Andy Staples: "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans."

Voltopia

Score fast, score hard, no mercy.
Paul Finebaum asked Andy Staples what he would say to Tennessee fans about the state of Tennessee football. Something like "Tennessee is basically irrelevant to the conversation these days, so what is the message Tennessee gives to the fans in Knoxville now?"

Staples basically said (also paraphrased somewhat) that - "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans, who've come to term with what Nebraska is now. Nebraska fans would be happy now just being Wisconsin. That's reality. You win some games, you occasionally compete for the Big 10 title. Tennessee fans need to learn that same lesson. You can't compete for national titles every year at Tennessee. You're not Alabama, you're not LSU. You never will be. Every now and then you will compete for an SEC East title (note: that's not a real thing, Andy), and every so often you may in the mix for a national title. But you won't do it every year, and that's okay. It's not like the 1990s. The days of Tennessee being a major player are over."

Seriously, SCREW this GARBAGE. THAT is the sort of mentality that makes you a Nebraska. "Aw shucks we're just lucky to be playing good this year" horsecrap. I wonder if they said the same garbage about Alabama after Mike Price exploded in scandal and Mike Shula flopped into oblivion. I'll save you the Google searches - they did. Sports journalists used to write about how Alabama was irrelevant, particularly when the NCAA bashed their heads in for the textbook stuff. But here we are 15 years later and these fat flapping gasbags are running their mouths about how Alabama is one of a kind and Tennessee "trying to be Alabama" simply won't work, and they need to be content being a Nebraska or being third in the SEC East division.

Never believe these morons. Never back down. Never stop aiming to be the best. I long for the day when Tennessee can print out every page containing all the garbage these idiots spewed and cram it down their throats until they choke on it.

Paul Finebaum asked Andy Staples what he would say to Tennessee fans about the state of Tennessee football. Something like "Tennessee is basically irrelevant to the conversation these days, so what is the message Tennessee gives to the fans in Knoxville now?"

Staples basically said (also paraphrased somewhat) that - "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans, who've come to term with what Nebraska is now. Nebraska fans would be happy now just being Wisconsin. That's reality. You win some games, you occasionally compete for the Big 10 title. Tennessee fans need to learn that same lesson. You can't compete for national titles every year at Tennessee. You're not Alabama, you're not LSU. You never will be. Every now and then you will compete for an SEC East title (note: that's not a real thing, Andy), and every so often you may in the mix for a national title. But you won't do it every year, and that's okay. It's not like the 1990s. The days of Tennessee being a major player are over."

Seriously, SCREW this GARBAGE. THAT is the sort of mentality that makes you a Nebraska. "Aw shucks we're just lucky to be playing good this year" horsecrap. I wonder if they said the same garbage about Alabama after Mike Price exploded in scandal and Mike Shula flopped into oblivion. I'll save you the Google searches - they did. Sports journalists used to write about how Alabama was irrelevant, particularly when the NCAA bashed their heads in for the textbook stuff. But here we are 15 years later and these fat flapping gasbags are running their mouths about how Alabama is one of a kind and Tennessee "trying to be Alabama" simply won't work, and they need to be content being a Nebraska or being third in the SEC East division.

Never believe these morons. Never back down. Never stop aiming to be the best. I long for the day when Tennessee can print out every page containing all the garbage these idiots spewed and cram it down their throats until they choke on it.
Eff Andy Staples

Yes... and some idiot was saying the same thing about Bama, USCw, and others who've had great runs before they hired the "right guy".

No. UT fans don't need to learn from Nebraska fans. The closest "good" recruiting pool to Lincoln is Dallas.... about 600 miles away. There's more talent within 200 miles of K'ville than 1000 miles from Lincoln.

First things first... UT needs to have competent coaching... that looks competent to recruits. UT has and invests all the resources needed to win. NOTHING less should be accepted ever.

He isn’t lying though we have been garbage for the most part since 2008 and nine losing seasons since 2005. Hopefully our new AD can turn that around and we can get some much needed stability. NCAA probation is gonna hurt though.

Reactions: Toujours Pret
Alabama went 15+ years when they weren’t a national contender also in the 90s-2000s. It’s about hiring the right people. They weren’t doing it and they weren’t competing very well. Then they got it right.

LSU went something like 5-6 straight years with losing seasons. Then they got it right, same guy as Bama hired. Now, they may be coming back to the pack. Their sanctions could easily be worse than Tennessee’s when all is over.

Reactions: esarmstrong

The AD hire today says otherwise, go f yourself Andy

Believe what you want but that was essentially the "verdict" by some writers when Bama had Shula and the NCAA breathing down their necks.

I don’t agree with the assessment.

But, there is a difference between being mediocre for 8 years with a couple of good years sprinkled in and being terrible for a decade and a half.

The problem with a lot of the comparisons to other programs that are often made is that either (a) they weren’t nearly as bad as what Tennessee has been or (b) they weren’t as bad as long.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Alabama went 15+ years when they weren’t a national contender also in the 90s-2000s. It’s about hiring the right people. They weren’t doing it and they weren’t competing very well. Then they got it right.

LSU went something like 5-6 straight years with losing seasons. Then they got it right, same guy as Bama hired. Now, they may be coming back to the pack. Their sanctions could easily be worse than Tennessee’s when all is over.

I thought LSU had a stellar Fall season and O kept his stellar staff intact
My LSU bud corrected me

Alabama did not go 15+ years. Where do you all get this from?

VN Store

Back