Announcers on Sat night

The side line announcers I never have a problem with that are female. Besides the sounding knowledgeable, it was the tone of her voice that I didn't like. It was like listening to NPR for football. lol

Mowins and Vitale are the PBPs that I dread the most. There are probably better female announcers than her but she is there because she is a woman and ESPN has to have her to placate the cancel mobs. Vitale is just overly annoying and talks about everything but the game. I hate that he has cancer and wish him well for that, but just have to mute the audio when he is on.

Honestly I thought she did a good job, and was thinking how impressed I was at her part of the broadcast.

Reactions: FïreBall
She knows football and knew the teams and strategy better than the analyst. I still found the duo to be extremely grating.

Quickly muted the TV and synced up UT’s radio broadcast with the game on TV. Much, much, much, much, much better viewing experience.

I just do Vol Network and know 5 seconds ahead of time what's going to happen on the TV. Bob never gets the yardage right, but he's usually within 5 yds. Beats the heck out of the TV announcers. You know ESPN hates us so we rate 3rd tier folks.

While we are on the subject, The VOL network is no better. Sometimes I thank they are pulling against the home team and Pat Ryan this dude is terrible!

Yes!!! Pat Ryan is terrible these days. Enjoyed him when he was with the Titans back in the day (He's got something!!!!), but he has gotten so slow and boring now. Priest would at least inject some excitement and homer-ism. I thought they should extend an olive branch to some former Vols to take turns at the color gig this year. I think Heath Shuler, J. Swain, R. Foster, etc would have been much better than what we have now. That would have made me interested in listening. As it stands now, I would rather listen to ANYBODY but Bob and Pat. Heck, throw a freaking Brinks truck in to get Peyton be a color analyst for one game. You want to talk about blow out ratings for the Vol Network, bring in some of these guys to inject a little life back into that booth.

Reactions: Give_Him_6!
I just do Vol Network and know 5 seconds ahead of time what's going to happen on the TV. Bob never gets the yardage right, but he's usually within 5 yds. Beats the heck out of the TV announcers. You know ESPN hates us so we rate 3rd tier folks.

Pause your TV until the broadcast is synced with the play. Usually takes two or three tries to get it timed up just right, but once you have it…you’re all set.

Reactions: Vo13 and usagary
She also got confused several times and didn't know what she was talking about
I muted most of the game. Unfortunately she is just a token ESPN uses to pretend how diverse they are. She should be calling events like disc golf or field hockey.

I’m convinced that ESPN takes every opportunity to get in a dig at UT- however, espn2 and espnU will usually have the 2nd and 3rd string announcers and analysts. Mowins usually does girls softball (you think football is bad, you oughta hear her gush over some of the softball players- makes ya wonder), and I mute her then, as well. Roy Philpott is pretty bad, too. I’d imagine it’s hard to work up some chemistry between a PxP and analyst unless they do games together often (i.e. Franklin and Gottfried, Mike Patrick with just about anybody, Musbgerger and Parseghian)

If you can't stand a woman announcer, you may wanna ask some difficult questions of yourself.

Yes, she was bad. But not because she's a woman. And Kirk Morrison was much worse.
She actually did a good job and doesn’t appear to be biased for one team. Her tone of voice is irritating but otherwise she is Ok. Better than Danielson and others who go over the top in their praise for any team playing Tennessee.

Last edited:
When I speak to myself, I usually agree with myself, soooooo, nah!

I have my opinion and you have yours and thats ok, I'm good with that.

So, IMHO, MOST men speak football like it's a second language(except, obviously, Kirk Morrison) that's just my reason for my preference. I assume it's because most have been there, done that.

This is (I think) the first time I've ever posted on here so take it easy please.

You lurked for seven years (!), and this is the cause you rallied to:

.. I just really can't stand a woman announcer, period! ...

LOL. Dooley, Pruitt, Champions of Life, Guarantano, 3 ADs, a cheating scandal, Trey Smith playing around blood clots, Covid, a loss to Georgia State, another loss to Kentucky where a coach was fired at halftime....but it was Beth Mowins that was too much for you?

Last edited:
I thought Mowins was fine. Not egocentric, did not pontificate, accurately described the game, and threw her partner a couple lifelines. She looked for ways to channel enthusiasm to the fans, and pounced on the unusual field time difference very quickly. I don't think she can help her voice, which obviously is not a deep male one. But I thought she was professional and effective in all objective ways.

And she did not make her gender a part of the broadcast, unlike (apparently) much of the fanbase.

If you can't stand a woman announcer, you may wanna ask some difficult questions of yourself.

Yes, she was bad. But not because she's a woman. And Kirk Morrison was much worse.

I got news for you. The sexes are different. If I prefer a man's voice then that's my preference. The fact that she didn't know what she was talking about is another issue.

If I prefer John Facenda's voice doing NFL Films over Beth Mowins, there's nothing wrong with that

I don't mind a female sports broadcaster. What does bother me, is the appearance of having to have one who has a deeper voice than many men, as a means to overlook the fact we're listening to a female.

VN Store

Back