Announcers on Sat night

kayjay

KA-CHOOOW
Forgive me if it's mentioned somewhere else but, BETH MOWINS "play by play" makes me want to jab pencils in my ears :mad:. I just really can't stand a woman announcer, period! Kirk Morrison wasn't much better. We obviously got the bottom of the barrel Saturday night.

Forgive me if it's mentioned somewhere else but, BETH MOWINS "play by play" makes me want to jab pencils in my ears :mad:. I just really can't stand a woman announcer, period! Kirk Morrison wasn't much better. We obviously got the bottom of the barrel Saturday night.

Damn you, I didn't want to know her name. Keeps the hate in check.

I don't find her as objectionable as Gary. For Gary, I have one of these.

CA87DAC9-054F-467E-BC0E-D7F59CEB1D32.jpeg

The commentating was certainly a head scratcher that game. The guy of the two seemed to be genuinely annoyed when things went our way.

And at the end of the game, what was that dude talking about lol. He was suggesting kicking the field goal from the 50, and kept calling that 4th and 10 by KY “decision time.” What was there, like 25 seconds left?

Then he said “If KY doesn’t convert this, they give Tennessee the ball back with 3 timeouts.” If they didn’t convert the game was over.

The only thing I could figure out was that he was confused about who had the lead.

Last edited:
Oh, for pete's sake. Obviously they're not the best. The best people are off covering ranked team matchups. But you guys hate the best also. FWIW. It's just not that interesting.

I thought it was quite a good game. They did a serviceable job most of the night. They certainly had an intellectual meltdown on that 4th and 10 at the end, but that's okay. It wouldn't be easy to jabber constantly all night and not say something dumb somewhere in all that.

Oh, for pete's sake. Obviously they're not the best. The best people are off covering ranked team matchups. But you guys hate the best also. FWIW. I thought it was quite a good game. They did a serviceable job most of the night.

Hm, I wonder if the networks are happy with serviceable for a Saturday night, 7PM prime time game? Not?

It’s an effect if there being a ton of televised games. Good chance of getting meh announcers.

I figured it would be bad when Morrison wouldn’t shut up about our wr catching the ball with a knee on the ground. Yea, the refs missed that. So instead of 3rd and 10 it was 3rd and 9 because he was tackled almost immediately. Ultimately the missed call didn’t matter. You caught something the ref missed good job. It’s not worth bringing up constantly because it wasn’t significant at all.

If you can't stand a woman announcer, you may wanna ask some difficult questions of yourself.

Yes, she was bad. But not because she's a woman. And Kirk Morrison was much worse.

Mr. Peach would change the channel or mute it when she got to be too much. Same thing when she'd broadcast basketball or softball..

It’s an effect if there being a ton of televised games. Good chance of getting meh announcers.

I figured it would be bad when Morrison wouldn’t shut up about our wr catching the ball with a knee on the ground. Yea, the refs missed that. So instead of 3rd and 10 it was 3rd and 9 because he was tackled almost immediately. Ultimately the missed call didn’t matter. You caught something the ref missed good job. It’s not worth bringing up constantly because it wasn’t significant at all.

Yep. Actually, it was even less important than that, since the knee down play happened on 1st down. Made it 2nd and a long 7 instead of 2nd and 9. Then we hit a long TD to Velus Jones, rendering it completely meaningless.

Reactions: jim43
Mowins gets a ton of hate for some reason. I don't have a huge problem with her. She tries hard, and there are worse play-by-play announcers. The analyst next to her was absolutely abysmal and brutal. He was lost as last year's Easter eggs all night. If that is your job and you want to be good at it, shouldn't you put in a little work beforehand? Watch a little film...read some articles...DO YOUR JOB!!!!! It's like he just rolled out of bed and said..."You know what, I think I'll go call the UT/UK game tonight." I don't mind if you are lesser talented. I mind greatly if you are lesser prepared. I think Dawn D is one of the best sideline reporters there is and to get paired with that bunch was a slap in the face to her in my opinion.

If you can't stand a woman announcer, you may wanna ask some difficult questions of yourself.

Yes, she was bad. But not because she's a woman. And Kirk Morrison was much worse.
Well said! She even tried to help him in the 4th quarter when he was advocating for a field goal and kept talking to himself out loud, with "this is a tough one, I have to think about this." Heck she even gave him the play - throw it to their fast wide receiver that had over 150 yards.

So the analyst of the team, he was awful. His football IQ was about a 3, though he wanted everyone to think it was up around a 9. He very frequently misunderstood what just happened. I mean, even my 82 year old mother said once or twice, "that's not what happened, is it?" after he described the previous play. And his brain aneurysm toward the end of the game, where he thought there was a key tactical decision to be made that just wasn't there, that was a head scratcher. The guy simply wasn't very good.

But Beth, I like her. I think she does a good job with the play-by-play. I don't hear her often, but every time I do, she's painting an accurate picture of what's happening on the field, getting the players' names right, helping out her analyst side kick when he clearly needs rescuing. I think she's a real pro.

In fact, somewhere in the middle of the game, maybe at halftime, I found myself appreciating how she has very quietly and professionally had a good career calling football games. She doesn't make her job some feminist cause, she doesn't play up being a very small minority in a vastly man-dominated career path, she just does her job and does it well.

But yeah, you wanna hate on a performance, hate on the analyst. He did abysmally.

When I speak to myself, I usually agree with myself, soooooo, nah!

I have my opinion and you have yours and thats ok, I'm good with that.

So, IMHO, MOST men speak football like it's a second language(except, obviously, Kirk Morrison) that's just my reason for my preference. I assume it's because most have been there, done that.

This is (I think) the first time I've ever posted on here so take it easy please.

So the analyst of the team, he was awful. His football IQ was about a 3, though he wanted everyone to think it was up around a 9. He very frequently misunderstood what just happened. I mean, even my 82 year old mother said once or twice, "that's not what happened, is it?" after he described the previous play. And his brain aneurysm toward the end of the game, where he thought there was a key tactical decision to be made that just wasn't there, that was a head scratcher. The guy simply wasn't very good.

But Beth, I like her. I think she does a good job with the play-by-play. I don't hear her often, but every time I do, she's painting an accurate picture of what's happening on the field, getting the players' names right, helping out her analyst side kick when he clearly needs rescuing. I think she's a real pro.

In fact, somewhere in the middle of the game, maybe at halftime, I found myself appreciating how she has very quietly and professionally had a good career calling football games. She doesn't make her job some feminist cause, she doesn't play up being a very small minority in a vastly man-dominated career path, she just does her job and does it well.

But yeah, you wanna hate on a performance, hate on the analyst. He did abysmally.

100% agree. I think Beth catches grief from her voice and not the words coming out of her mouth. I agree that she paints an accurate picture and does a good job with play-by-play. If I'm going to critique her, it would be her over-enunciating every single syllable. Other than that she is solid. There are some pretty horrendous play-by-play guys out there that are brutal to listen to all game.

The commentating was certainly a head scratcher that game. The guy of the two seemed to be genuinely annoyed when things went our way.

And at the end of the game, what was that dude talking about lol. He was suggesting kicking the field goal from the 50, and kept calling that 4th and 10 by KY “decision time.” What was there, like 25 seconds left?

Then he said “If KY doesn’t convert this, they give Tennessee the ball back with 3 timeouts.”If they didn’t convert the game was over.

The only thing I could figure out was that he was confused about who had the lead.
Hahaha don't forget when we caught a pass for a 3 yard gain he kept complaining about his knee being down......You would have thought we broke that for a TD the way he was whining about it. As for Beth, the only thing I couldn't stand was that voice.

I don't mind Mowins and didn't know people dislike her so much. The color commentary guy was amongst the worst I've ever heard though. It felt like his last job was calling UK's intermural ultimate Frisbee league.

They were horrible. I actually muted them and just watched. She must have photos......

I've never liked her. As soon as I turned on the broadcast I knew we drew the short straw and ESPN didn't consider our game worthy. She usually does the directional school games and schools you've never heard of. I don't care to ever get her again. This is a strike against affirmative action

VN Store

Back