Any rumors on the teams’ mindset heading into next week?

Big Red is k-e-w-l!

usatsi_17259875.jpg

That mascot looks like it is expecting.

and this is why I think the portal rumors are overblown. Sure some of those kids will get drafted, but most will be on campus. Transfers also work both ways, I’m sure many kids still want to be a part of this.

I think chemistry has been an issue for this team all year. Some kids leaving would probably be a good thing.

The transfer portal is sure to breed chemistry problems in the locker room. Especially the plug and play transfers like Denton and Ahuna. You think the guys who were already at UT putting the work in and biding their time don’t resent being recruited over by a 4th or 5th year guy? Especially one that comes in from Bama? I know nothing of the current locker room but I guarantee that not all appreciate those 2 transfers. And to be honest, it doesn’t show much loyalty on the coaching staffs part. But winning is the name of the game so I guess they do what they need to do in order to win.

The transfer portal is sure to breed chemistry problems in the locker room. Especially the plug and play transfers like Denton and Ahuna. You think the guys who were already at UT putting the work in and biding their time don’t resent being recruited over by a 4th or 5th year guy? Especially one that comes in from Bama? I know nothing of the current locker room but I guarantee that not all appreciate those 2 transfers. And to be honest, it doesn’t show much loyalty on the coaching staffs part. But winning is the name of the game so I guess they do what they need to do in order to win.
With the quality of the classes Tony has signed, I’d say, nah. We good. That’s the way he built ‘21 and ‘22. Be the difference. Beisbol is a different sport. Trust yer depth…and relax.

This is a very odd approach that I'm grappling with understanding. It feels borderline SP. Tony's job is to win games. You expect him to not go after top recruits to fill gaps on the team, just because there are players on the existing team who have been around longer? There are ample examples the last few years of guys who put in the work and earned a spot (regardless of who transferred in). I.E. Ensley this year. Maybe it's because I was raised in the non- everyone gets a trophy generation, but I feel like if a guy wants a spot, he puts in the work and earns it. It shouldn't be given just because he's been on campus longer.

Just wanted to add this thread title really URKS me. It feels very "Tony is meeting with LSU and signing a contract in the basement of the Omaha Marriott hotel" on the eve of TN's CWS appearance vibes to me.

Will players transfer? Sure. They do in every sport and baseball is no different, but this makes it sound like there's a group of main guys sitting around plotting TN's early exit so they can get the hell out of dodge.

Just wanted to add this thread title really URKS me. It feels very "Tony is meeting with LSU and signing a contract in the basement of the Omaha Marriott hotel" on the eve of TN's CWS appearance vibes to me.

Will players transfer? Sure. They do in every sport and baseball is no different, but this makes it sound like there's a group of main guys sitting around plotting TN's early exit so they can get the hell out of dodge.
Yeah. And for reference, we have seen in other places similar rumor starters trying to imply that Danny White was leaving and also that Heupel was leaving. Barnes is staying, so the same types fahr him all the time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a very odd approach that I'm grappling with understanding. It feels borderline SP. Tony's job is to win games. You expect him to not go after top recruits to fill gaps on the team, just because there are players on the existing team who have been around longer? There are ample examples the last few years of guys who put in the work and earned a spot (regardless of who transferred in). I.E. Ensley this year. Maybe it's because I was raised in the non- everyone gets a trophy generation, but I feel like if a guy wants a spot, he puts in the work and earns it. It shouldn't be given just because he's been on campus longer.
It takes skill to manage the portal but I haven't noticed that CTV lacks skill. The problem cases seem to increase when a team is losing and disappear when they are winning. Imagine that.

Did you even read the post? It was all about chemistry in the locker room. Had nothing to do with winning and losing. I, in fact said, that coaches do what they need to do in order to win.

Do you think there is any resentment in the locker room towards Ahuna, Denton and Merritt from the guys who lost possible playing time because they transferred in? Answer that question honestly and you will get the whole premise of my post.

Addendum….do you think Denton and Ahuna came to UT to put in their time and earn a spot? Or were they pretty much guaranteed a spot in the line up?

Last edited:

A mope on another board tosses out stupidity. Then a mope from our board grabs it and runs back here to throw it out and chum the waters. Before you know it Tony V has a foot out the door and 3/4 of the roster are hitting the portal the second the season ends. That's the internet in a nutshell. Having said that I do think we see a lot of change with this starting lineup once the season concludes.....or at least I hope we do. Don't care for some of the body language I've seen this year. Whether that change comes from our recruiting class or the portal, I couldn't say. Hope it's from our recruits, but if Tony hits the portal again, I suspect/hope he's more in tune with finding guys who fit this program. Can't help but think we have a guy or three that aren't really good fits in Knoxville.

That's just law enforcement spreading disinformation, because a giraffe is the poor man's surveillance drone.

What I heard from a much more reliable source is that giraffes are insincere.

Obviously, you have no idea how much money it takes for me to feed my giraffe.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
A mope on another board tosses out stupidity. Then a mope from our board grabs it and runs back here to throw it out and chum the waters. Before you know it Tony V has a foot out the door and 3/4 of the roster are hitting the portal the second the season ends. That's the internet in a nutshell. Having said that I do think we see a lot of change with this starting lineup once the season concludes.....or at least I hope we do. Don't care for some of the body language I've seen this year. Whether that change comes from our recruiting class or the portal, I couldn't say. Hope it's from our recruits, but if Tony hits the portal again, I suspect/hope he's more in tune with finding guys who fit this program. Can't help but think we have a guy or three that aren't really good fits in Knoxville.
Guys are already jumping in the portal. A Tennessee player I personally know is already in. Very few people will recognize his name, and I won’t name him. I think he decided he was never going to get any playing time, and it was time to move on. Hopefully he will find a place where he can contribute more.

People who are graduating are testing the portal too. This week I got a call from a Big 12 coach inquiring about a former Owl (not a Tennessee player). They were checking out the player’s personality, work ethic, and being a good teammate. I also rounded up statistics and other info on the guy and passed it on.

Rumors abhor a vacuum.

For Tennessee fans, we're in this lull between SEC Tourney and CWS... football is done until late summer... recruiting is awaiting some announcements...

Gotta feed the voracious, giant Vol maw with something, even if it's...

ZestyGloriousDipper-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Guys are already jumping in the portal. A Tennessee player I personally know is already in. Very few people will recognize his name, and I won’t name him. I think he decided he was never going to get any playing time, and it was time to move on. Hopefully he will find a place where he can contribute more.

People who are graduating are testing the portal too. This week I got a call from a Big 12 coach inquiring about a former Owl (not a Tennessee player). They were checking out the player’s personality, work ethic, and being a good teammate. I also rounded up statistics and other info on the guy and passed it on.
I'll continue to think any successful program that's recruiting at a certain level will recruit over some guys. I see it a sign of healthy recruiting vs a program that's in turmoil.

According to D1 Baseball, 3 TN players have officially entered the portal: Notably, all 3 are pitchers.
Turner Swistak
Bradley Gagen
Dillon Orr

Reactions: BruisedOrange

VN Store

Back