Allan Houston or Dale Ellis?

even though they were both brilliant from outside the line, i don't think of the two together. Both in different roles in college, with Ellis being very effective inside and much more physical.Believe Ellis was actually listed as a forward and often used as 4. Houston was a work of art. Too mad neither took us to a final four.

Allan Houston. My favorite Vol ever. He was so smooth. Best looking shot I’ve ever seen.

Ellis was great, but he didn’t develop that outside shot until he got to the NBA, so he and Houston were very different types of player in college.

If Dale had his 3 point shot developed in college like he did in NBA, it would be him by a long shot. If Houston had played for Bruce or Rick, it would be a no brainer for him. Both equally dominant. IF someone can emerge as SEC POY on Vols this year, like these guys, we're in for a GREAT season...we have the ingredients (like LY), but need the straw to stir the drink and put the team on their back when the game's on the line...like Dale/Allan or Grant.

Reactions: VOLED
Allan Houston. My favorite Vol ever. He was so smooth. Best looking shot I’ve ever seen.

Ellis was great, but he didn’t develop that outside shot until he got to the NBA, so he and Houston were very different types of player in college.
Maybe it's when you grew up...I didn't see Houston live as much but to me, Michael Brooks had just as much of a sweet shot. His shot follow thru was like taking a cookie out of the jar on the top shelf.

Reactions: papatomany
Dale Ellis.......................

Ellis_Dale_action_6.JPG

I remember Allen Houston came into hyper one time when we were playing pick up basketball. He didn’t play with us but picked up a ball and shot around a little. It was then that I appreciated the disparity between someone like me, that played In High school and thought he was pretty good, and someone at the professional level. He was big, athletic, graceful, quick and just on A whole other level. I also played against Michelle Marciniak once and I can tell you those Lady Vols players were athletes too. She didn’t mess around even in a pick up game.

When people talk about Ellis not developing 3 point shot in college they have to take into account there was no reason to. There was no 3 point shot in college at the time and he was so good at getting shots down low why take a lower percentage shot for 2 points when he could go low for higher percentage shot and get 2 points.

If Dale had his 3 point shot developed in college like he did in NBA, it would be him by a long shot. If Houston had played for Bruce or Rick, it would be a no brainer for him. Both equally dominant. IF someone can emerge as SEC POY on Vols this year, like these guys, we're in for a GREAT season...we have the ingredients (like LY), but need the straw to stir the drink and put the team on their back when the game's on the line...like Dale/Allan or Grant.

Not sure if you mean developing into SEC POY talent or actually being the SEC POY “like these guys”, but Dale Ellis was a 2x winner and Allan didn’t win it. But Allan was better than a few of TN’s SEC POY’s, he just happened to play when Chris Jackson and Shaq did… a coupe of LSU’s Mount Rushmore players.

Reactions: papatomany
Maybe it's when you grew up...I didn't see Houston live as much but to me, Michael Brooks had just as much of a sweet shot. His shot follow thru was like taking a cookie out of the jar on the top shelf.

I will respond to you, because I was a big fan of Brooks as well.

I just think if you judge them on accomplishments, then it has to be Dale Ellis. If you judge them on potential, well maybe you could make a case for Houston. However, Houston had the opportunity to help mold a good team, and recruit other good players to Tennessee, and it didn't happen.

So, all that said, I have to say Ellis by quite a bit. Houston's time at Tennessee was a terrible time for UT basketball, and what followed wasn't much better. Some might separate what the individual did on the floor, from everything else, but that is just hard for me to do.

Dale Ellis easily. My second favorite Vol behind Bernard King. Double and triple teamed constantly, but shot 65% his junior season anyway. The very definition of "unstoppable" in the post, deadly from the mid-range, GREAT defender.

Reactions: wmcovol

VN Store

Back