Any of you remember the record we set on

this day in 1985 ? Monday January 21st 1985 the whole Southeast was being hammered by a freezing cold front and nowhere more so than Knoxville TN. Knoxville recorded the lowest temperature in the continental United States that day at -24 degrees. The pipes in Greve Hall burst, even the pipes in the Sunsphere froze up and burst making it look like a glacier. The strip was just too far from Neyland Heights to even attempt the walk that day.
I’m afraid I don’t remember, I was only 1 year old at this time....

I’m the father of only daughters, for what happened during those 48 hours...

God is good...I’m not always so...

LOL. Isn't it funny how when you have a daughter, you pray to God she doesn't do some of the things you did with women when you were her age, but you know she will run into guys even worse than you. Yikes!

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm a vague memory I have of watching a Cas Walker commercial and him proudly proclaiming "You can't beat my meat".
Not really, but hate I missed that. I did have the Tennessee Midnight Rambler say something similar to me on the phone in the Saturday night wee-hours one time when I called him up to request a song.

I remember it well. Was smart...went to Cas Walkers the day before it hit...loaded up on groceries...and spent 2 days getting to know really well a girl I’d been chasing...didn’t have any laundry to do that week.

thanks for reminding me!
1579752651227.gif

yes and no. Yes, I remember that weekend but no, I was not there in Knoxville. That is the same weekend in which Ronald Reagan was being inaugurated for his second term and the POTSB was again invited to march in his parade. While Knoxville experienced record low temps, so did DC. It was so cold that when we practiced for the parade in The Pentagon parking lot, my trombone slide froze. In the end, they canceled the parade due to the temps. The herded all of the bands into the Capitol Center and Reagan came and spoke to us. TVs did interviews with a bunch of people and the high schools kids were crying "we raised all this money and we didnt get to march". The interviewed some of us Pride members "whoo hoo. Free road trip party".

When I got back to Knoxville my roommates told me about the temps. Since school was out they bought a keg and just put it out on the porch. No barrel or ice needed.

Just moved into our new home "out in the country" - power was out for 4 days and the whole family - dad, mom, 4 kids lived beside the fireplace. Heated water on a gas range to bathe. Terrible? Nope... brought us together and we still talk about that storm.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
yes and no. Yes, I remember that weekend but no, I was not there in Knoxville. That is the same weekend in which Ronald Reagan was being inaugurated for his second term and the POTSB was again invited to march in his parade. While Knoxville experienced record low temps, so did DC. It was so cold that when we practiced for the parade in The Pentagon parking lot, my trombone slide froze. In the end, they canceled the parade due to the temps. The herded all of the bands into the Capitol Center and Reagan came and spoke to us. TVs did interviews with a bunch of people and the high schools kids were crying "we raised all this money and we didnt get to march". The interviewed some of us Pride members "whoo hoo. Free road trip party".

Both of my sisters were in the POTSB then and were a little disappointed the parade was canceled. I was working for the Navy at that time in Annapolis so my wife and I picked them up one evening and brought them to a new townhouse we had recently purchased. It was around -5 deg F that day and I remember the outside air unit for our heat pump froze up like a solid block of ice. Thankfully the “emergency” heat strips kept us warm enough and the power never went out.

Reactions: GreveHaller
I remember that day well!..I was living at Shelbourne towers and me and some of my idiot friends made a bet nobody could run around the building wearing only shorts, shoes and a tee shirt....Nobody won lol....I made it about 20 feet out the door and ran back in..Man it was COOOLLDDD!!!!

Cas Walker..... now there is a name I ain't heard in decades!! wow....
Mean old SOB for sure, My aunt and uncle had a place right next to his and when we was little kids we would go over to his property and get a couple of those green apples off his trees and he would come out yelling at us and cut his hound dogs loose on us lol...One of my friends told me Cas came out of his house once and grabbed a stick and said he was gonna whoop him if he ever came back on his property lol...Oh those were the days.

I went to Claxton elementary. Grew up on Piedmont st. We used to walk up to the Cas Walker on Clinton Avenue, or Chapman highway I believe. 640 wasn't there. We used to leave there and walk over to Kay's ice cream with my grandmother. Those were the days. Oh and we had a Smokey Mountain market not to far from there that my brother and I would go get their famous hot dogs(seemed like the were 10 for a dollar back then, lol)

Mean old SOB for sure, My aunt and uncle had a place right next to his and when we was little kids we would go over to his property and get a couple of those green apples off his trees and he would come out yelling at us and cut his hound dogs loose on us lol...One of my friends told me Cas came out of his house once and grabbed a stick and said he was gonna whoop him if he ever came back on his property lol...Oh those were the days.
I dont doubt that one iota........ pretty sure his was very close to his dollars..

Reactions: VOLnMiami
I lived in Baton Rouge then. It got to about 19 there but many water pipes froze and later burst. Causeway on l-10 to New Orleans was frozen over and closed for a couple days.

I went to Claxton elementary. Grew up on Piedmont st. We used to walk up to the Cas Walker on Clinton Avenue, or Chapman highway I believe. 640 wasn't there. We used to leave there and walk over to Kay's ice cream with my grandmother. Those were the days. Oh and we had a Smokey Mountain market not to far from there that my brother and I would go get their famous hot dogs(seemed like the were 10 for a dollar back then, lol)

That market on the other side of Henley Street Bridge? Best hotdogs ever! I think in my day they were 3 or 4 for a dollar.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
That market on the other side of Henley Street Bridge? Best hotdogs ever! I think in my day they were 3 or 4 for a dollar.

"Give me a ROOSTER...and CHASE him through the GARDEN!"

Famous Chicken Sandwich with lettuce, tomato and onion...GOOD EATIN'!

"Smokey Mountain Market, YEAH!"

I remember it well. I was in 8th grade and we missed so much school that year that we had to make it up on Saturdays. We lost power for a few days as well and huddled around the fireplace.

Cas Walker..... now there is a name I ain't heard in decades!! wow....
I was a staff attorney for the city of Knoxville in the early 70s and had to go to city directors meetings where Walker was a constant pain in the rear. I remember one exasperated director commenting that what the city needed was a dozen good funerals. He had ole Cas in mind.

Was in 7th grade at the time, living in the Atomic city. I don't believe OR was as cold as Knoxville, but still freezing.

VN Store

Back