Andy Staples: "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans."

Please explain that difference. Accepting mediocrity is a choice... not a fate.
I'm tired of people accusing me and others of "being ok with being mediocre". Absolutely not the case. I'm not being ok with it, I'm just not living in a delusional stare by saying we're not really a mediocre program. We're not a top 10 program to come to. We're not just a few years removed from relevancy. Haven't been relevant in 20 years. I'm not ok with being mediocre, just acknowledging that we are.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I'm tired of people accusing me and others of "being ok with being mediocre". Absolutely not the case. I'm not being ok with it, I'm just not living in a delusional stare by saying we're not really a mediocre program. We're not a top 10 program to come to. We're not just a few years removed from relevancy. Haven't been relevant in 20 years. I'm not ok with being mediocre, just acknowledging that we are.
What is the meaningful difference? It sounds very much like you are resigned to mediocrity as a fate rather than a condition.

Honestly, if we look at our history after Neyland (1953-Present) we have had a couple bursts of great years but been fairly mediocre the rest of the time. We had a nice 5 year run in the late 60's and early 70's. Then obviously you have the 95-98 run which really has skewed people's perception of the program. Other than that you will have some great years like 56, 87, 89, 01 but there is a whole lot of mediocrity in there.

Mid 1988 thru 2004 (16.5 year stretch), the Vols were 162-40-2, won at least 8 games every year, and finished ranked Top 15 all but three years. That was a nice, sustained run.

Nebraska can also no longer juice their players like the East German women's olympic swim team like they could 20 years ago. That is the big part of their decline.
top-secret-1984-avi-025.jpg

Bo's 8-9 win seasons weren't enough. Let that sink in next time you think about HuskerCountry 2021.

They would have kept Pelini if he wasn’t such a abrasive dick.

Never say never. Tennessee has certainly been wandering in the wilderness for a long time. Maybe one day though they'll remove their heads from their rectums and make the right hire.

Paul Finebaum asked Andy Staples what he would say to Tennessee fans about the state of Tennessee football. Something like "Tennessee is basically irrelevant to the conversation these days, so what is the message Tennessee gives to the fans in Knoxville now?"

Staples basically said (also paraphrased somewhat) that - "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans, who've come to term with what Nebraska is now. Nebraska fans would be happy now just being Wisconsin. That's reality. You win some games, you occasionally compete for the Big 10 title. Tennessee fans need to learn that same lesson. You can't compete for national titles every year at Tennessee. You're not Alabama, you're not LSU. You never will be. Every now and then you will compete for an SEC East title (note: that's not a real thing, Andy), and every so often you may in the mix for a national title. But you won't do it every year, and that's okay. It's not like the 1990s. The days of Tennessee being a major player are over."

Seriously, SCREW this GARBAGE. THAT is the sort of mentality that makes you a Nebraska. "Aw shucks we're just lucky to be playing good this year" horsecrap. I wonder if they said the same garbage about Alabama after Mike Price exploded in scandal and Mike Shula flopped into oblivion. I'll save you the Google searches - they did. Sports journalists used to write about how Alabama was irrelevant, particularly when the NCAA bashed their heads in for the textbook stuff. But here we are 15 years later and these fat flapping gasbags are running their mouths about how Alabama is one of a kind and Tennessee "trying to be Alabama" simply won't work, and they need to be content being a Nebraska or being third in the SEC East division.

Never believe these morons. Never back down. Never stop aiming to be the best. I long for the day when Tennessee can print out every page containing all the garbage these idiots spewed and cram it down their throats until they choke on it.
Many of us older fans can remember both Bama and LSU going through losing stretches/coach searches. We can also remember when Tn beat both Bama/LSU on a regular basis but we fired the coach because we were tired of going 10-2 and only going to a bowl game. I lived in Baton Rouge during LSU's bad years( 1991-........) & fans booing and cussing out the team every time they touched the ball.

Paul Finebaum asked Andy Staples what he would say to Tennessee fans about the state of Tennessee football. Something like "Tennessee is basically irrelevant to the conversation these days, so what is the message Tennessee gives to the fans in Knoxville now?"

Staples basically said (also paraphrased somewhat) that - "Tennessee fans need to learn from Nebraska fans, who've come to term with what Nebraska is now. Nebraska fans would be happy now just being Wisconsin. That's reality. You win some games, you occasionally compete for the Big 10 title. Tennessee fans need to learn that same lesson. You can't compete for national titles every year at Tennessee. You're not Alabama, you're not LSU. You never will be. Every now and then you will compete for an SEC East title (note: that's not a real thing, Andy), and every so often you may in the mix for a national title. But you won't do it every year, and that's okay. It's not like the 1990s. The days of Tennessee being a major player are over."

Seriously, SCREW this GARBAGE. THAT is the sort of mentality that makes you a Nebraska. "Aw shucks we're just lucky to be playing good this year" horsecrap. I wonder if they said the same garbage about Alabama after Mike Price exploded in scandal and Mike Shula flopped into oblivion. I'll save you the Google searches - they did. Sports journalists used to write about how Alabama was irrelevant, particularly when the NCAA bashed their heads in for the textbook stuff. But here we are 15 years later and these fat flapping gasbags are running their mouths about how Alabama is one of a kind and Tennessee "trying to be Alabama" simply won't work, and they need to be content being a Nebraska or being third in the SEC East division.

Never believe these morons. Never back down. Never stop aiming to be the best. I long for the day when Tennessee can print out every page containing all the garbage these idiots spewed and cram it down their throats until they choke on it.
There is no comparison; it's easier to recruit players to Knoxville than Nebraska. Knoxville is surrounded with lots of good recruits; just gotta get the right head ball coach.

Andy Staples needs to mind his own business.

Tennessee has the same resources as any if those schools he mentioned. Lightning struck at Bama and what's to say it can't happen here with the right hire?

It may not be the coach we hire now, but who says it can't be the next one?

Honestly, if we look at our history after Neyland (1953-Present) we have had a couple bursts of great years but been fairly mediocre the rest of the time. We had a nice 5 year run in the late 60's and early 70's. Then obviously you have the 95-98 run which really has skewed people's perception of the program. Other than that you will have some great years like 56, 87, 89, 01 but there is a whole lot of mediocrity in there.
Good grief you left out 85 that alone makes your post full of it. We were at one short time ago one of the winningest programs in the country. That was true through the 80's and 90's. We had beaten alabama more than any team ever through the 90's and were second most in all time wins all during the 90's. I think Auburn has passed us there. We were good all through the 90's not just 95-98. This University has a rich tradition and many great teams and players have went through here. 2nd in wins to Bama for years before this stretch started in around 08. Even 2000-08 we had a few good years before Phil's time came to a close. This program is much more than a couple burst of great years it is filled with great teams and players from the days of Neyland through the 90's. GBO!!!!

Reactions: volfeeva

Hardheaded bonehead decisions are the basis. Failure to accept the T formation in the late 50s was a joke but once Tennessee did, they returned to prominence. Hiring a 28 yr old position coach instead of Majors was a complete boneheaded decision. The last 15-20 years of administrative hires (not just AD hires) has been a complete clusterf&ck.

If the AD, the football coach, and the boosters (each and all) are comitted to winning championships, it will happen.

If they are not, then it won’t happen.

Blowhard, know-it-all,make-it-up-as-you-go media types can eat a bowl of rancid Vienna sausages.

There is no universal law of success in the NCAA... well, except $$$$.

Last edited:

We have to keep our fire burning. As long as we fans still turn up and demand success we’ll still have hope

It’s called baiting. “Journalists” like Finebaum and Staples continue to bait Tennessee fans because we take the bait, post it on the internet, then proceed to foam at the mouth in outrage over it.

We could stop posting their stuff and tweeting at them.

Reactions: volfeeva

Damn @Voltopia might be the greatest thing I have ever witnessed! Preach brotha! We need way more of people like you!

They won the SEC in 1999. They won 10 games in 2002 and 10 games in 2005

‘99 is your fault. We stomped a mud hole in them and walked it dry in Tuscaloosa that year and would’ve done it again. You missed the extra point in Gainesville to let them back into the West title and then y’all got your brains beat in the championship. Something like 37-7. Thanks for nothing....again, Florida. Up yours.

Reactions: igotworms
Lol. Here are some 10 year records of a few of the most successful programs over the last 20 years. . . Right before their success:

USC
90: 8-4
91: 3-8
92: 6-5
93: 8-5
94: 8-3
95: 9-2
96: 6-6
97: 6-5
98: 8-5
99: 6-6
2000: 5-7

UsC WiLl nEvEr bE gOoD. . . CaN’t cOmPeTe wItH tHe eAsT cOaSt

LSU
89: 4-7
90: 5-6
91: 5-6
92: 2-9
93: 5-6
94: 4-7
95: 7-4
96: 10-2
97: 9-3
98: 4-7
99: 3-8

LsU WiLl nEvEr cOmPeTe wItH tHe BaMas and fLoRiDaS

Clemson
94: 5-6
95: 8-4
96: 7-5
97: 7-5
98: 3-8
2000: 9-3
2001: 7-5
2002: 7-6
2003: 9-4
2004: 6-5

ClEmSoN WiLl aLwAyS pLaY sEcOnD fIdDlE tO fSu and now with mIaMi in the ACC, wAtCh oUt!

There are more examples. Seriously, go look for yourselves. Did you guys ever think that maybe it’s just. . . not that bad? Like juuuuuust maybe UT happened to coincide their worst decade ever with the explosion of the internets and the social medias? Imagine if Clemson or USC went 3-8 in today’s world. Try to imagine LSU going 2-9 in today’s world of trolls and blowhards. Like most things, it’s timing. In UT’s case, bad timing. The stars will align someday, hell maybe they are shifting into place right now. The basics of probability or inevitability or whatever theory you want to use shows that the rubber band will one day snap back in your favor. In the meantime just go with the flow. Laugh at the memes. Brush off the blowhard articles. And Live! Ok that last part is just thrown in for dramatic effect but you get the idea.

Lol. Here are some 10 year records of a few of the most successful programs over the last 20 years. . . Right before their success:

USC
90: 8-4
91: 3-8
92: 6-5
93: 8-5
94: 8-3
95: 9-2
96: 6-6
97: 6-5
98: 8-5
2000: 5-7

UsC WiLl nEvEr bE gOoD. . . CaN’t cOmPeTe wItH tHe eAsT cOaSt

LSU
89: 4-7
90: 5-6
91: 5-6
92: 2-9
93: 5-6
94: 4-7
95: 7-4
96: 10-2
97: 9-3
98: 4-7
99: 3-8

LsU WiLl nEvEr cOmPeTe wItH tHe BaMas and fLoRiDaS

Clemson
94: 5-6
95: 8-4
96: 7-5
97: 7-5
98: 3-8
2000: 9-3
2001: 7-5
2002: 7-6
2003: 9-4
2004: 6-5

ClEmSoN WiLl aLwAyS pLaY sEcOnD fIdDlE tO fSu and now with mIaMi in the ACC, wAtCh oUt!

There are more examples. Seriously, go look for yourselves. Did you guys ever think that maybe it’s just. . . not that bad? Like juuuuuust maybe UT happened to coincide their worst decade ever with the explosion of the internets and the social medias? Imagine if Clemson or USC went 3-8 in today’s world. Try to imagine LSU going 2-9 in today’s world of trolls and blowhards. Like most things, it’s timing. In UT’s case, bad timing. The stars will align someday, hell maybe they are shifting into place right now. The basics of probability or inevitability or whatever theory you want to use shows that the rubber band will one day snap back in your favor. In the meantime just go with the flow. Laugh at the memes. Brush off the blowhard articles. And Live! Ok that last part is just thrown in for dramatic effect but you get the idea.
Liked for massive amount of typing, spacing, and tabs!

Reactions: DarthGator

VN Store

Back