All Time NBA Players Thread - No Jordan vs. Lebron Debate Allowed

Lebron: Dr. J is my 2nd favorite player all time

Dr. J: Lebron is overrated by everyone

That's gotta hurt. Weird that Dr. J doesn't have one guy who didn't play between the 60's and 80's, right?

And I don't understand the argument about player-driven super teams. That's not a valid argument. Who cares if it's management or players driving it? If you played on a super team, you played on a super team. Why does it matter to your legacy how you got a super team? Makes no sense. These old dudes gotta be so jelly of all the $ and player empowerment.

On a side note, I recently listened to an interview with Dr. J and I gotta say he is the most boring guy I've ever heard on a sports pod. I was doing yard work and he was putting me to sleep.

The NBA is doing a top 75 players for the 75th anniversary. They said a spot on the top 50 list doesn't guarantee you a spot on the top 75. I got to thinking about who will be added, and I'm struck by how weak most of the drafts were from 1986 until 2002. We're probably adding no more than 12 from those 17 years (Shaq was already on the top 50 team). Only 6 candidates from a 10-year stretch, and only 3 of them were superstars. That's a terrible run.

1627913529757.png

I only count 10 names from the following 11 years, and nobody from the last 7 years will get the nod just because they haven't played long enough. So we're probably only looking at around 22 new names from the last 35 drafts.

1627914048380.png

I no longer follow the NBA but when I did Wes Unseld was my favorite player. He was the toughest player in the paint and what he did at 6'7" was just incredible.

Reactions: VolFaninFla
I only count 10 names from the following 11 years, and nobody from the last 7 years will get the nod just because they haven't played long enough. So we're probably only looking at around 22 new names from the last 35 drafts.

View attachment 384308

There is gonna be some projecting IMO for a couple spots. I bet Luka makes it

There is gonna be some projecting IMO for a couple spots. I bet Luka makes it

That would be crazy with just 3 years under his belt and no playoff success. Last time, Shaq was the only one with less than 10 years of experience (he only had 4 years but had a finals appearance and 2 ECF appearances).

That would be crazy with just 3 years under his belt and no playoff success. Last time, Shaq was the only one with less than 10 years of experience (he only had 4 years but had a finals appearance and 2 ECF appearances).

But Dame is on there with 9 years under his belt and no playoff success.

200.gif

Reactions: TBrown
"Jordan would never recruit" is a dumb argument that I've heard many times (not sure if I heard it here) and it turns out it's false.

Screenshot_20210909-130016_Chrome.jpg

Oak wrote a book so he's on Simmons promoting it. He seems like he'd be one of the old greats who hates the modern NBA but he seems all about it. Said his favorites to watch are Embiid, Lebron, and Steph.

Also, Simmons asked him about Mason having a reputation for not sleeping and Oakley goes off saying they didn't sleep much at all. Crazy dudes today are going plant based and sleeping all the time and in chambers, etc. and dudes back in the day were just going on benders.

OK, now Charles Oakley said Giannis would have had to come off the bench back in the day....

Isiah Thomas on Charles Oakley:

"[Giannis would dog anybody in the 80s, 90s, 2000s and 3020 when we get there.

Giannis would be going around Oakley and all of them. He will be dunking on all of them. Giannis is bigger, faster and stronger. You can say all that stuff because you don't play anymore and you've got gray hair, you're sitting on the sidelines smoking cigars about what you used to do.

That dude would dog you every single time ya'll step on the court. You might hit him hard, okay, but after you hit him, you've got no game."

I'm reading Blood in the Garden. A few highlights so far:

Xavier McDaniel would walk around the locker room with a towel hanging from his erection in order to establish dominance.

The summer of '93 (after the Bulls had eliminated Knicks two years in a row), Pat Riley and his family were on vacation and got booted from their hotel suite to make room for his airness.

Ewing not understanding the waiting game involved with Bird rights led him to tell his friend X that he didn't think NYK valued him, and so he signed with the Celtics.

I had forgotten Anthony Mason was a Euro journeyman.

There is a good chance John Starks would have been cut before he made a good impression, except for the fact that he immediately got injured and there was a rule that you can't cut injured guys under his specific circumstances.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back