Any of you remember the record we set on

JOEY'S ALL VOL !!!

Calling it like I see it
this day in 1985 ? Monday January 21st 1985 the whole Southeast was being hammered by a freezing cold front and nowhere more so than Knoxville TN. Knoxville recorded the lowest temperature in the continental United States that day at -24 degrees. The pipes in Greve Hall burst, even the pipes in the Sunsphere froze up and burst making it look like a glacier. The strip was just too far from Neyland Heights to even attempt the walk that day.

I have no idea if we had recruits on campus that day or not, but I can only imagine how that went if we did.

I remember it well. Was smart...went to Cas Walkers the day before it hit...loaded up on groceries...and spent 2 days getting to know really well a girl I’d been chasing...didn’t have any laundry to do that week.

thanks for reminding me!

I remember it well. Was smart...went to Cas Walkers the day before it hit...loaded up on groceries...and spent 2 days getting to know really well a girl I’d been chasing...didn’t have any laundry to do that week.

thanks for reminding me!

Did you go Brad Paisley on her and check her for ticks?

Reactions: TAF

thanks for reminding me!
Cas Walker..... now there is a name I ain't heard in decades!! wow....

Nobody stole from Cas Walker ! Seriously cracked me up.

Reactions: feathersax and TAF
in 85 my poop was still green....
Sound awful.
Blame it on global warming.
I have personally seen -9 degrees but -24 is a whole new level!!! WoW!!! That is nuts. Especially this far south.

I worked graveyard that night at Eastman. Indoors, thank goodness. Coal gas shut down about halfway through the night. They couldn't keep it thawed out. It seems like it stayed below freezing for a month. Sullivan County did no plowing then and used no salt. I was driving a 1977 Plymouth Volare station wagon with studded snow tires. It started right up (reduction gear starter on Chryslers then).

I was working construction at the Eastman on a pipe bridge about 50ft in the air. Was so cold it took all our energy just to fight the cold but thankfully I had a good boss who told us to come on down and get inside the quonset with a 440 volt heater. Played poker for 3 days on the clock as it never got up to zero

Reactions: norrislakevol
I too was working construction at Eastman. It was the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday, and I didn't realize it was that cold until I was driving in and heard the weather report on the radio. I was working in B-120 at the time and none of my crew showed up, so I was just looking around trying to find something to do. Up in the day, a gentleman in a suit walked up to me and introduced himself. He was probably in his 60s and was one of the biggest men I had ever seen. The conversation turned to football. He told me that he had played some in the pros for San Francisco in the 50s. Now it happens that I was born in San Francisco while my dad was stationed there in the army, and we only lived a block or so from Kezar Stadium, so he started telling me some of his experiences while living out there. I remember he was soft spoken and a seemed a pleasant sort of person. Somehow I had lived in this area since I was a baby and never had heard of Hal Miller (a local sports legend). The most amazing thing I remember was him telling me that he had left pro football to fight in Korea, then gotten married and had a baby around the time he got out of the military. He had to give up football because it didn't pay enough to raise a family.

Not specifically, but, was living in Huntsville, Alabama. I would guess we were dealing with ice everywhere.

I was five, so I don't have some of the glory stories that older people had with working, needing to go to classes. I do remember it though. Our house lost power, so my father gathered the entire family and lit a roaring fire (that he kept going for two days) and made us sleep in front of it. I learned to play Stratego during it. We had every blanket, sleeping bag, and whatever implement you could imagine in that living room. Dad also taught me a lesson with that. The ant and the grasshopper. He was prepared. This was before generators were so easily accessible.

The first time I ever got called for jury duty it involved a case where Cas Walker was the defendant. If I remember correctly, I think someone was suing him for slander. Of course me being a snot-nosed, 19-year-old punk I was quickly struck by his defense attorney. Something about jury of your peers maybe? I remember his attorney asking me if I had ever heard of Cas Walker. If you lived in Knoxville at that time you would have had to be a captive in someone’s basement your entire life not to know who he was.

I worked graveyard that night at Eastman. Indoors, thank goodness. Coal gas shut down about halfway through the night. They couldn't keep it thawed out. It seems like it stayed below freezing for a month. Sullivan County did no plowing then and used no salt. I was driving a 1977 Plymouth Volare station wagon with studded snow tires. It started right up (reduction gear starter on Chryslers then).

I remember when it shut down and when it started back it went off like a cannon. My dad was one of the lead engineers on that project. I still have a copy of some of the blueprints he had from it somewhere. Did the Volare have a 360 in it?

I remember we bundled up in sleeping bags in front if the wood burning stove downstairs and slept there. Ended up doing something similar in 93 too

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
I was a jr at Franklin Co High School. We missed 24 of the first 30 days of school at the beginning of the 2nd semester.....it was great.

I too was working construction at Eastman. It was the Monday after Super Bowl Sunday, and I didn't realize it was that cold until I was driving in and heard the weather report on the radio. I was working in B-120 at the time and none of my crew showed up, so I was just looking around trying to find something to do. Up in the day, a gentleman in a suit walked up to me and introduced himself. He was probably in his 60s and was one of the biggest men I had ever seen. The conversation turned to football. He told me that he had played some in the pros for San Francisco in the 50s. Now it happens that I was born in San Francisco while my dad was stationed there in the army, and we only lived a block or so from Kezar Stadium, so he started telling me some of his experiences while living out there. I remember he was soft spoken and a seemed a pleasant sort of person. Somehow I had lived in this area since I was a baby and never had heard of Hal Miller (a local sports legend). The most amazing thing I remember was him telling me that he had left pro football to fight in Korea, then gotten married and had a baby around the time he got out of the military. He had to give up football because it didn't pay enough to raise a family.

Now that's a cool story Bro. Seriously.

VN Store

Back