Any tea leaf readers want to venture a guess on what happens next.

All I’m gonna say is this- if ncaa agreed to initial offer, then this two day long hearing would not have been necessary- and would not have occurred. If the ncaa penalty was only gonna be slightly more, then you wouldn’t see univ pres and Sankey throwing their weight around.
Hoping for best - only a few more scholarships- and preparing for worst.

now the players want to come to us and we don't have to buy them anymore!
giphy.gif

NIL working hard behind the scenes.

Ok, I’ll have a go. Im going to say in addition to schollies already lost, we sacrifice 3 per year for the next 3 years, a large fine, no bowl ban and Pruitt gets a 5 year show-cause dated back to date of firing from UT. And behind the scenes, we pay a reduced buy-out to Coach Beldar as part of a pre-arranged agreement to make this just go away. We will likely never know about the buy-out but the above scenario allows everyone to save some face. I have zero behind the scenes info but this could be plausible.

I hope we don’t lose more than one scholly per yr and the max being a two yr period. Three per year seems extreme.

Pruitt should receive a minimum of four years, with the show cause begging this season. I think TN settles if Pruitt goes down quietly and doesn’t try to place blame on TN admin. If he does, then don’t give him a dime.

I wonder if NC2A will give TN any advice regarding a possible settlement offer?

I think the public will know the buyout amount or “settlement” since TN is public university.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
For those closely watching the NCAA meetings, photos, and comments, please weigh in on what you think the Committee will decide.
The problem is the NCAA has let coaches who commit these violations and get the university in trouble. Has been able to leave and coach next year with most of the time, nothing happing to them.

Ftr, UT was charged with failure to monitor, not Lack of Institutional Control. The former means they weren’t watching closely enough to see the cheating. The latter means they saw it and did nothing and historically carries much stiffer punishment

Reactions: WillisWG
Also i think a huge fine and loss of 2 scholarships for the next three years will be the punishment because the failure to monitor will stick.

I don’t qualify to post because I ain’t closely watching this. Don’t really care what happens to Pruitt because it’s out of our control. I’ll care a lot, though, and loudly curse the NCAA in the halls of the nursing home here if he somehow gets a slap on the wrist and no show-cause penalty.

If these bozos return with ANY penalty against UT for this mess, I’ll encourage Donde, et al to tell the NCAA to stuff it, ignore them and then sue them into oblivion, no matter the cost. Do not settle, Donde. Period. Fight these incompetent swine til the end. The reputation of our university, our athletic program, our brand…it’s all on the line here. And we did everything right from the moment we learned of the stink. This means something.
In principle I agree with you BUT it could do more damage to the program having this drag out in court for years. Rival coaches already use the investigation against us in recruiting.

Ok, Ill have a go. Im going to say in addition to schollies already lost, we sacrifice 3 per year for the next 3 years, a large fine, no bowl ban and Pruitt gets a 5 year show-cause dated back to date of firing from UT. And behind the scenes, we pay a reduced buy-out to Coach Beldar as part of a pre-arranged agreement to make this just go away. We will likely never know about the buy-out but the above scenario allows everyone to save some face. I have zero behind the scenes info but this could be plausible.

I believe you are probably pretty close to the final decision outcome. I believe our firing of Pruitt will mitigate some of the penalty. I was thinking a 3-2-1 scholly reduction for 3 years and a big fine but you might be right because the NCAA overreacts to everything.

Honestly it’s complete BS for any punishment to come down on us. If I were TN, if the NCAA handed won ANY punishment I would sue. Let’s look at it. The people who were involved in this crap are gone. So you wanna punish the current staff and players for what someone else did? That’s some BS.

Personally I don’t see anything happening to us honestly. Not even scholarship reduction. But if it does, it really doesn’t matter with NIL now.

I believe you are probably pretty close to the final decision outcome. I believe our firing of Pruitt will mitigate some of the penalty. I was thinking a 3-2-1 scholly reduction for 3 years and a big fine but you might be right because the NCAA overreacts to everything.

No way. Wayyyy too harsh.

Death Penalty. And then they're going to have Jermaine Burton punch Donde Plowman in the mouth for flavor.

How many scholarships are we given for each recruiting class? I thought it was 25 but the transfer portal has created a mess
It changes per year. You can have no more than 85 scholarship players on the team. So if you can get 30 scholarships to reach that 85 then you can. The most I've seen the vols get in a years time was 28 scholarships a few years ago or so.

UT needs to tell the NCAA to take a long walk off a short pier. The NCAA won’t exist five years from now and it’s irresponsible to cower before them now.

Reactions: garyp194
Does everyone think this is all on Pruitt? Fulmer lived vicariously through him. You think he didn’t know or encourage him? Pruitt wouldn’t have pushed the issue to get his full buyout if he didn’t have a strong case.

Does everyone think this is all on Pruitt? Fulmer lived vicariously through him. You think he didn’t know or encourage him? Pruitt wouldn’t have pushed the issue to get his full buyout if he didn’t have a strong case.

Phil was let go during the same house cleaning as Beldar.

VN Store

Back