Andy Staples: "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans."

So you do accept mediocrity.... and you are resigned to that being more or less permanent. Again, the only real difference between you and others is that you might be bitter about it while they're not.
I'll try again, for some reason.
If we go 6-6 for the next 30 years, will you admit to being mediocre? Will you be ok with it?
It's reasonable to answer yes to the 1st question and no to the 2nd.
My entire point is that for many, if you answer yes to the 1st question, you're answering yes to the 2nd question.
Those people live in fantasy land like we're still some top 10 program and it shouldn't take much to being a NC again. They act like "but we're Tenn!", as if that means anything to anyone under 35
What is Tenn? Tenn is a terrible program that the last several years has been a laughing stock. I just turned 30. I don't even remember 98. I can remember TWO semi-good seasons because I can only really remember 2003 on. It has nothing to do with being "bitter". It's called understanding reality.
I really have no idea how you're having a hard time grasping what I'm saying.

So you do accept mediocrity.... and you are resigned to that being more or less permanent. Again, the only real difference between you and others is that you might be bitter about it while they're not.
I'll also note I'm NOT one advocating for hiring an ok coach like Malzahn or Herman, who got fired at better programs than ours because they expect more. So, I'm telling you that we're a mediocre program AND also not being ok with it by hiring an 8 or 9 win ceiling coach.

Paul Finebaum asked Andy Staples what he would say to Tennessee fans about the state of Tennessee football. Something like "Tennessee is basically irrelevant to the conversation these days, so what is the message Tennessee gives to the fans in Knoxville now?"

Staples basically said (also paraphrased somewhat) that - "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans, who've come to term with what Nebraska is now. Nebraska fans would be happy now just being Wisconsin. That's reality. You win some games, you occasionally compete for the Big 10 title. Tennessee fans need to learn that same lesson. You can't compete for national titles every year at Tennessee. You're not Alabama, you're not LSU. You never will be. Every now and then you will compete for an SEC East title (note: that's not a real thing, Andy), and every so often you may in the mix for a national title. But you won't do it every year, and that's okay. It's not like the 1990s. The days of Tennessee being a major player are over."

Seriously, SCREW this GARBAGE. THAT is the sort of mentality that makes you a Nebraska. "Aw shucks we're just lucky to be playing good this year" horsecrap. I wonder if they said the same garbage about Alabama after Mike Price exploded in scandal and Mike Shula flopped into oblivion. I'll save you the Google searches - they did. Sports journalists used to write about how Alabama was irrelevant, particularly when the NCAA bashed their heads in for the textbook stuff. But here we are 15 years later and these fat flapping gasbags are running their mouths about how Alabama is one of a kind and Tennessee "trying to be Alabama" simply won't work, and they need to be content being a Nebraska or being third in the SEC East division.

Never believe these morons. Never back down. Never stop aiming to be the best. I long for the day when Tennessee can print out every page containing all the garbage these idiots spewed and cram it down their throats until they choke on it.
Wow, this was an interesting comparison. We just hired Nebraska’s floundering coach’s less accomplished successor.

VN Store

Back