Any JJJ updates?

Helluva game by the 5 star freshman tonight vs Vandy....couldn’t possibly ask for more, God knows no other freshman 5 star in the country is playing any better than JJJ...

View attachment 262259

You're right, man. Barnes should tear his scholly up in front of him after the game. How dare a kid struggle to adjust during his freshman year!!

Reactions: feathersax
JJJ killed us inside 5 minutes, after not really contributing much the other 35. I don't see what CRB sees in him....would rather see Gaines or Johnson and let Bowden spell Vescovi at PG. If he is playing poorly due to injury then all the more reason to sit him..

Reactions: waynechismforthre
JJJ killed us inside 5 minutes, after not really contributing much the other 35. I don't see what CRB sees in him....would rather see Gaines or Johnson and let Bowden spell Vescovi at PG. If he is playing poorly due to injury then all the more reason to sit him..

He is still injured and was apparently sick with the flu as well. But that just adds to the question of why are we playing him. I don't think he is a terrible player, but definitely was a part of why we lost today.

I think he wouldn't have seen as many minutes if Vescovi had avoided foul trouble.

James can be a very good all around player one day. But he has more competition walking on campus next season for playing time. At this point until he proves otherwise, while having potential, he is more of a complementary player. I doubt he starts in the backcourt next year. Keon Johnson could take his starting spot away from him at SF.

He needs to be more aggressive, There have been many times this year he could either take the ball to the rack or pull the trigger on a 3 and he doesn't

Reactions: Lankykong
The kid is an overrated recruit and he isn't all that good of a player. Why is it so hard for some fans to grasp this. This doesn't mean he can't develop into a good player but it isn't automatic that he will. By the way, most freshman aren't really all that good.

His mechanics are bad, shooting wise way too flat and no sense of urgency, def not an alpha. Kid has been asked to do a lot as a Frosh, but he will be around for a few more years. He will develop under Barnes and coaches-just might be a couple years before we see it.

Wow, KB, that was classy, 2nd game back, didn't look completely healthy or was pressing, to me, tonight
4 points, 1 assist, 6 turnovers today vs Auburn. The #22 player coming out of high school last year is completely lost and not even really competing. Definitely living up to that 5 star billing.

Reactions: berryvol
The kid is an overrated recruit and he isn't all that good of a player. Why is it so hard for some fans to grasp this. This doesn't mean he can't develop into a good player but it isn't automatic that he will. By the way, most freshman aren't really all that good.
Most freshmen who are rated a top 25 player are usually pretty good.....some are even great. JJJ, with the exception of a 3-4 game streak in January where it looked like he was really improving, has a long, long way to go to get to pretty good. Vescovi is light years better than him.

Most freshmen who are rated a top 25 player are usually pretty good.....some are even great. JJJ, with the exception of a 3-4 game streak in January where it looked like he was really improving, has a long, long way to go to get to pretty good. Vescovi is light years better than him.

Vescovi doesn't have a groin/hip injury or the flu.

JJJ is probably a mid to low tier 4 star most years. He benefitted greatly from this being a weak class. I see him being an important contributor in the years to come, but he is borderline unplayable in hostile road environments. Total meltdowns @KU and now @auburn.

Killed us down the stretch today, just really really bad basketball in crucial situations. Im amazed that a kid can be a McD AA and not know how to close out a shooter.

I thought he was pressing at first, but there are some basic fundamentals like not closing out shooters, leaving his feet with nowhere to go with the ball, that just make me think he was mis-evaluated.

Killed us down the stretch today, just really really bad basketball in crucial situations. Im amazed that a kid can be a McD AA and not know how to close out a shooter.

I thought he was pressing at first, but there are some basic fundamentals like not closing out shooters, leaving his feet with nowhere to go with the ball, that just make me think he was mis-evaluated.
You can seen some talent there, he’ll certainly improve as he gets more experience and more player development from Barnes. But there’s literally nothing about him or his game that he’s shown to date that says he was correctly evaluated as a 5 star....not his athletic ability, not his mentality, not his shooting stroke, not his court awareness, not anything. I think he can be a good player for Tennessee, especially with the top level players coming in next year, since it’s clear he prefers to defer/share the ball, almost to a fault. But he’s got a long, long way to go.

Reactions: waynechismforthre
We got any basket makers comin. Or we just gonna be a ball handlin show like the Trotters?

I worry about that. Bailey sounds like a scorer, but I kind of think he'll be our PG. Springer sounds like another pass first, unselfish type. Johnson's game sounds like his defense is his best skill. Maybe Walker can "score the ball". At least Springer, Walker, Bailey, Vescovi, the posts, and JJJ will have 7 months of off-season to sort it out.

You can seen some talent there, he’ll certainly improve as he gets more experience and more player development from Barnes. But there’s literally nothing about him or his game that he’s shown to date that says he was correctly evaluated as a 5 star....not his athletic ability, not his mentality, not his shooting stroke, not his court awareness, not anything. I think he can be a good player for Tennessee, especially with the top level players coming in next year, since it’s clear he prefers to defer/share the ball, almost to a fault. But he’s got a long, long way to go.
What makes you think they are top level players?

VN Store

Back