Ansley and staff met with The Chief

You are right for the most part, but when u look at the top defenses around the country they all have elite talent. This is why they all recruit elite players. If u dnt have elite players on defense, u are in serious trouble in the SEC. With that being said coaching does matter with or without elite talent.
I agree, but how many coaches with elite or very good talent don't win as often as it seems like they "should?" As you said, in CFB coaching matters, perhaps not as much as recruiting, but it does matter.

You’re exactly right. Both of those bad teams at the end of Fulmer’s tenure had terrible offenses but good defenses; especially 2005.
And I don’t believe those defenses were stacked with elite talent. Actually I’m fairly certain that there were few NFL players on those squads but the defense was stingy. So this idea that he needed to have elite talent is not correct imo.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Isn’t that the case for 99.9% of coaches?

I will say there were rebuilding years where the defense would struggle early but always seemed to figure it out and get better by mid season. Following years were always better too.

Spurrier had him figured out though.

The bend but don't break still works, but the way offenses play no days bending just gives them down hill momentum and when they get in the red zone they don't just pound it in, they will throw on 1st thru 4th downs. This day and time a short field (end zone) with quick receivers, and the QB's playing these days you just need to not give in at all the expect to and many times will score. You can't bend, not on their 10 yrd line not anywhere . The best defenses are just as aggressive as the offenses.

Reactions: SpookyAction
I wouldn't mind seeing chief back with the program in some capacity. Who on earth ever thought Phillip Fulmer would be back and now he's over it all. I wouldn't want chief in charge totally of defense, that Georgia game I was at where Travis Stephenson had nearly 200 rushing yards and Kelly qb for Georgia I think drove them from the fifty in to win, after a horrible planned pooch kick off that landed at the fifty. What a meltdown, total. My facts may be a bit off but you get the jest of it. Third and Chavis.

David Greene 2001 I think. The reason the game was so meaningful my cousin ha just lost his son months prior to game so I wanted to do something nice so I traded two good tickets for three together and wound up in a sea of the biggest red neck fans I have ever seen. One Georgia fan, it must have been the time crack became popular because he was running that mouth and off the wall. CRAZED.

So did a lot of our opponents. Spurrier made a career off Chavis. Franconi and and the dude at UGA were not far behind.

Yeah, A Chavis defense was the only one Spurrier had success against, good observation. If Spurrier could have schemed against other DC's Florida may have won a few games, oh wait.....

IMO CHavis is at his best when looking at the big picture. Every season he started with a great defense, and he always had a great game plan. I think he made a lot of stars by placing guys in a great position to succeed, then scheming to protect any weakness. I'll always rather have him be on our side than the other.

I agree, but how many coaches with elite or very good talent don't win as often as it seems like they "should?" As you said, in CFB coaching matters, perhaps not as much as recruiting, but it does matter.
Its kinda hard to tell which coaches arent getting the most out of their talent when Clemson and Bama win the natty every year. U might think you have elite talent until they walk out to the field with nothing but future NFL stars. I cant really think of any DC who puts an elite defense on the field without elite players especially in our conference.

Its kinda hard to tell which coaches arent getting the most out of their talent when Clemson and Bama win the natty every year. U might think you have elite talent until they walk out to the field with nothing but future NFL stars. I cant really think of any DC who puts an elite defense on the field without elite players especially in our conference.
There are all sorts of programs who don't get the most out of their talent - just check out the schools that were in/around the top 10 nationally in recruiting for the last 5 years. Georgia, USC, and Michigan come to mind. Jimbo's last few recruiting classes at FSU badly underachieved. LSU underachieved until last year. Tennessee badly underachieved under Butch. CFB, in my opinion, is littered with coaches who are good recruiters and motivators but don't bring much to the table beyond that. Peter principle. They aren't great tactically, aren't great developers, aren't great at putting together and managing their coaching staffs.

I think that's because most CFB coaches' core competency is recruiting and motivating, not Xs and Os coaching and player development. Not that there's anything wrong with that; actually you'd expect it to be that way because of how important recruiting is in college athletics. But it seems like most of the top coaches have good Xs and Os chops as well, or at the very least they are good at having people on staff who are good at that.

Dabo and Coach O I think are two prominent examples of guys who actually aren't great tactical coaches and wouldn't wow you with their knowledge of the game, but they've done a great job of putting together a coaching staff filled with guys who are great at that.

Why is running w/ a banana? You'll put your eye out kid!

Respect him greatly. But as a fan his "bend but don't break" was frustrating. I remember him opening the NC game by having our DL shift at the last second while the QB was audibling. This was apparently a novel concept back in the day. Barely allowed FL State to score at all.

Hail to The Chief!

Liked for using "audibling" in a sentence.

There are all sorts of programs who don't get the most out of their talent - just check out the schools that were in/around the top 10 nationally in recruiting for the last 5 years. Georgia, USC, and Michigan come to mind. Jimbo's last few recruiting classes at FSU badly underachieved. LSU underachieved until last year. Tennessee badly underachieved under Butch. CFB, in my opinion, is littered with coaches who are good recruiters and motivators but don't bring much to the table beyond that. Peter principle. They aren't great tactically, aren't great developers, aren't great at putting together and managing their coaching staffs.

I think that's because most CFB coaches' core competency is recruiting and motivating, not Xs and Os coaching and player development. Not that there's anything wrong with that; actually you'd expect it to be that way because of how important recruiting is in college athletics. But it seems like most of the top coaches have good Xs and Os chops as well, or at the very least they are good at having people on staff who are good at that.

Dabo and Coach O I think are two prominent examples of guys who actually aren't great tactical coaches and wouldn't wow you with their knowledge of the game, but they've done a great job of putting together a coaching staff filled with guys who are great at that.
Bingo you hit the nail on the head.Both O and Dabo are great recruiters and people managers.Both had sense enough to hire coaches that were good x and o coaches.

Reactions: StarRaider

VN Store

Back