Alternate black jerseys this year: possible Alumni Hall leak?

Lighten the hue of orange a little to yellow, and bam. We're Missouri !

"Fahr Heupel. He thinks he still coaches at Mizz!"

While I'm pretty traditional in how I view vol uniforms, the smokey gray made some sense with our mascot/mountains. There are also not very many like it. Lets use that one if we have to use gimmicks to get kids here or fire up the millennials.
Pretty sure black jerseys are as old school traditional as anything we’ve ever worn

Attachments

• 428E6533-87E7-46E6-A543-24C1DBE98592.png
    428E6533-87E7-46E6-A543-24C1DBE98592.png
    785 KB · Views: 55
Since the "official" school colors are orange and white and this is somewhat of a departure, Why not Amaranth helmets, with a Vermilion T, coupled with Burlywood jerseys, offset by a 1/2" outline of Coquelicot. Pants with Gamboge "fade to checkerboard" set off with a dashing Aureolin color. Socks.. don't forget the socks. Wouldn't it be great to see just plain old black socks, on black high top cleats, with two Glaucous colored vertical stripes.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Wierd.

I like the look on away of gray helmet , white jersey and gray pants .. or orange helmet , white jersey, gray pants ..

Since the "official" school colors are orange and white and this is somewhat of a departure, Why not Amaranth helmets, with a Vermilion T, coupled with Burlywood jerseys, offset by a 1/2" outline of Coquelicot. Pants with Gamboge "fade to checkerboard" set off with a dashing Aureolin color. Socks.. don't forget the socks. Wouldn't it be great to see just plain old black socks, on black high top cleats, with two Glaucous colored vertical stripes.

Makes no sense to stick to the one color, Orange, that makes Tennessee immediately recognizable and has through the years and is a pretty decent brand. And get off my lawn! You don't have to be a Sooner to be a Boomer, however if we keep mucking around with the color schemes, we just might be mistaken for Oklahoma some day.

This /\

Until the Vols start winning SEC games consistently and finishing in the top tier of the conference, I don't want to hear a go^^**ned word about different color uniforms, piped jump up music in the stadium or some kind of space alien helmet design. All that stuff is really designed to accomplish is to separate the sheep from more of their money. Go buy yourself an Orange T-shirt and a hat and be done with it. None of that crap contributes at all to a winning attitude or THE WINNING EDGE.

"Ball! Oskie! Cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle … THIS IS THE WINNING EDGE." - Maxim #5

Literally nothing else matters.

dear-god-please-make-it-stop.jpg

The place exploded when Lane snuck the guys back onto the field in black jerseys. That was a lot of fun. So much energy

If you’ve never read the backstory of what happened in the locker room there, it’s a terrific read. Easy to see why they came out as fired up as they did and shredded SC.

Give me one orange helmet(preferably a white T and stripe and facemask) occasionally and leave our jersey and pants alone.

Attachments

• 3E8F61E9-BC86-4754-A62F-F1B0744A077A.jpeg
    3E8F61E9-BC86-4754-A62F-F1B0744A077A.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The thing that amuses me most about this is when internet supersleuths produce a link showing that Tennessee played with black on their uniforms 50 million years ago, as if that somehow constitutes incontrovertible proof that black is in Tennessee's color palette and therefore everyone must accept it now and cannot argue because "they already used it before." Mmmm. Yes. Comedy gold.

We’re not baking cookies around here. Suck it up, buttercup.
I’ve been to hot games in the direct sunlight many times envying the jerks who get the first shade as the sun moves 🥵 . Also been to games when the wind from the river gets whipping around the stadium in the winter 🥶 . Not to mention the mile plus long walks back to the improv parking lots 😂 . Nothing easy about being a UT fan

What is this totemic fascination with the (lack of) color black? It seems to be quasi-generational.

Does it go back to growing up watching The Matrix trilogy? ...vampire-themed fare? ...Men in Black? ...all the Batman cartoons and movies?
Not criticizing, just trying to understand.

And if you're willing to try to understand why many older fans are just as turned off by black as you are turned on by it, consider the associations it has for us:

Black is the color worn by Quakers and Amish... funeral home operators... the crayon you only used for tires, tree trunks, and when you couldn't think of any actual color to use. If you were coloring with a bossy sister, it's the only crayon of hers she'd let you use.

For us, black is NEGATION... of light, color, and--speaking hole-istically--gravity. Black is the color spray paint you use when your only goal is to cover up the color that's already there.

So I get it: for you, black is the color you associate with heroes and badasses. Cool totems that fight hard and are politically safe.

Understand that for previous generations, black is the color of pacifists, theoretical holes, nothingness... and Elvis' pompadour. Nothing there you'd want next to you in a battle!

Maybe the future is holographic jerseys, for which fans would buy glasses that make the uniforms appear the color of their choice. And instead of Nike vs Adidas competing for those AD dollars, it would be Ray-Ban vs Oakley.

But one thing never changes... somebody will be making money off the images we've been programmed to admire.
Now where did I store that ol' Davy Crockett coonskin cap? Coolest thing I ever put on my head, until Beatles wigs hit the scene...

Last edited:
Other than the players cleats (black) and the coaches as well as the fans pants/shorts (khaki), I'd be ok with requiring every dad gum thing in Neyland to be Orange or White.

Leave all your whimsical purple, pink, black, lavender impulses at the gate.

Last edited:
No it should only be OK on a Halloween night game.

Halloween is the only thing anyone will think of when they see us wearing that.

The smokeys are OK.

Orange, White, Smokey Grey. There are several combos that would be different but the same tradition wise as well for the purest. I think a Orange helmet with White Power T and face mask would be pretty neat for a game or two.

Orange, White, Smokey Grey. There are several combos that would be different but the same tradition wise as well for the purest. I think a Orange helmet with White Power T and face mask would be pretty neat for a game or two.

My understanding (I think DeerPark once said this) is that we will never have orange helmets because the color against the material of a helmet is too inconsistent based on lighting. At night under the lights, the helmet would look a completely different shade than it would under the midday sun. Matching it with the orange anywhere else on the uniform would be impossible.

Who actually cares if Tennessee wears your dream uniform?Siriously!Black,All Orange,Stormtroopers, WTF Ever! The black has not and never will look good... The cleanest and most sinceble "Alternate" uniform they've ever worn was the Smokey Grey uniforms. Uniforms do not help a team win games! Coaches and players willing to accept and believe in the coaching does.

VN Store

Back