Antone Davis Claims Butch Jones' Wife Spread False Info

The attacks were vicious and incessant during the off season after a 9-4 performance with a bowl win.

The attacks were even more vicious and incessant after a last second loss to Florida on a desperation play.

So you can pretend this only happened after the horrible performances but that isn't the case. After the mess FCDD left behind this fanbase should have been celebrating a 9-4 season with a good recruiting class coming in.

But so many were focused on any real or perceived shortcomings by anyone on the staff that they refused to see any positives about the program.

Are you serious?

Let's break down that glorious 9-4 record.

We beat Florida AND Georgia in yet another season when the SEC East is down. This should have guaranteed a trip to Atlanta where most likely we would have fallen to bama. Yet, even if that happened, everyone could have argued that we made undeniable progress and were possibly one step from making the playoffs. This would have called for celebration but it obviously didn't happen. Why? Jones found a way to blow it all by finding yet another way to not only lose to South Carolina but also Vandy again. That is what got the justified murmurs of discontent started. If those two losses had not occurred, Jones' leash might have been a little longer but you couple them with this year's results and it's bye bye Butch.

People like you refuse to see last season for what it really was, a colossal failure. Sure, the overall record looks nice when you don't break it down but when you factor in that two of the losses were to inferior teams with everything on the line, people rightfully get upset.

These are the facts.
I expect you to ignore them and make excuses but it won't negate them.

Reactions: 9 people
If this is true. Then it's easy to see why Lyle was starting to lose control of his teams. They were losing respect for him.

Report: Antone Davis Claims Butch Jones' Wife Spread False Info | RTI

In an email to John Currie in late October, Davis claimed that working under Butch Jones “has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had” and said that he wasn’t leaving Tennessee because he wanted to but rather “I am leaving because I must.”

An email to Reid Sigmon, Tennessee’s executive associate athletic director, from November 2nd was obtained by the Knoxville News Sentinel. And in the email, Davis claims that Barb Jones had been telling current Vol players that he had been fired rather than stepping down.

“I want you to know that I have been contacted by three different people that have stated that Barb Jones, Butch’s wife, has told some parent(s) of our current-student athletes that I was fired because I was leaking information to the media,” Davis wrote to Sigmon. “This is absolutely untrue and it is exactly the type of thing I feared would happen.”

I'm so glad we've moved on from Lyle. Let's get back the respect that the Vol name deserves.

One thing I don't understand about Davis...the hand writing was on the wall wrt to Lyle. Lyle was almost certain to be fired. Why not hunker down and try to survive a couple more months?

My guess is that he wanted to add some fuel to fire.

Or I guess I could see wanting to make a point before Butch got fired.

Still...he could have held on.

So you know the order of events how? And you know what is true and what is not true? If I have learned anything over the past 6 months - most of what is published is never completely true and most of it ends up being lies.

A friend of a friend of a friend's wife's second cousin who knows someone who works in the UTAD said ...

Read every word, they are all important. I'll give you a hint.......it starts with POSSIBLY.

Reactions: 1 person
Two sides to every story. Not saying Davis is wrong, just wish people would cast less stones before thinking a little.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I'll bet you anything that Barb was the one on the grassy knoll too.

Man I cannot wait to hear what else the Jones' effed up...

You guys are pathetic

Why would Antone Davis bring this to light now? No one believes he was fired, the Jones are gone and this is a non issue if true.

They are not a part of the Volnation anymore, leave them be.

Don't know. It's extremely unprofessional and inappropriate. Don't give a dam if he is a VFL. It only brings more negative energy around the program, and Gdammit, we don't it need right now.

I know most fans have negative thoughts about Derek Dooley, but he could have aired some really bad shat that went on with the school and administration as far as boosters are concerned when he was head coach. He's probably the most unfairly maligned coach in college football history. He was a professional about it though, so we didn't hear it

Reactions: 3 people
Antone could so bum rush them down the grocery aisle. He’d never be bullied again. Lol

If this is true. Then it's easy to see why Lyle was starting to lose control of his teams. They were losing respect for him.

Report: Antone Davis Claims Butch Jones' Wife Spread False Info | RTI

In an email to John Currie in late October, Davis claimed that working under Butch Jones “has been one of the worst experiences I have ever had” and said that he wasn’t leaving Tennessee because he wanted to but rather “I am leaving because I must.”

An email to Reid Sigmon, Tennessee’s executive associate athletic director, from November 2nd was obtained by the Knoxville News Sentinel. And in the email, Davis claims that Barb Jones had been telling current Vol players that he had been fired rather than stepping down.

“I want you to know that I have been contacted by three different people that have stated that Barb Jones, Butch’s wife, has told some parent(s) of our current-student athletes that I was fired because I was leaking information to the media,” Davis wrote to Sigmon. “This is absolutely untrue and it is exactly the type of thing I feared would happen.”

I'm so glad we've moved on from Lyle. Let's get back the respect that the Vol name deserves.

It was well known in media circles that Davis supplied injury and other information to several local media members. He had been warned about it previously.

Part of the "hostile work environment" that he alleged was being removed from situations that had previously been leaked to media. That move was approved by the previous AD. The leaks stopped. You do the math.

I realize it's unpopular to "side" with Jones, Currie or Hart on something, but the truth is the truth. If any of those three wanted to defend themselves in this situation, they would have plenty of ammo to do so. They have chosen to just move on. I wish Davis would as well.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm gonna play devils advocate here. I don't know what happened but a wife is gonna back her guy, social media, whatever. We are in the new age of dirty laundry. My guess is Davis was a disgruntled employee.

One thing I don't understand about Davis...the hand writing was on the wall wrt to Lyle. Lyle was almost certain to be fired. Why not hunker down and try to survive a couple more months?

My guess is that he wanted to add some fuel to fire.

Or I guess I could see wanting to make a point before Butch got fired.

Still...he could have held on.

Because he knew his position was not safe regardless of what happened to Butch.

I'm gonna play devils advocate here. I don't know what happened but a wife is gonna back her guy, social media, whatever. We are in the new age of dirty laundry. My guess is Davis was a disgruntled employee.

I would be pretty disgruntled too if those things are true. And they probably are,

Not strange. Mays was apparently close to the former staff. Mays disenchantment with Tennessee started with the UGA game. He heard the boos. He lives in Knoxville - no way to distance himself from the "bad side" of the media and fan base. He has seen and experienced first hand how vicious this fan base can be not only against coaches by also against players.

He appears to want to go to a place where there is positive energy around the team. He knows that with the first bump in the road at UT, it all will start again.

It is post like this that will create apathy for the fan base. We had a coach that for the first time in 84 years of SEC history that lost every game and it is the fans’ fault. The kid said he wanted to play for championships, not losers.

It is post like this that will create apathy for the fan base. We had a coach that for the first time in 84 years of SEC history that lost every game and it is the fans’ fault. The kid said he wanted to play for championships, not losers.

Exactly.
Its really this simple.

- Jones had cemented himself as used car salesman and not a football coach. The pitch was up and the product he produced was evident.

- Cade has plenty of viable options that are on more steady ground at this point.

- Had Jones been able to prove what some saw early on as false, Cade would be a Vol.

- UT has made a change. Cade is more comfortable with the knowns (Clemson, UGA) instead of the unknown (Pruitt)

Blaming the media and fanbase is a cop out for the diehard Jonesers.

Reactions: 2 people
Just stop with the slander. Both, Antoine Davis and Jones are no longer employed at Tennessee.

Davis burned his bridges with UT with the way he handled himself after he left. He is probably now regretting that and trying to find a way to blame someone else. So let's pick on the wife.

He is not the innocent person you all want to think he is.

I guess- I do not fully understand your post. Are you saying Jones's wife never said these things, and in fact he is lying? Or, are you saying, so what! if she put out lies, he should have kept his mouth shut and let it go?:whistling:

VN Store

Back