All things STOCKS

INTC at 6.23x PE with a 3.89% yield ($1.44 dividend on $6 earnings) isn’t a bad idea rather than owning debt. It was a $40 plus stock for a long time and has quickly fallen From $45 to $36-$38 in just a couple of weeks.

Yep...next paycheck I may dump a bit more into INTC to bring my cost basis down further (right now it's around $45).

With all this fur flying (and from the looks of it, continuing to do so for a while), I can't help but wonder if I'm better off just continuing with DRIP across the board and putting 'new money' into something like SCHD until it's ~25% of my portfolio and then reassess the balance of the other positions.

Thunder - what are those 6 stocks? Also, what do you think of CAT which had a large drop yesterday. Seems to me that the Infrastructure Bill would be a + for CAT.

Here’s a list of 10 from a month ago. The yields should all be higher today unless any have had their stock price rise since 5/17.

10 Highest Paying Dividend Stocks in the Dow

CAT nearly tripled off of its low because of the proposed infrastructure spending and it has given back a third - so it is still around 2x the low from 2 years ago. The PE is 15x and the dividend is just under 3% ($4.80 on earnings of almost $12). I wouldn’t expect a huge spike in share price from here. But it should make money for LT buy and hold investors. Not too risky. A great company. They do a ton of non-domestic business and the US$ remains stronger than most - so their equipment will be expensive for foreign buyers. China could be bottoming out economically so they should benefit from them as a customer to offset some of the more challenging non-domestic sales.

CAT is on sale today (-6.1%). Institutional buyers will quickly push the price back up.

20K is not off the table at the current rate, my hope is that we can stay above 25K until November and somehow infuse stability in the markets with a change in Washington. Agree on jumping in early on the techs and small biopharmaceuticals looking to bolster the larger companies portfolio.

In recent years, elections have influenced the market pretty significantly. And it seems like a virtual lock they Republicans sweep the House and Senate. Hopefully, good times are coming.

Reactions: Majors
I can't believe DIS had dropped so low. I thought it was a good buy at 120. Never would have imagined it would drop below $100 again.

I can't believe DIS had dropped so low. I thought it was a good buy at 120. Never would have imagined it would drop below $100 again.

I don’t know what percentage of their value has been ESPN, but they’re losing the ability to squeeze every cable system in the country well over $100/sub per year. Plus they pay a fortune for rights to have NCAA games and professional leagues.

Ameritrade/Trefis:
$150/share total valuation (stock: $94)
$103/share Media & Content Distribution (69%)
$47/share Parks, etc (31%)

$49/share Direct to Consumer (33%)
$42/share Linear Networks (28%)
$11/share Content Sales & Licensing (8%)

Last edited:
Reactions: mrorange211
In recent years, elections have influenced the market pretty significantly. And it seems like a virtual lock they Republicans sweep the House and Senate. Hopefully, good times are coming.
History is the other way, as I would think you'd know. I don't know why that is, but it is. I don't think the democrats are good for the stock market, but the data are just there. not much I can do about it.

I don’t know what percentage of their value has been ESPN, but they’re losing the ability to squeeze every cable system in the country well over $100/sub per year. Plus they pay a fortune for rights to have NCAA games and professional leagues.

Ameritrade/Trefis:
$150/share total valuation (stock: $94)
$103/share Media & Content Distribution (69%)
$47/share Parks, etc (31%)

$49/share Direct to Consumer (33%)
$42/share Linear Networks (28%)
$11/share Content Sales & Licensing (8%)

Interesting. "Linear networks" is ESPN along with the Disney channel, ABC, etc., while "Direct-to-Consumer" includes ESPN+ with any other kind of streaming. So I don't know how much is sports and how much is "the little mermaid" but we do have some more info there. As often as we post on this thread "This is a billion dollar business" you'd think we'd be used to it. This just gives you an idea where the billions are coming from, and like a lot of people, I don't pay for it anymore. Sling is about as far as I'll go, and they might be losing on it.

Are you confident enough in that prediction to put some money back in? I’m not

I’ll be thrilled with a 1% rise.

I was surprised that there wasn’t a sell off at the end of this week. I wanted to buy the leveraged bear ETFs after the early week rise, but there never was a point that looked like it was going to reverse. Maybe next week I will buy FAZ and/or SPXS if the week opens strong. But after the historic consecutive weeks long declines, the leveraged bear ETFs might not be a good idea. I’ve never used a stop loss. Maybe I’ll try a trailing stop loss with FAZ or SPXS if I feel good about the early movement.

I did sell BLOK and CURE today with modest profits after holding for 2 weeks. I wouldn't mind staying long in those two for a few months or longer, but I didn’t like how they were so thinly traded. I might buy XLV and hold for the year (or trade the swings if it is volatile as the ejection election approaches). I still want some crypto exposure (or something to trade) but something other than BLOK. Maybe one of the affiliated stocks like COIN.

I think that I will begin selling OOTM puts on AMZN soon and just build a big position if the options go against me. I’ve only bought calls a couple of times. If we ever reach new 52-week highs I’ll start writing covered calls.

if you believe this, from Yahoo, most actives are:
SWN
AMD
AAPL
SOFI
CCL

I noticed that all the cruise lines were up a lot.

i've been buying mostly nclh, and a little ccl and rcl. Yesterday got me back to almost even. Cruise ships are packed more than a year out, and at high prices.

I’m looking to exit Spirit (SAVE). Pretty weak share price during a bidding war between Frontier and JetBlue. Still under $25 while those other 2 airlines are offering north of $30.

Reactions: mrorange211
i've been buying mostly nclh, and a little ccl and rcl. Yesterday got me back to almost even. Cruise ships are packed more than a year out, and at high prices.
i was surprised at RCL’s decline. I looked up their stock price Tuesday and couldn’t believe it.

So one of the companies I own stock in is having a spin off company later this year. Due to the number of shares I own I will be receiving some shares in this spin off company before the the IPO. Have any of you experienced this and if so, what can I expect if anything?

So one of the companies I own stock in is having a spin off company later this year. Due to the number of shares I own I will be receiving some shares in this spin off company before the the IPO. Have any of you experienced this and if so, what can I expect if anything?

The new shares will show up in your account automatically. You will get cash instead of fractional shares. The cash received is usually considered a return of capital and you reduce your cost rather than take a taxable gain or loss. After the spin off you will need to allocate your cost basis between the two (or more) companies. The broker might do it automatically if you recently purchased your shares. Otherwise the percentage for each will be on the website of the original company under an investors relations link.

Reactions: Rocky_Top_Vol13
I've got a $150 MSTR 10/21 put I purchased this AM. $2950. EOD $3400. I think I'm gonna let it ride until July 13 (CPI #)

I have a partial fill at 3:52pm. I’ll either unload it in the morning or round up. I was considering COIN but they haven’t had good news or analysts ratings. MSTR is nearly direct Bitcoin while COIN is more crypto picks and shovels with lots of potential competition. My BLOK buy limit day order didn’t trigger which doesn’t bother me - it’s thinly traded. I’m just puttering around with crypto. I’m very cautious that the coins can still lose half or more.

VN Store

Back