Anonymous SEC Coaches Article

If the article quoted the source correctly it came from a Western Division coach.

To me this is the more significant quote: "Give them credit — they've got an identity for the first time in years, and the scheme has kept them in games against teams with way more talent, especially at places where it matters most in this league, like the line of scrimmage."

I do not claim to be a football scheme expert, but the comment that UT's offense is really easy to breakdown is very interesting to me. Heupel's Missouri offenses put up good offensive numbers with less than stellar talent in two seasons in the SEC. So, the SEC had that film. He was then the HC at UCF for three seasons. So, the SEC had that film. And yet, the offense was pretty darn good last year.

I get that the pacing may be a bit gimmicky, like Malzahn's offense, but Heupel took one of the worst offenses in the country the preceding season and turned it into a very good offense in one season. I expect that SEC defenses will adjust to the pace and scheme some, just like what happened with Malzahn's scheme, and so Heupel is going to have to continue to evolve offensively if he wants to be an elite HC. Still, the first year returns were very good on offense.

Shane Beamer seems like a genuinely good guy. That said, I hope South Carolina gets pounded into the dirt this season. The media and apparently opposing coaches are in love with them.

In his first season they have all made me so sick of hearing “ Beamer Ball “ that I can’t watch one of their games if we aren’t playing them . Announcers should have a BB quota and be stabbed with rusty spoons if they use more than their allotment. 😂

I do not claim to be a football scheme expert, but the comment that UT's offense is really easy to breakdown is very interesting to me. Heupel's Missouri offenses put up good offensive numbers with less than stellar talent in two seasons in the SEC. So, the SEC had that film. He was then the HC at UCF for three seasons. So, the SEC had that film. And yet, the offense was pretty darn good last year.

I get that the pacing may be a bit gimmicky, like Malzahn's offense, but Heupel took one of the worst offenses in the country the preceding season and turned it into a very good offense in one season. I expect that SEC defenses will adjust to the pace and scheme some, just like what happened with Malzahn's scheme, and so Heupel is going to have to continue to evolve offensively if he wants to be an elite HC. Still, the first year returns were very good on offense.

I agree with most of this but at this point in time I don't consider any offense gimmicky. Had this been 2004 sure. But even then, running the ball multiple time and throwing a play action pass is a gimmick to try to catch the opposing teams players out of position. The talent disparity between the 4-6 teams that make the playoffs every year and the field is probably as far off as it's ever been. Georgia, bama, Clemson and Ohio state could trot out an entire 2nd team offense and defense and be more talented (atleast by recruiting rankings) than almost every teams starters

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

We will see. There were definitely times (UGA and FL) the offense was smothered. There may be some smoke here, or it could be BS. We will see this year.

The more opposing coaches praise a team in these anonymous surveys usually the worse the team actually is. The fact that coaches are critical should be viewed as a positive. Look at what they wrote for vandy and mizzou. In 2012 one of these anonymous surveys was praising dooley in his last year and saying how we just need to give him more time.

I love when these articles come out and everyone argues over which head coach said this or that. FYI...these are assistant coaches doing the talking.

Reactions: PA Vol
Yeah, and it's pretty easy to solve a Rubik's cube. But, since it's only made up of 26 "cubes", I am sure that Heupel has more than 26 plays!!!!

Probably would be less forthcoming with opinions if that was the case. Easier for us to sit up on the moral high ground when we have nothing to lose.
Then don’t do the interviews. If I know I can’t handle the fallout of something I don’t do it.

Reactions: igotworms

VN Store

Back