Any better than Dooley?

It isn't exactly hindsight to have known a coach with a losing record in the WAC wouldn't be successful here. Sort of the same deal with Jancek and Martinez.

Reactions: 2 people
dooley-meme.png

Reactions: 4 people
Dooley took the job when Knoxville was a dumpster fire and no one else would. I really wanted them to go get Gus Malzahn that year but who knows he may have needed a few more years and It may have ended just as bad, but he seems to be working out in auburn.

I'm just thankful we have Butch now.
I'm pretty sure I'm thankful. Only time will tell.

I'll bite, what other coach was available 10 days before signing day?

Dooley couldn't win, but he left Butch with much more talent than Kiffen did.

Don't believe me? Notice that we kind of play football in the second half now.

Many things are the same though. Mainly that our D line isn't great and our secondary is slow and generally awful. That's why we run 3rd and Chavis press coverage on the outside every play....and by press I mean 10 yards off the line.

Show some patience and discipline you bunch of whiners. Toughen up. Suck it up.

Yeah, there were those of us who said the same thing the day he was hired. And, for 3 years, a huge number of posters on this board who insulted anyone who ever said it.

But overall, it amazes me that guy was able to be here for 3 years and actually get a contract extension and huge buyout, with no qualifications and no demonstrable ability. It's why I always laugh when dumb posters come on here and say that UT fans are so impatient and demanding. They gave Dooley 3 years. They are as complacent as any fanbase I've ever seen.

I guess you missed 1981 when Tennessee began the season with a 44-0 loss to Georgia and followed that up with a 43-7 loss to USC. A 30-6 loss to Pittsburgh later followed and this was during Majors' 5th season...or how about 1986 when Tennessee took 56-28 beatdown to an average Alabama team and also lost at home to Army? And who could forget 1988 and our 52-24 loss at home to Washington St as well as 38-6 to Auburn? Yeah, you remember the Majors' era really well buddy! I just wonder what the point of threads like this is and what some of want us to do? You don't like the job Butch Jones is doing through his first ten games? Well, that is too bad because we're not taking on our third buyout in the last five years when it's such a pain to fill the job anyway. If you were to put a top ten wish list of coaches together I bet none of them would accept the job and probably half of them would have already turned it down once or twice (or in Gruden's case three times)...Butch wanted the job and never claimed to be a miracle worker but he is in the process of upgrading the talent level.

Sorry man, it's the 21st century. Coaches make more than six figures. Ticket prices have risen considerably. No one gets 5-6 years to turn a program around anymore.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch is WAY better than Fooley. Is he the guy to take us to the top? Idk time will tell. Dooley had a pretty good QB in Bray and studs at the WR position and butch has nothing. I'm not so sure about the guys from UGA though. They probably can't coach but I'm just going to trust butch for the time being.

I guess you missed 1981 when Tennessee began the season with a 44-0 loss to Georgia and followed that up with a 43-7 loss to USC. A 30-6 loss to Pittsburgh later followed and this was during Majors' 5th season...or how about 1986 when Tennessee took 56-28 beatdown to an average Alabama team and also lost at home to Army? And who could forget 1988 and our 52-24 loss at home to Washington St as well as 38-6 to Auburn? Yeah, you remember the Majors' era really well buddy! I just wonder what the point of threads like this is and what some of want us to do? You don't like the job Butch Jones is doing through his first ten games? Well, that is too bad because we're not taking on our third buyout in the last five years when it's such a pain to fill the job anyway. If you were to put a top ten wish list of coaches together I bet none of them would accept the job and probably half of them would have already turned it down once or twice (or in Gruden's case three times)...Butch wanted the job and never claimed to be a miracle worker but he is in the process of upgrading the talent level.

On my phone but when I get home, I'm going to like this...and then create 15 different screen names like Lebanonvol and like it some more...GREAT POST :)
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Yeah, there were those of us who said the same thing the day he was hired. And, for 3 years, a huge number of posters on this board who insulted anyone who ever said it.

But overall, it amazes me that guy was able to be here for 3 years and actually get a contract extension and huge buyout, with no qualifications and no demonstrable ability. It's why I always laugh when dumb posters come on here and say that UT fans are so impatient and demanding. They gave Dooley 3 years. They are as complacent as any fanbase I've ever seen.
Are you one of those guys that wants Butch fired at the end of the season?

You guys do understand Thig is why we are recruiting so well, not the Cincy Staff!

I guess that's why all of these recruits continually talk about how much they love CBJ. Thig is telling them that. I also suppose that's why the current players continually talk about what a great coach CBJ is. Because Thig is telling them to say that. I guess Thig is also telling all of the VFLs that have come back to campus to say how much they appreciate CBJ. Yep... I see your point. It's all Thig that is driving the momentum over at UT.:)

Really dumb question. Not only are you wrong on the talent statement but you must like Dooley's moral wins than you do actually beating SCjr.

There is a scene in A Few Good Men where Pvt Downey is on the stand being cross examined. He was asked how he could be in the room and hear the code red order if he was at that time running back from his post... he stammers and mumbles something about "you see the pick up private....Hal? HAL?!?" Finally Dawson yells at him "PRIVATE! Answer the Captain's question".

That's how I envision many here when faced with the results of Jones' first season. "But you see the talent, uh, um,... uh speed... um, uh Dooley... Hal? HAL?!?"

Perhaps I was wrong in wanting Fulmer fired considering the years that have followed.

There I said it.

Sometimes karma comes back to bite your behind...

I liked Phil and would never take anything away from what he did for the program. But maybe it was time for him to move on. I think given a couple of years he might have had the program back on track, but two years is a long time in SEC ball as we've very well seen.

Firing was a bit drastic. Perhaps asking him to retire behind the scenes and having a say in his replacement would have been better. Reasonably certain he wouldn't have picked the coach whose name we will not speak. Or the one that followed him.

VN Store

Back