All time defensive line

You putting him over Reggie White?
Over Haynesworth maybe. But Barnett broke the sack in 3 seasons...
So what, do you realize that Atkins was listed among the best DL in college football AND NFL history....he dominated the position like no one else and was easily considered one of the best overall defensive players of all time in the sport pre-1990
Breaking a record or two is nice, but being completely dominant and recognized amongst your peers for decades is more impressive

Amazed at the lack of mentions for Leonard Little and Jesse Mahelona. Both were first team all SEC.
True but Little only played DE for about a year and a half. Got hurt his 2nd year and moved to MLB his Sr year. It would be hard to put him on an all-time DL list over some of the other greats.

Reactions: krichunaka
So what, do you realize that Atkins was listed among the best DL in college football AND NFL history....he dominated the position like no one else and was easily considered one of the best overall defensive players of all time in the sport pre-1990
Breaking a record or two is nice, but being completely dominant and recognized amongst your peers for decades is more impressive

Doug Atkins was the best defensive lineman to ever play at UT and is in the conversation as being the best DL to ever play in the NFL. In 1975, he was voted the Most Outstanding Player in the SEC for the quarter century 1950-1975. His last season was the 1951 season. That's how great Doug Atkins was. NFL players were scared of him on and off the field.

The only reason he doesn't still hold all of the sack records is: the sack was not a recognized stat in his time.

Last edited:
Doug Atkins was the best defensive lineman to ever play at UT and is in the conversation as being the best DL to ever play in the NFL. In 1975, he was voted the Most Outstanding Player in the SEC for the quarter century 1950-1975. His last season was the 1951 season. That's how great Doug Atkins was. NFL players were scared of him on and off the field.

The only reason he doesn't still hold all of the sack records is: the sack was not a recognized stat in his time.

Teams only threw about 10-15 times, if that, back then. Even the pros didnt throw near as much. Atkins had all of the physical measurements, 6-8, 275 lbs and a former basketball player (proof he was quick) to be a #1 draft pick in the 2020 NFL Draft if he played today. He was the poster boy for the best sports team nickname, "Monsters of the Midway".

Just how many of these "STUD" DL or DEs has anyone on here seen HURDLE an OL to get to the QB???

Atkins was doing it back in the 50s and 60s----no one has seen a DE his size do it since he played....not even Reggie.

I like Barnett....but he made his $$ running around OTs......

Atkins made it running around, thru, and jumping over them......

We may have produced more great defensive linemen than any other position throughout the years. It's hard to pick four, but who would make up your line. I've got Atkins and Barnett at end and White and Henderson at tackle.

I'm gonna go with the '71 Vikings. The Purple People Eaters Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Gary Larsen and Roy Winston. Close second...'75 Steelers Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Ernie Holmes and Dwight White....and yeah, I know you meant UT lines. Just felt like tossing something different into the mix. :cool:

I'm gonna go with the '71 Vikings. The Purple People Eaters Carl Eller, Alan Page, Jim Marshall, Gary Larsen and Roy Winston. Close second...'75 Steelers Joe Greene, L.C. Greenwood, Ernie Holmes and Dwight White....and yeah, I know you meant UT lines. Just felt like tossing something different into the mix. :cool:

I'll call your Vikings and Steelers.....and raise you the Cowboys '77 DL of Harvey Martin, Randy White, Too Tall Jones, and Jethro Pugh.
I'll add in just for fun----'85 Bears Hampton, McMichael, Frig, and Dent....

Reactions: wmcovol and CAVPUT
I'll call your Vikings and Steelers.....and raise you the Cowboys '77 DL of Harvey Martin, Randy White, Too Tall Jones, and Jethro Pugh.
I'll add in just for fun----'85 Bears Hampton, McMichael, Frig, and Dent....

I remember several times seeing that 1985 Bears line gain significant yardage on an opposing offense for 3 consecutive plays. More than once it forced them out of field goal range, and into a punting situation.

Reactions: MikeVol44
DE: Derek Barnett and Doug Atkins
MG: Steve DeLong or Bob Suffridge
DT: John Henderson and Reggie White

Reactions: mercuryvol
True. Was more responding to the more general point of older players and whether they could compete against modern players.

Atkins is that rare player who would've dominated the game no matter when he played......
He had long, strong arms and excellent hand skills with which he could pummel any OT playing today....and keep them from holding him.

Atkins is that rare player who would've dominated the game no matter when he played......
He had long, strong arms and excellent hand skills with which he could pummel any OT playing today....and keep them from holding him.

Yes, the only difference is that, if Atkins played with the benefits of today’s state-of-the-art strength and conditioning programs, plus nutritional and supplementation protocols, he would be even more powerful than the player who dominated the SEC and NFL for 20 years. He would probably be 6-8, 350 pounds and just as lean as he was in his heyday. It makes you shudder to think of the damage he would inflict on opposing quarterbacks and running backs.

Yes, the only difference is that, if Atkins played with the benefits of today’s state-of-the-art strength and conditioning programs, plus nutritional and supplementation protocols, he would be even more powerful than the player who dominated the SEC and NFL for 20 years. He would probably be 6-8, 350 pounds and just as lean as he was in his heyday. It makes you shudder to think of the damage he would inflict on opposing quarterbacks and running backs.

EXACTLY! He would be an absolute terror on the field....make Watts look like a middle schooler

EXACTLY! He would be an absolute terror on the field....make Watts look like a middle schooler

According to Warren Ariail, the Saints’ trainer in 1968-69, “Johnny Unitas told me one time [that] Doug was the only player he was afraid of. Dick Butkus said the same thing. Now if you can imagine Dick Butkus being afraid of someone, you get an idea of how Doug affected people.” Wildman Remembered : Although Doug Atkins Was Not Exactly a Saint, He's Soon To Be in New Orleans' Hall of Fame

According to Warren Ariail, the Saints’ trainer in 1968-69, “Johnny Unitas told me one time [that] Doug was the only player he was afraid of. Dick Butkus said the same thing. Now if you can imagine Dick Butkus being afraid of someone, you get an idea of how Doug affected people.” Wildman Remembered : Although Doug Atkins Was Not Exactly a Saint, He's Soon To Be in New Orleans' Hall of Fame

When Hall of Famers are talking about 1 player....Atkins....'nuff said....

Reactions: FrankenVol54
Here are a few sometimes awestruck, sometimes hilarious comments that expound upon the intimidation factor that Doug Atkins naturally evoked:

Bill Curry (Colts center, 1967-72) on playing Doug Atkins: "This guy is not a regular human being. If we don't irritate him, he will not kill any of us today. So, don't you dare mess with him."

Another Bill Curry observation: "He was, like, from Olympus. If you envision Zeus . . ."

And a third Bill Curry comment: “Doug took two steps, leaped completely over and landed on top of Johnny Unitas. It was just surreal.”

Bill Werndl (XX Sports Radio, San Diego): “He was 6-8, 265 lbs., and he was one of the nastiest human beings to ever walk this earth.”

Alex Hawkins (Colts running back, 1959-65): I saw him eliminate the entire Minnesota backfield. He put Brown and Mason out on two straight plays. And, the following week, he put Hornung and Taylor out with clotheslines on two consecutive plays.

All of these comments were excerpted from an old NFL production entitled “Top Ten Pass Rushers.” Footage of Atkins showed his patented hurdle move that he regularly used in route to the quarterback. Unfortunately, the link that I originally cited no longer appears to be operative.

Reactions: FrankenVol54

But other great players from the past would probably do well also. Maybe not at their original positions, but a great athlete will find a way.

A player who may have been a terror on the line at 5'10" 215 may well be a running back or linebacker in the modern game, especially when you factor in the modern nutrition and S&C programs.

Also, look at modern players like Julian Edelman, Wes Welker, Christian McCaffrey, Jim Leonhard, Trindon Holliday, Bob Sanders, and Drew Brees. All are (or were at one point) considered small for their position.

Just saying that you can't underestimate someone because they played way back when, and they would be undersized in the modern game. A George Cafego would probably still be a handful catching passes today.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
my favorite quote of all time:

"Doug Atkins was like a storm rolling over a Kansas farmhouse. He came from all directions, and all there was to do was to tie down what you could, and hope he didn't take the roof."

Reactions: wrangler and CAVPUT
For a hilarious story of how Doug Atkins helped Bill Anderson, John Ward's old sidekick, make the Washington Redskins’ roster by deliberately making it look like Anderson was able to consistently block Atkins in a preseason game, tune in to the 5:30 mark of .

VN Store

Back