested, then all your really interested, absolutely bonkers interested, then all of the sudden you aren't interested at all anymore...

Some movies are longer than others.

Reactions: HalfullVol and Caz
I’m about as excited about UT football as I would seeing a runaway train.

I go back to Bowden Wyatt coaching days......I've been through the ups and downs...highs and lows....good...average and bad.

The past several years and right now my give a sheet is at a all time low. There was a time after a loss I was still pi$$ed off on Tuesday....Now I just turn the channel to another game and enjoy watching good, well coached teams fight it out.

I was actually excited to start the season. I thought we were finally about to turn a corner and Pruitt was figuring out this whole head coach thing.

Foisting an unimproved JG out there had me worried to start the season. getting housed by UK had me fully pissed. It shouldn’t be this damn hard to hire a decent HC unless, of course, you’re UT. If Pittman beats is this Sat, UTAD should be sending Covid a thank you note and Edible Arrangement for justifying the 20k in the stands.

I’m about as excited about UT football as I would seeing a runaway train.

That actually made for a pretty exciting movie (Unstoppable) with Denzel...

Anyway... [[[ Bleak Mode On ]]] I'm nearly 70 and this year sucks. Tired of election, COVID and UT losing, as we all are. I remember being electrified beyond anything on fall Saturday's. I also recall the wife saying, "I just leave him alone if UT looses." This thread sums it up, so I won't be repetitive but the thrill is gone. On to Bingo, I suppose. [[[ Bleak Mode Off ]]]

That actually made for a pretty exciting movie (Unstoppable) with Denzel...

Anyway... [[[ Bleak Mode On ]]] I'm nearly 70 and this year sucks. Tired of election, COVID and UT losing, as we all are. I remember being electrified beyond anything on fall Saturday's. I also recall the wife saying, "I just leave him alone if UT looses." This thread sums it up, so I won't be repetitive but the thrill is gone. On to Bingo, I suppose. [[[ Bleak Mode Off ]]]
covid isnt going away and there is no way to contain it - people need to resume living - crowds need to return and the media needs to die

It definitely doesn't hurt like it used to. I have become callous and numb to it. It used to ruin my entire weekend. Now, I just turn it off at halftime and get my fall yard work done on Saturday. It also helps that my Chiefs are on top of the world.

VN Store

Back