"American alliance is worth nothing..."

German Businesses Blast Trump's NordStream 2 Sanctions As "Attack On EU Sovereignty"

A German business group said on Friday that any attempts by the United States to stop Europe from buying Russian gas in the form of additional sanctions against Moscow would be an attack on European sovereignty, reports Reuters.

"If the U.S. decided to sanction the use of Russian gas, that would be an attack on German and European sovereignty," said Wolfgang Buechele, chairman of the German Committee on East European Economic Relations (GCEEER?) at a new year news conference.

The United States has threatened sanctions against European firms involved with the Nord Stream 2 pipeline which would carry gas straight to Germany under the Baltic Sea. The project is being spearheaded by Russian state gas giant Gazprom, and has been driving a wedge between Germany and its allies over economic harm to Ukraine, which would be deprived of lucrative gas transit fees it currently charges.

"I believe the Nord Stream 2 project is in the pure interests of not just Germany but also of Europe," said Buechele of the pipeline, which would branch off into Europe-wide gas transmission networks.

It's A Gas... Germany Outraged By US Colonial Arrogance

"Nord Stream 2 is the 1,222-kilometer pipeline being laid in the Baltic seabed which will greatly increase delivery of natural gas from Russia to Germany. It will double Germany’s import of Russian gas when complete. But the Trump administration has repeatedly voiced its objection to the project, claiming that it will give Moscow undue political leverage over Europe. Trump has warned of sanctions on participating companies, which include German and Austrian firms.

The flagrant ulterior agenda is seen as the US trying to undermine German-Russian energy trade, for the purpose of selling more expensive American liquefied natural gas to Europe. So much for American free-market capitalism!"

I don’t care where the Germans buy their stuff from to be honest . I just hate that holier than thou crap they pull about Putin and Russia Russia Russia when they get up in front of the cameras . Putin Bad - while fondling his Balzac under the table . That’s the whole euro elitist crap that get under my skin .

Reactions: davethevol
Do we usually sanction our allies?
I think we sanction anyone who does business with "X".

also interesting that Trump is standing behind these sanctions against Russia enough to piss off the Europeans. Interesting that that angle doesn't get brought up.

I think we sanction anyone who does business with "X".

also interesting that Trump is standing behind these sanctions against Russia enough to piss off the Europeans. Interesting that that angle doesn't get brought up.

You brought it up so lets see. Does not having a supply of natural gas hurt our allies and do sanctions on Europe help us?

Do we usually sanction our allies?

What do we want ? I mean” WE “wanted sanctions on Russia Russia Russia right ? Well “WE “got what we wanted . Now do you let everyone run those sanctions ? If you enforce sanctions on the “bad people “ and your allies ignore them , what do you do ? Foreign policy is a funny thing huh ?

Is it a good idea to sanction our allies, thus weakening them.
That’s a good point. And if anything, this might drive them to have better relations with Russia. I don’t know what the right answer is.

We will soon become Great Britain in the world of foreign policy ("Remember when we were the most powerful nation on the planet?"), which honestly, as long as we slash defense spending I am fine with. We cannot have the influence of Great Britain while still spending like the world's foremost power.

We will soon become Great Britain in the world of foreign policy ("Remember when we were the most powerful nation on the planet?"), which honestly, as long as we slash defense spending I am fine with. We cannot have the influence of Great Britain while still spending like the world's foremost power.

Huh?

You brought it up so lets see. Does not having a supply of natural gas hurt our allies yes and do sanctions on Europe help us?depends on our ultimate goal

to the depends above. If hurting Russia is more important than the damage on our allies, then yes it "helps us". wouldn't call it good policy, but its not like you can effectively sanction a country and then exempt their biggest trade partners.

imo its time for the European continent to go into another big war, this time we just sit it out. don't play winners or losers with them. just be there to do business.

Our foreign policy has been crap for years. I just see our days as the dominant super power coming to a close. Britain was it for a long time and now they are relegated to remembering when the sun never set on the British empire. If we are relegated to such a role, I would prefer we not try and spend like we are the big dog any longer.

Our foreign policy has been crap for years. I just see our days as the dominant super power coming to a close. Britain was it for a long time and now they are relegated to remembering when the sun never set on the British empire. If we are relegated to such a role, I would prefer we not try and spend like we are the big dog any longer.

I don't completely disagree with you on this.

I tend to agree.

However, I do think when trouble comes knocking, we should go kick the hell out of whomever causes said trouble. No occupation or "rebuilding." Just kill them, break their toys and come home to parades and a cold six pack.

I tend to agree.

However, I do think when trouble comes knocking, we should go kick the hell out of whomever causes said trouble. No occupation or "rebuilding." Just kill them, break their toys and come home to parades and a cold six pack.
World police or for the ego boost? I only see those two reasons for engaging in what you describe.

"When trouble comes knocking..."
I dont think anyone would disagree with that. If 15 Saudis kill 3000 Americans, we should bomb Saudi Arabia.

The comment you left earlier wasn't really clear about who we would be attacking and drinking cold beers over. The majority of our fights since WW I have been over military alliances... not over outright attacks on America.

VN Store

Back