Anonymous SEC Coaches Article

Let’s see…a western division coach trolling Tennessee. Pat, can I buy a vowel…how about an “I”?

In the unlikely event that guy is still in Oxford when we play again, I hope we hang 70 on them.

Lol did you read the whole article? Just saying. Making something out of nothing. The offense was easy and stated by Heupel as being so because they had to install it so fast.

What Heupel also said last year was the offense we saw wasn’t even half of our plays because they didn’t have time to install all of it. Especially not if they wanted to be successful right away.

The article specifically mentions that “ it’ll be nice to see what wrinkles this coaching staff comes up with”

Lol

I do not claim to be a football scheme expert, but the comment that UT's offense is really easy to breakdown is very interesting to me. Heupel's Missouri offenses put up good offensive numbers with less than stellar talent in two seasons in the SEC. So, the SEC had that film. He was then the HC at UCF for three seasons. So, the SEC had that film. And yet, the offense was pretty darn good last year.

I get that the pacing may be a bit gimmicky, like Malzahn's offense, but Heupel took one of the worst offenses in the country the preceding season and turned it into a very good offense in one season. I expect that SEC defenses will adjust to the pace and scheme some, just like what happened with Malzahn's scheme, and so Heupel is going to have to continue to evolve offensively if he wants to be an elite HC. Still, the first year returns were very good on offense.
It's simple by design. We don't use a bunch of different concepts. That doesn't make it easy to stop. Tempo plays a big factor in that, which is why when people say we need to use more clock, they don't understand how much that changes the scheme/philosophy.

Some of these quotes are laughable.

Kentucky

They're also competing in a division that gets a little better each year. You can always look at their games against Tennessee, South Carolina and Missouri as a good measurement. All three of those programs are improving season by season."

Tennessee

Any time Tennessee does well, even if it's clearly because of a one-off situation, there's an immediate pressure to ramp back up to the Phillip Fulmer national title days."

"They're pretty easy to break down because that offense is pretty easy to break down:

"Overall, the defense is average at best for that division, but that's a luxury Josh Heupel's system offers because it can hide them a little bit."

"They're missing a really dynamic playmaker right now. Finding that at receiver with one of the signees could be huge for them."

SEC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2022

Thanks for merging.

Last edited:
Reactions: feathersax
This is one of those comments where Year 2 will prove it right or wrong. If we’re so easy to break down (and ultimately defend against) then all the coaches have a year of tape and we should be no better, if not worse this year. However, if we improve our wins or have a substantial upset that comment will not age well at all. I’m betting on the latter. Sadly, we won’t know who to troll next year when we get 9 or 10 wins.

This is one of those comments where Year 2 will prove it right or wrong. If we’re so easy to break down (and ultimately defend against) then all the coaches have a year of tape and we should be no better, if not worse this year. However, if we improve our wins or have a substantial upset that comment will not age well at all. I’m betting on the latter. Sadly, we won’t know who to troll next year when we get 9 or 10 wins.
All I know is Tennessee looked unstoppable at times on offense. I’ve been wondering if coaches have had time to break down the offense better this year or if UT will be just as successful. Ready for the season

Reactions: VolByBirth
Like many things in life, the theory of how to stop it is easy. In practice, it isn’t so easy.
A good analogy is that it is easy to know how to stop a grizzly bear charge, you just poke it in the eyes 😂

Reactions: Bearkat_Vol
My guess is Stoops.

Seems unlikely from this statement:

"Overall, the defense is average at best for that division, but that's a luxury Josh Heupel's system offers because it can hide them a little bit."

If it was a coach from the East division one would expect him to say this division.

Lol did you read the whole article? Just saying. Making something out of nothing. The offense was easy and stated by Heupel as being so because they had to install it so fast.

What Heupel also said last year was the offense we saw wasn’t even half of our plays because they didn’t have time to install all of it. Especially not if they wanted to be successful right away.

The article specifically mentions that “ it’ll be nice to see what wrinkles this coaching staff comes up with”

Lol
Plus, a coach that didn’t modify and change up the play book every offseason wouldn’t last very long as a coach. Do people really think Heup just sits around all spring and summer doing nothing?

Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
All I know is Tennessee looked unstoppable at times on offense. I’ve been wondering if coaches have had time to break down the offense better this year or if UT will be just as successful. Ready for the season
And teams didn’t get better at Stopping it as the season went on. Teams like UK and Purdue had eight or nine weeks of game film to review but still couldn’t stop it.

Some of these quotes are laughable.

Kentucky

They're also competing in a division that gets a little better each year. You can always look at their games against Tennessee, South Carolina and Missouri as a good measurement. All three of those programs are improving season by season."

Tennessee

Any time Tennessee does well, even if it's clearly because of a one-off situation, there's an immediate pressure to ramp back up to the Phillip Fulmer national title days."

"They're pretty easy to break down because that offense is pretty easy to break down:

"They're missing a really dynamic playmaker right now. Finding that at receiver with one of the signees could be huge for them."

SEC Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2022

Thanks for merging.

I guess that SOB didn’t see Tillman LY.

If it was a coach from the East division one would expect him to say this division.
My take was those quotes came from different people. Is that wrong?

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
And teams didn’t get better at Stopping it as the season went on. Teams like UK and Purdue had eight or nine weeks of game film to review but still couldn’t stop it.
Yea they just kept throwing bombs on UK. That was probably the most entertaining back and forth game last year. Both teams kept scoring. UK would take all the time off the clock and score just for UT to throw a bomb over the top in two or three plays

Despite losing Taylor and Butler on defense I think our defense takes a huge leap in year 2. We’ve quietly amassed serious depth and it sounds like everyone is in top shape and hungry. Also sounds like our team speed on both sides of the ball has increased significantly

I actually bought the magazine for a work trip (I try to support CFB Magazines because I used to enjoy reading them going into the season). The comment is unusual but the magazine seems to be high on Tennessee. There were some other Anonymous coach entries that were controversial (although Tennessee had the worse one among SEC teams).

Keep in mind it just says SEC Coaches, not SEC HEAD Coaches. These comments could come from the co-Special Teams coach at Missouri for all we know.

Keep in mind it just says SEC Coaches, not SEC HEAD Coaches. These comments could come from the co-Special Teams coach at Missouri for all we know.

My point was that whoever said it was from the Western division gong by the wording....."that division" rather than "this division".

VN Store

Back