Android discussion (apps, etc.)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I got a bit bored with iOS and decided to jump over to Android on my primary phone, at least until the iPhone 8 drops... but even then, that device has a lot to live up to with the latest devices from Samsung.

Anyway, I've used Android phones for several years, but never as my primary phone, so I have some issues I'm trying to solve.

1. Messaging. Are there any messaging apps you guys recommend? I've tried both Android Messages and the stock Samsung app, but I miss swipe to delete the text thread.

2. This is a probably a weird request, but I sometimes like to save web page articles. On iOS i'd use the reader view to trim down the article to just the basics, then go to print. From there I could save as a streamlined pdf straight to dropbox. Any thoughts on how I might be able to accomplish this on Android?

3. Any other must-have apps I might now know about?

4. Samsung Pay vs Android Pay. What's the difference? Which is better and why?

5. Is there a difference between the "Galaxy Apps" from Samsung and the apps from the Play Store?

Always get your apps from the play store. I have an S7 and it just seems to update better when I do that.

I use the messenger + that comes on the Samsung I like it a lot.

As far as saving web page articles you could also do a screen shot its quick and easy.

I don't use the pay apps so I wouldn't know. I don't trust them for some reason.

+1 for Message+

What I frequently use:
Dolphin Browser
Spotify
MapMyRun
Google Maps
I have a couple of medical apps (medications and current literature)
G-strings guitar tuner
Ultimate Guitar Archive
Trip Advisor
Key Ring (discount card bar code saver)
Swain Event
GoodRx (pharmacy savings)

For coolness:
SkyMap
Avenza maps (downloadable interactive trail maps)

To save web articles, Dolphin allows you to convert to PDF or save to Google drive.

Always get your apps from the play store. I have an S7 and it just seems to update better when I do that.

I use the messenger + that comes on the Samsung I like it a lot.

As far as saving web page articles you could also do a screen shot its quick and easy.

I don't use the pay apps so I wouldn't know. I don't trust them for some reason.
Thanks for the advice on the Samsung apps. I've seen conflicting reviews. Taking a screenshot isn't a terrible idea for the articles, but I really prefer pdfs.

+1 for Message+

What I frequently use:
Dolphin Browser
Spotify
MapMyRun
Google Maps
I have a couple of medical apps (medications and current literature)
G-strings guitar tuner
Ultimate Guitar Archive
Trip Advisor
Key Ring (discount card bar code saver)
Swain Event
GoodRx (pharmacy savings)

For coolness:
SkyMap
Avenza maps (downloadable interactive trail maps)

Good stuff. I definitely need to check out Key Ring.

To save web articles, Dolphin allows you to convert to PDF or save to Google drive.
I'll try Dolphin and see if it works for me.

Samsung pay is better. You can use it anywhere you swipe your card (but not insert like a gas pump). I miss the convenience

I've recently purchased some VR goggles off amazon. Anyone know of any good VR apps?

I'm Verizon and I use the verizon messenger app. It sinks to all my other devices, Laptop, desk top, and tablet. Also, it allows for calling over wifi in the app on my tablet.

I have a Google Pixel phone.

Also use Hangouts as my messaging app with the wife. Like that we can use it as an IM system while at work

Samsung pay is better. You can use it anywhere you swipe your card (but not insert like a gas pump). I miss the convenience

Yeah that sounds cool that you can use it most anywhere.

Miss? What phone are you rocking these days?

Yeah that sounds cool that you can use it most anywhere.

Miss? What phone are you rocking these days?

Samsung pay is easily the best it there

I have a pixel. Been a great phone as well

I've recently purchased some VR goggles off amazon. Anyone know of any good VR apps?

I'm Verizon and I use the verizon messenger app. It sinks to all my other devices, Laptop, desk top, and tablet. Also, it allows for calling over wifi in the app on my tablet.

I have a Google Pixel phone.
The desktop sync feature is nice. I may have to look at that.

Also use Hangouts as my messaging app with the wife. Like that we can use it as an IM system while at work

Yeah it's a shame they removed the ability to send standard sms via Hangouts. Google's messaging startegy is a bit confusing to say the least.

Samsung pay is easily the best it there

I have a pixel. Been a great phone as well

PJ when you were using Samsung pay did you just leave your NFC on all the time?

PJ when you were using Samsung pay did you just leave your NFC on all the time?

You can use nfc but it's not needed. There is a tech that mimics the magnetic card swipe. That way you can even use it at old machines that don't have nfc

Seen a girl pay with her Gear S3 watch the other night, can't remember where now but the cashier was like "miss you need to pay" as she walked away with her bag. The girl said "I paid with my watch and it's waiting on you to hit the button and I have my receipt on my phone."

You can use nfc but it's not needed. There is a tech that mimics the magnetic card swipe. That way you can even use it at old machines that don't have nfc

This is awesome. I feel like I just stepped into the future. Lol.

Seen a girl pay with her Gear S3 watch the other night, can't remember where now but the cashier was like "miss you need to pay" as she walked away with her bag. The girl said "I paid with my watch and it's waiting on you to hit the button and I have my receipt on my phone."

Lol. That's hilarious. Love the girl's response.

VN Store

Back